Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 16 to 27 of 27
  1. #16
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO & 5MM Northshore
    My Ride
    Yamaha SX230HO
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    But just to follow that up, if you do go high end, I'm another vote for JL Audio I've bought alot of their stuff and have been extremely happy with it all. If you do go high end you will have to ditch the 6x9's and switch to 6.5's with mounting plates. At that point you might as well go with seperates and mount the tweeters up away from your feet so you get a bit of staging.

  2. #17
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Chi-Town
    My Ride
    2006 Fountain 42 EX
    Age
    54
    Posts
    237
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slt
    Its a boat, not the most accoustically friendly environment. IMO its a waste of money to put in some high end JL's/Infinitys, ect. Your not going to be listening to Beethovan looking for a concert hall experience with good staging and a flat frequency response.

    My suggestion would be to go buy some cheap $60 sony/jvc/pioneer/ect. Any of them will sound loud and punchy which is all really want in a boat. You wont feel as bad either when the get trashed by the sun/water or stolen.
    I disagree I have a JL system that runs off of a Clarion head unit that was in the boat when I bought it and I only have 800 watts and my system sounds better than systems that have X2 that amount of power. I run X2 10in JL marine subs and just one set of the 7.7in componets with 300 by two and a 500 by two and the system is more than enough for my boat. I have lived by the rule that your system is only as good as your weakest part.....Just my .02
    Bad Influence Offshore...Are you under the influence?

  3. #18
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Papillion, NE
    My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Age
    51
    Posts
    6,466
    Post Thanks / Like
    I guarantee that you will not be disappointed with the DC Gold 6x9's. I had 4 in the Pantera and just installed 2 in the AT. The holes were already cut, so it was the best option.

  4. #19
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO & 5MM Northshore
    My Ride
    Yamaha SX230HO
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by B.Z.
    I disagree I have a JL system that runs off of a Clarion head unit that was in the boat when I bought it and I only have 800 watts and my system sounds better than systems that have X2 that amount of power. I run X2 10in JL marine subs and just one set of the 7.7in componets with 300 by two and a 500 by two and the system is more than enough for my boat. I have lived by the rule that your system is only as good as your weakest part.....Just my .02
    nice system, thats pretty much exactly what I would do if I wanted to put in something nice.

    I was big into car stereos back in the 90's and still have 8 JL subs collecting dust in the basement. After spending way too much money on it, I realized that my home stereo always sounded many times better for a fraction of the cost. I gave up on trying to make my vehicles concert halls. These days, Best buy speakers hooked up to a decent headunit are enough for me.

  5. #20
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Location
    Wichita KS
    My Ride
    Baja 320
    Age
    46
    Posts
    1,188
    Post Thanks / Like
    Memphis Audio gets My vote as well!
    Be Good, or Be Good at It!

  6. #21
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    St. Louis
    My Ride
    Cig TG
    Age
    44
    Posts
    2,226
    Post Thanks / Like
    Great information! Thanks everyone. I think I am just going to put in some middle of the road Kenwood, Alpine or Infiniti 6x9's and call it good.... Anything is going to be better than how it sounds now. Thanks again everyone!
    “The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'.”

  7. #22
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Lee's Summit, Mo.
    My Ride
    Boatless...
    Age
    65
    Posts
    9,323
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by slt
    Its a boat, not the most accoustically friendly environment. IMO its a waste of money to put in some high end JL's/Infinitys, ect. Your not going to be listening to Beethovan looking for a concert hall experience with good staging and a flat frequency response.

    My suggestion would be to go buy some cheap $60 sony/jvc/pioneer/ect. Any of them will sound loud and punchy which is all really want in a boat. You wont feel as bad either when the get trashed by the sun/water or stolen.
    Yep your right go to Walmart and get a set of Sony Explode, put the extra money in the tank...
    MWBP: Insanity Required.

  8. #23
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Blair, NE
    My Ride
    Crownline 202
    Age
    47
    Posts
    329
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eichhoma
    Great information! Thanks everyone. I think I am just going to put in some middle of the road Kenwood, Alpine or Infiniti 6x9's and call it good.... Anything is going to be better than how it sounds now. Thanks again everyone!
    Good call. I've got Infinity 6.5s and a Perfect 10 sub in my 202 (powered by a Kicker amp), and they sound fine. Got them off of eBay, too, so I didn't spend a fortune. Good luck!
    We ain't wrong. We ain't sorry. And it's probably gonna happen again.

  9. #24
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    O'Fallon MO & Lake O 45mm
    Age
    49
    Posts
    73
    Post Thanks / Like
    On this subject I have four Sony Marine 6.5" speakers (4) that are 1 year old that I just took out of the boat and replaced with Focal. They work fine just were not enough to handle the amp I have. "Free to a good home"

  10. #25
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    Joplin Mo.
    My Ride
    oldslowmaxum
    Age
    49
    Posts
    709
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have MB Quart speakers. I am very happy with them. www.sonicelectronix.com

  11. #26
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    O'Fallon, MO & 5MM Northshore
    My Ride
    Yamaha SX230HO
    Posts
    113
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by CrownLS
    On this subject I have four Sony Marine 6.5" speakers (4) that are 1 year old that I just took out of the boat and replaced with Focal. They work fine just were not enough to handle the amp I have. "Free to a good home"
    pm sent

  12. #27
    Join Date
    Aug 2018
    Location
    North Bergen
    Posts
    1
    Post Thanks / Like
    I understand that I was a little late for the party, but I have some exp. that I want to share...
    I bought four speaker 'boxes' from Halfords for the corners of the saloon. Can't remember the make but they are relatively small and neat with surprisingly heavy plastic cabinets with a larger speaker at bottom and a smaller dual cone (includes a tweeter) just above. They're black and produce quite a good sound for around £20 a pair about 10 years ago or so.
    They've worked without fault since, during which we've cruised full time for about seven years. So my advice is keep it cheap and cheerful unless you're a real hi-fi buff and want to spend heaps more for a very small percepted improvement in reproduction.

    The cockpit speakers like this https://soundrating.com/best-6x9-speakers/ were a totally different matter. Here we spent over £80 for a pair of Pioneer dual cone waterproof speakers that produce superb sound. We've only had these about four months (while ashore for a big refit) so it's very, very early days. However during our cruising we've gone through three pairs of cheap (£20 ish a pair) so-called waterproof speakers that the UV destroyed within 2-3 years, so do not believe it economical to buy cheap here.
    There are a lot of cool videos on YouTube, here’s one of them. Good luck
    Hope this helps

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
MWBP Sponsors









Yellow Pages