Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Cig TG
    Post Thanks / Like

Good 6x9 Speakers for the boat??

I know some of you out there are big time stereo guys, I could use your advice.

The speakers in my Cig are trashed. I need to get 4 6x9 speakers but what are some good ones? 2 are located under the back bench and the other two are basically next to the front seats kind of blocked. Do I need to get marine grade speakers or can I put regular car speakers in there? I doubt they would ever get wet with where they are located. But 2 of them will get "some" sun....

I don't need top of the line either but am willing to pay for very good quality; both in sound and construction.... what do you all advise?

I have looked at a couple infiniti's and some alpines.... all 2-way speakers....

Please hit me with your thoughts... thanks!
    “The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'.”

My Ride
    Boatless...
    Post Thanks / Like
    I changed all of mine to Sony 4 years ago they work well. they have a plastic cone.
    AMER3 is very knowledgeable on this .
    MWBP: Insanity Required.

My Ride
    .38 Special Ed
    Post Thanks / Like
    Memphis Audio makes some very nice marine speakers as well
    Best quote of the day so far...."I used to always make it rain at the strip clubs, but they kicked me out cause the dancers were slipping on the nickles." courtesy of DJ it made me laugh out loud

My Ride
    420 Searay Sundancer
    Post Thanks / Like
    I put Boston Accoustics in ours. They sound great but really suck the power. That was the excuse for the amp's anyway.
    Wetter is better

My Ride
    Eliminator 28 Daytona
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have Diamond Audio seperates all alluminum and have stood up very well to the elements and sound great... not sure if they make 6x9's though.

I've always been a big fan of Boston Acoustics also! Have them in my truck.

My Ride
    .38 Special
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had infiniti's in mine before I re-did everything and went with JL. The infiniti's were WAY better than the stock Clarions. They were moderately priced, and I was happy with them.

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    DC Gold. I had them in my Pantera and just put them in my AT. Fully water proof and 3 year warranty. 80 watts rms/300peak. They sound great and put out a ton of bass. I have the Classic line and they sound great.

Best price is at Lafayette Radio at about $200/pair. That is where I got mine.
    http://www.lafayetteradio.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Even marine speakers won't even survive direct contact in the "Splash" zone very long.
    You might want to check for sure on the brands you are looking at, but Marine normally means that the connections and electronic parts are conformal coated and that the speaker cone is non absorbent.

The moisture trouble in a boat only gets worse when you put the cover on after getting the interior wet. Think of a solar sauna. The high humidity corrodes the copper and lifts circuit traces. If your boat is all fiberglass and vinyl, you have less of a sponge to release water, so marine components aren't as important. If you have a boat that gets wet, has carpet and gets covered a lot, marine components are a better long term solution.

A lot of the guys here run Polk Momo speakers and they make a great 6x9 that comes with a crossover. They go clear down to 33 Hz on the lows. If you are powering them with an amp, they would be a good option to look at.

My Ride
    94 Regal 8.3 Ventura SC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Crownline
    Even marine speakers won't even survive direct contact in the "Splash" zone very long.
    You might want to check for sure on the brands you are looking at, but Marine normally means that the connections and electronic parts are conformal coated and that the speaker cone is non absorbent.

The moisture trouble in a boat only gets worse when you put the cover on after getting the interior wet. Think of a solar sauna. The high humidity corrodes the copper and lifts circuit traces. If your boat is all fiberglass and vinyl, you have less of a sponge to release water, so marine components aren't as important. If you have a boat that gets wet, has carpet and gets covered a lot, marine components are a better long term solution.

A lot of the guys here run Polk Momo speakers and they make a great 6x9 that comes with a crossover. They go clear down to 33 Hz on the lows. If you are powering them with an amp, they would be a good option to look at.
    I like the MOMO's.....Mine at least are constructed with a carbon fiber so it doesn't seem to absorb the moisture. The crossovers are not waterproof so you want to mount those where they don't get wet. Great sounding speakers though.
    "Tadpole"

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 00Crownline
    Even marine speakers won't even survive direct contact in the "Splash" zone very long
    Not True with DC Gold. DC Gold actually recommends soaking them in fresh water twice a year if you boat in a saltwater environment. I have rinsed mine off before with a hose.

http://www.dcgoldaudio.com/1838060.html

My Ride
    What ever they let me drive
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'd stay away from 6 x 9's if you can help it. Maybe build a pod or spacers to take up the space of the holes and put some 6.5's in. I'm use to working on Baja's so that may not be a good idea and you should stay old school and use 6 x 9's
    www.BigThunderMarine.com

My Ride
    Cig TG
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie
    I'd stay away from 6 x 9's if you can help it. Maybe build a pod or spacers to take up the space of the holes and put some 6.5's in. I'm use to working on Baja's so that may not be a good idea and you should stay old school and use 6 x 9's
    I'm not against that idea.... would 6 1/2's deliver better sound than 6x9's ??
    Thanks!
    “The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'.”

My Ride
    1999 Baja 29 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    6x9's aren't exactally my favorite either, althoug I have 2 in my 29. I used MTX for all my stuff & am happy with it, but then again I know dick about stereo stuff. I'm sure there are better chioces out there. If I had it to do over again, I would go with JL stuff.
    Stirring the pot since 2005!

My Ride
    Cig Cafe
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eichhoma
    I'm not against that idea.... would 6 1/2's deliver better sound than 6x9's ??
    Thanks!
    You would probably need to listen to each back to back for any sound differences, but this would be the case for any speaker. But you will have much more options to choose from w/ 6.5" over a 6x9".

My Ride
    Yamaha SX230HO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Its a boat, not the most accoustically friendly environment. IMO its a waste of money to put in some high end JL's/Infinitys, ect. Your not going to be listening to Beethovan looking for a concert hall experience with good staging and a flat frequency response.

My suggestion would be to go buy some cheap $60 sony/jvc/pioneer/ect. Any of them will sound loud and punchy which is all really want in a boat. You wont feel as bad either when the get trashed by the sun/water or stolen.