My Ride
    1992 23' Century Arrow
    Thanks

Staring at the sky!

This past weekend was the 2nd time I have had my 92 23' Century arrow out and the first time I have had more than two people on it. It has two seats upfront and a bench in the back. I had 4 people sitting on the back and me and my wife in the front. It is a closed bow. I could not get it to plane out for anything. It would sit at 3000rpm and point straight at the sky. It has a 21p. SS prop with a 350mag. At WOT it runs 5000rpm (when it planes out).
    Do I need to switch to a 4blade? a different pitch? am I underpowered? I know all the weight is in the back but I thought the 350 had enough umph. Please help before season is over!
    I always have good intentions, just the wrong execution.

My Ride
    '92 Baja 270
    Thanks
    A 4 blade SS prop and trim tabs will help out. You get on plane quicker with the 4 blade but you may lose a little top end.
    "Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listening to her, or something, I don't know, I wasn't really paying attention."

My Ride
    1992 23' Century Arrow
    Thanks
    I can't afford trim tabs at this moment or even a 4blade SS. I know aluminum sucks but if i get a aluminum 4 blade to last me this year will it work? do i need to change pitch? What about composit blades, they are cheaper yet?

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Thanks
    My 24 Outlaw with a 454 mag was very hard to get on plane with 5 people and a full tank of fuel with 3 blade prop. A 4 blade prop will make a huge difference.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,104 Times in 564 Posts
    Check around you can pick up used 3 blade aluminum props cheap. Aluminum is not junk for what you need. With that much load you need to drop the pitch to 19 and maybe a 17. Watch your RPM's as you will gain RPMs with the 17 and 19 props but as stated you will lose top speed.

Unfortunatly you can't always have both 'power' and 'speed'. Props are easily switched for the situation.

Think of a 400 hp ski boat..... with the correct prop they will only run 45 mph top end........... but they can pop 5 skiers out of the water without straining. Switch the prop and it will run 60 mph but will probably not be able to get one person out of the water.

Ask around....people have aluminum props laying around and they will be more than happy to let you try them out.

Good Luck

My Ride
    21' Bayliner
    Thanks
    The only thing I would use a composite for is to get back to the dock. They make a descent emergency spare and that's about it..

My Ride
    1992 23' Century Arrow
    Thanks
    So i have one vote for a 4 blade and one vote for a 17 or 19 pitch 3 blade. Can anyone break the tie. If the 21ss already runs 5000rpm getting a smaller pitch could be dangerous couldnt it? Is the same pitch (21) four blade a better option or will it not actually make that much difference getting that damn nose down.

Thanks
    the options as I see it.....
    ......You said, at this time you could not afford trim tabs or a 4 blade SS prop..........thus those are eliminated.

Finding someone who has a 19 or 17 pitch aluminum prop to try IS in your budget.

Yes your RPMs will increase but you do not have to run the boat wide open, if indeed one of them works and you can pop up on plane with that large of a load.

If the 17 or 19 does not work then that option is out at the cost of $0.00.

If one of these props work, you might be able to find $50 in your budget to purchase a used one.

The prop can be put on when you are taking a large heavy load out on the water......your original prop can be placed on when you have a lighter load. You can switch the props on the water in 5 minutes if needed.

Last option.... Get rid of some beer or some friends!

Star gazing is a beautiful thing this time of year

My Ride
    1992 23' Century Arrow
    Thanks
    I have a 19p aluminum prop from a previous boat that has been reworked a few times (also an alpha drive). I guess I will try that one out. I have seen 4blade aluminums for around 140bucks. I can afford that or should i just hold off till i have money for a 4blade SS.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by rweber81
    I have a 19p aluminum prop from a previous boat that has been reworked a few times (also an alpha drive). I guess I will try that one out. I have seen 4blade aluminums for around 140bucks. I can afford that or should i just hold off till i have money for a 4blade SS.
    If you take the first step of the aluminum 4 blade, you can always hang onto it as a backup if you switch to SS later. Nothing sucks worse that destroying a prop early on a weekend and having to call off the rest of it because you can't find the prop you need readily available.

Thanks
    I do not ever remember seeing a 4 blade aluminum.

Try what you have first or what you can borrow first to see if it is taking you in the right direction. Right now you are on a trial mission....the only way you know is to put it on and try it. I'll bet Bustag's left nut that you have a better chance of getting the loaded boat on plane with the 19 than what you have on it now (because it will not plane now!!!)

Thanks
    My bad. (as my son would say)
    Sorry I didn't see this sooner. My presence on MWPBP has been poor due to in shop responsibilities.

We sell 4 blade aluminum props for VERY reasonable prices. This will cure your problem and make the boat fun to use.

If we can still help, call me! We also have smaller pitched 3 blade alum. props used for good prices.

Brett
    Brett A. Anderson
    BBLADES Professional Propellers, LLC.
    Shop 920-295-4435
    FAX 920-295-4436
    www.bblades.com