PDA

View Full Version : Club Car golf cart won't charge

CRUISER JOHN
02-11-2005, 10:00 PM
I have an electric club car golf cart 48V that won't charge. All batteries were replaced last year and all ran perfect. I did not disconnect the battery while it was in the garage or charge since probably november. I checked 1 fuse at the charger connection on the cart side and it was good. anyone have any other suggestions before I get ripped off taking it to the dealer??!! Also I did check the water level and they were all the same level not sure how full it should be and don't think I would lose water in a couple months of use.

flatlander
02-11-2005, 10:05 PM
get a 12 pack and call me [smilie=071.gif]

Tempest38
02-15-2005, 12:34 PM
You want the water up in the "well" but not to the very top as it can boil out and lose it's goodies while charging.
Does your cover of your charger open? Unplug it ofcourse first. I think on the one I had there were fuses inside but DON'T TOUCH anything else like little red coils of wire. Look up something like ClubCar forum on the internet. I'm sure you can find something somewhere as many carts as are out there. Are inside the plug in connections for the charger clean?
Good Luck!

Ms. Sea Esta
02-15-2005, 04:24 PM
How cold is your garage? Last winter, we left the batteries in the cart outside and they froze. Wasn't a big deal since we were about due for new batteries. However, in your case, it would suck since they are new. This year, hubby took all of them home. :mrgreen:

Tempest38
02-15-2005, 10:14 PM
That's true! If a battery is low on charge and freezes it's a dead player. Know a guy who used to do that to keep in a newer battery with a warranty. When he took them and said it don't work they'd check it and say don't know what happened but it's dead dead.

CRUISER JOHN
02-16-2005, 07:42 PM
That's true! If a battery is low on charge and freezes it's a dead player. Know a guy who used to do that to keep in a newer battery with a warranty. When he took them and said it don't work they'd check it and say don't know what happened but it's dead dead.
Thanks for the info.still working on it. Hope they aren't shot. :oops: I think they had a 1 year warrany I'll have to look for the paper work. Wish me luck [smilie=106.gif] [smilie=106.gif] [smilie=balls.gif] [smilie=balls.gif] [smilie=106.gif] [smilie=106.gif]

JMS
02-16-2005, 08:40 PM
How about getting a volt meter and doing some basic testing ? :roll: That would eliminate a lot of guessing and probably an expensive trip to the dealer.

CRUISER JOHN
02-16-2005, 09:02 PM
[quote="JMS"]How about getting a volt meter and doing some basic testing ? :roll: That would eliminate a lot of guessing and probably an expensive trip to the dealer.[/quo
Cart has (6) 8volt batteries. 5 of them read between 3 and 3.4 volts and 1 reads .6. I bypassed the .6 batt and it still would not take a charge. The charger has been tested by the dealer and works fine. I cleaned all lugs and terminals with a wire brush. I found 1 fuse on cart and it was not blown. The batteries did not freeze and the cart has been stored in my garage. Still working on it but done for today.

Tempest38
02-16-2005, 09:31 PM
Unhook the batteries from the cart and it's electrical system. Charge them and check voltage. Hook it back up and monitor voltage to deteremine if there is a draw or drain in the system. Check light switches, radio, tv, dvd player, amps, electric fuel pump, wipers, hatch and trim pumps, winch, key switch, backup lights, anchor lights etc. Also wouldn't hurt to poke around with the meter with batteries charged and see if there is power where there shouldn't be. IF the batteries did by chance freeze at the current charge levels they may have bitten it. Also have batteries checked with a load meter once charged. Be sure they don't crank the load switch up too fast causing the needle to show junk. Had a dealer do that to me tying to sell me new batteries. He said they were junk but I put them in my electric forklift and it would spin the tires...
Good Luck

JMS
02-16-2005, 09:44 PM
I don't claim to know squat about golf carts, but basic electrical principals should apply. Check the output from charger at the batteries while everything is hooked up and in the cart. I know you said the charger has been tested and is good, but I assume it was tested when it was removed from the cart. While installed in the cart I would check charger output voltage both at the charger and at the batteries. How about bench charging the batteries? Voltage from the batteries is either down because of poor state of charge or dead cells in the battery. With a few basic test you should be able to isolate the problem.

Reggie
02-18-2005, 05:01 PM
I had the same problem with my cart. What happened was the batteries were too dead to take a charge from the charger. The dealer had me put a regular battery charger on two of the batteries. The positive lead on one battery, and the negative on another one. I left them on for a over night charge, then I could plug in the regular cart charger, and they all charged back up. I can't rebember which batteries it was to put the charger on. Call the dealer and maybe he could help you over the phone. Hope it helps, good luck [smilie=1056.gif]

CRUISER JOHN
02-22-2005, 05:44 PM
I had the same problem with my cart. What happened was the batteries were too dead to take a charge from the charger. The dealer had me put a regular battery charger on two of the batteries. The positive lead on one battery, and the negative on another one. I left them on for a over night charge, then I could plug in the regular cart charger, and they all charged back up. I can't rebember which batteries it was to put the charger on. Call the dealer and maybe he could help you over the phone. Hope it helps, good luck [smilie=1056.gif]
Thanks I'll give that a try this week. I just got back in town.

FunHome
02-26-2005, 01:50 PM

Yep, the same thing happen to me this past year!!! To DEAD to charge! Mine is a EZGO though, but I bet it's the same.

CRUISER JOHN
02-26-2005, 08:37 PM
OK I got my A$$ back out to the garage and connected my regular charger. I will leave it on slow charge over night and see what happens in the morning. Thanks for the input. [smilie=trink39]

Reggie
03-06-2005, 09:40 AM
Cruiser, your leaving us hangin' did it work ???? I sure hope so [smilie=1056.gif]

CRUISER JOHN
03-06-2005, 04:26 PM
Cruiser, your leaving us hangin' did it work ???? I sure hope so [smilie=1056.gif]
Still working on it. Sorry for not getting back to you. I found a loose connection on one of the big Capacitors. I removed the connection and cleaned it put it back together and over tightened the nut and broke the terminal. [smilie=1381.gif] Gonna have to order parts. :oops:

Reggie
03-06-2005, 05:38 PM
sometimes it goes from bad to worse. with weather like this it's getting to be golf season !!! It's a good sport like boating, you can drink and drive !! [smilie=1056.gif]

CRUISER JOHN
04-18-2005, 05:12 PM
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: FIXED IT!!!!!! IT Turns out the cart has a computer and the charger will not kick on unless it sees 30Volts ( it's a 48 Volt cart). So what I did was set my 12v car charger to the Deep Cycle quick charge setting (60AMP) kept everything connected and and put the charger leads on each battery for about 3 minutes each until they reached about 6V then quickly plugged in the cart charger and it started to charge!! Hope this helps anyone else out there with the same problem!! I'm sure the guy at the Club Car Shop knew this and was trying to get a couple $100 more out of me. RAPP SUPPLY in INGLESIDE IL.[smilie=flip8] That's the last dollar you will get from me [smilie=011.gif] . Thanks for NOTHING!! [smilie=101.gif]

CRUISER JOHN
04-18-2005, 05:14 PM
P.S. The lead I broken was not on a capacitor but it was a coil. I figured that out after I got it out.