PDA

View Full Version : What amps are you guys running?

stlcheckmate
07-13-2012, 08:50 PM
I think I have it narrowed down between the JL m600/6 and the wetsounds HT-6. They are basiclly the same amp, the wet sounds is 110x6 rms, and the JL is 100x6 rms. OR different rms in different configurations. I just want one amp, to run 6-6.5 and 1 or 2 12s. I dont care about running alot of power to the subs cause I dont need the huge bass, just enough to make it sound good. But I do want all the highs and mids.

Crazy Weasel
07-13-2012, 09:27 PM
I choose Alpine. I have 2 pdx-f6's and a pdx-m12. We installed 10 R series 6.5's and 2 R series DV 12" subs. What really makes the difference is a Clarion preamp hidden in the glove box. Let's us make small adjustments as different songs play. I did also use an alpine head unit and remotes. All this in a Formula Fastech 292.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Soul Asset
07-13-2012, 09:35 PM
I have 2 JL 100s. They do the trick just fine.

PlowTown
07-13-2012, 10:43 PM
Arc

jstrahn
07-14-2012, 01:02 AM
Alpine Pdx. Good power and decent clarity. Class d so they are very efficient and run cool.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Griff
07-14-2012, 02:08 AM
Two Alpine PDX's. Don't slack on a sub amp or the highs will drown out the bass. It needs to be balanced.

bsloop
07-17-2012, 03:07 PM
Overall is goal to have some sound or rock out for hours?

Are you planning on running all three pairs in the cockpit?

A single amp is rarely the best solution.
Fully power the coax speakers with something like you have already proposed or a 4 channel amp that is 2ohm stable at the wattage needed.

Shirt tail on Griff, fully power the sub. With 6 speakers on the highs, the sub will be working to deliver a balanced sound. Sub amps are comparatively cheaper than full range. Its best to pair the sub / amp from the start for optimal power. IE, if the amp produces max power at 1ohm, a dual voice coil 2ohm should be used.
Also, there is going to be enough $$ spent on the system as a whole, corner cutting will yeild more damage and disappointment than savings in the big picture.

stlcheckmate
07-17-2012, 06:30 PM
Im going to run 2 pairs (4 speakers) of wetsounds xs-650s, and a kicker 10 inch sub in a wavesandwheels sub box. Im going to run a JL M700/5. I think this should be pertty damn loud. I heard just one set of xs-650s, underpowered and they were loud as fu...I want to run the system as long as we are coved out..so sometimes it could be 2 hrs..sometimes it could be as much as 6 or longer..Im going to see how loud these 4 speakers are going to be, and if needed, I will then add another pair..

bsloop
07-18-2012, 10:59 AM
That sounds more "doable" with a combo amp.
You should be able to find a shop in a large city like STL that you can compare head to head the JL, Alpine, and Kicker 700.5's.
JL would be my thrid choice. Generally the most expensive and too "tight" sounding for the water.
It really comes down to listening to the speaker/amp paring IN the intended environment preferably.

stlcheckmate
07-18-2012, 02:35 PM
well the problem is there really arent any places that have that set up in a boat..or the intended enviroment..hell no one really sells wetsounds in STL. Stateamind water sports is a dealer for wetsounds but they dont have the xs-650s in a boat..They do have the rev-8s on their box truck that they have for shows and stuff like Brostock..And he cranked that up in the parking lot, and seriously we were like 50 feet or more from the back of the truck and we had to almost yell at each other to hear..and he said it was only half powered..I know that the 650s arent going to be anywhere near that loud cause they dont have horn tweeters..but thats really the only place that has this kinda set up..

sparkie124
07-24-2012, 10:18 PM
Im running a MHD900/5 jl combo amp. Its driving 4 m770 jl speakers and 2 jl 5w10s. It does great. I built a box into the seat base out of marine starboard. That was a pain. Also make sure the amp is in a vented area. Not a closed cabinet in the cuddy. I have a second amp driving 4 jl m650 and 1 jl 10w7 that im in the process of installing.

FieldHouseDrinker
08-15-2012, 07:40 PM
Whatever Waves and Wheels puts in. It's far louder than I need it to be LOL

Marine Clean
08-15-2012, 08:25 PM
Kraco 8track bustin w/ 4 6x9s.

PlowTown
08-15-2012, 08:50 PM

+1 At half volume, people can't even be in my boat lol

emilsr
08-15-2012, 10:43 PM
Kraco 8track bustin w/ 4 6x9s.

Same setup here, 'cept with a Pyramid equalizer.

I also have Alpine, hidden in the bulhead since they don't produce much heat. The dealer/boater/friend that installed all of it said I'd get about 90% of the sound of the high end systems at about half the price.

Plow? You've heard yours and mine. Is this close?

PlowTown
08-16-2012, 01:58 AM
Same setup here, 'cept with a Pyramid equalizer.

I also have Alpine, hidden in the bulhead since they don't produce much heat. The dealer/boater/friend that installed all of it said I'd get about 90% of the sound of the high end systems at about half the price.

Plow? You've heard yours and mine. Is this close?

Yours does sound phenomenal. I'm not sure how far away your boat on the lift was from us on your deck or how hard you were pushing your system but it sounded very "full". Perfect balance of highs, mids, and lows for the volume level and it was perfectly clear. I'd have to say you have better lows and I have better highs. I'm not sure what subs your running but I chose to run just a single JL 10" free air. I only wanted decent bass while inside the boat but ignorantly loud and crystal clear mids/lows for coving out. To put mine in perspective... I pulled into Bear Bottoms cove with my exhaust open, stereo half way up, and my wife could here the stereo crystal clear at the no wake sign when she was standing on the docks. I lack the bass of yours to even my sound out when far away but I didn't want to give up an inch of storage space for sealed subs. I'm not a stereo expert but I'm impressed by my install because I haven't been able to turn mine up to the point that the Focals distort (my ears will bleed first) and I can have it cranked up for 4+ hours while coving with no power/sound loss. I'm an extremely happy W&W customer.

Flynon H2O
03-10-2013, 10:18 PM
i have 6- 6 1/2 kickers up top with a 1000 watt ix kicker amp for them and 2- 12" alpine type R with a 1000 watt JL X mono amp just for the bass. its ok adding 2 more 6 1/2 this spring. atleast i can hear it while standing on the swim platform:mrgreen:

Collision Course
03-12-2013, 11:13 AM

same here, What ever Waves and Wheels installed with my system. I think its a small 5 channel Arc. the sound is perfect!

RUNNINHOTRACING
03-14-2013, 09:14 AM
+1 At half volume, people can't even be in my boat lol

just the way i like it [smilie=trink39][smilie=trink39][smilie=trink39]

ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!![smilie=crazy]