Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

New Arena for KC!!

Not boating-related, unless they move boat shows there, but great for KC!!!

From the KC Star…

The opposition to the downtown arena “awakened a sleeping giant, and a pride and a determination that we were going to decide our own destiny. We're doing it.”

Mayor Kay Barnes

Kansas City voters took a gamble on downtown's future and approved a new arena Tuesday, ending one of the most bitterly contested issue campaigns in recent memory.

“Today's vote was a huge positive turning point for our city,” Mayor Kay Barnes said as she celebrated with supporters Tuesday night.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting, Kansas City residents voted, 57 percent to 43 percent, in favor of boosting hotel fees by up to $1.50 per day and rental-car fees by up to $4 per day to help pay for a $225 million to $250 million arena. The facility, dubbed the Sprint Center, is to be built at 14th Street and Grand Boulevard.

It is expected to open in 2007, shortly before Barnes leaves office.

The mayor made the arena her administration's top priority and campaigned for it with more gusto than she has shown for any other initiative since she took office. It took on the appearance of a personal crusade, especially after St. Louis-based Enterprise Rent-A-Car mounted a costly and aggressive campaign to try to defeat it.

“The mayor turned this from a project into a cause,” said Steve Glorioso, a pro-arena campaign consultant.

Barnes said the opposition “awakened a sleeping giant, and a pride and a determination that we were going to decide our own destiny. We're doing it.”

Voters supported the arena in most sections of the city, both north and south of the Missouri River.

The arena is envisioned as a key component of a larger downtown redevelopment project, which also will include the H&R Block headquarters and a new entertainment-restaurant complex. Throughout the campaign, Barnes touted the arena as essential to boosting the tourist and convention trade and to bringing back Big 12 and NCAA events that Kansas City was losing to other cities.

Barnes said Kansas City voters understood the project would knit together a set of venues that would be “enormously significant to the future of our city.”

Mary Washington was typical of those who said they supported the arena because Kansas City needs to transform its downtown and lure people back.

“There's nothing there,” Washington said as she prepared to vote in a Northeast neighborhood. “Empty buildings, vacant lots.”

The hotel and rental-car fees are supposed to generate $123 million of the arena's cost. In addition to that public financing, the arena is counting on significant private investments.

They include $50 million from Los Angeles-based Anschutz Entertainment Group, naming rights of up to $2.5 million per year from Sprint, and $10 million from the National Association of Basketball Coaches.

Critics maintained that the arena involved too big a leap of faith. Its size and cost are predicated on attracting a major league hockey or basketball tenant, but no such tenant has been identified. Still, several sports executives promised to pursue opportunities for an NHL and an arena football franchise for the facility.

The next steps in the arena plan include purchase of the rest of the land where it will be built, selection of an architect and general contractor, issuance of construction bonds, and completion of a budget and final development agreement.

The opposition argued there were still too many unanswered questions surrounding the arena, and the deal with AEG was too risky.

Russ Purvis, spokesman for the Coalition Against Arena Taxes, said valid questions about the new facility got lost in the “smokescreen” that City Hall sent up by turning the campaign into a cross-state rivalry between Kansas City and St. Louis. He said skeptical Kansas Citians still wonder how much the public will end up subsidizing the new arena.

Powerful interests lined up on both sides of the arena campaign, and together they raised more than $1 million to convey their messages. Each campaign accused the other of deception and tried to discredit the other's campaign rhetoric.

The opposition, bankrolled largely by Enterprise Rent-A-Car, brought in several out-of-state experts in sports economics to argue the arena was a bad deal.

They pointed out that the proposed fee increases would make Kansas City's hotel and rental-car fees among the highest in the country.

They also said Kansas City's proposal requires 57 percent public financing, while arenas in Boston, Denver, Philadelphia and Chicago were built almost entirely with private money.

Supporters countered that AEG was assuming more of a risk than the city because it has agreed to cover construction cost overruns and operating deficits.

To reach Lynn Horsley, City Hall reporter, call (816) 234-4317 or send e-mail to lhorsley@kcstar.com.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The results

On increasing hotel and rental-car fees to help fund a downtown arena:

Yes: 66,821

No: 49,485

100% of precincts reporting

Post Thanks / Like
    Go Cardinals!!!!! Go Rams!!!!!!! Go Blues!!!!!!!!!!!
    Sorry - couldn't resit!!

My Ride
    Currently Boatless
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don't forget the Royals punk'd the Cards in the World Series
    OneBigAssMistakeAmerica

My Ride
    2016 Manitou Legacy LT SRS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm pumped...thank god the Miserians didn't screw that up...

Post Thanks / Like

re: New Arena for KC!!

Now maybe we can have a real boatshow like St. Louis

Sorry Ghostrider the Pattern is Full

My Ride
    2016 Manitou Legacy LT SRS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Oh, I almost forgot...

Hey Enterprise.......

How's it feel?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Wildcat [smilie=****sakes.gif] [smilie=mofugger.gif]

My Ride
    Boatless...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Nick
    Hey Wildcat [smilie=****sakes.gif] [smilie=mofugger.gif]
    Nick: forget this BS and stick a Chief helmit on my av.
    Ill owe you 2 boat rides. In a few years of this Ill just have to give you the boat.
    PIT

PS: The arena is already in trouble.The Minority Contracters have already contacted their Lawyers....
    MWBP: Insanity Required.

Post Thanks / Like
    Nick,

Just because your company leader is a short-sighted, temperamental, childish, asshole who just WASTED $1 million of Enterprise’s money and killed the KC market is no reason to be upset. Better put those new boat plans on hold, bonuses may be down this year.

I know, I'm an !!!

With the arena done, it's time for some and to argue about the Chiefs and Rams.

Olathe, Kansas / Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
    My Ride
    Boatless...for now :-)
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Butt Cheese
    Nick,

Just because your company leader is a short-sighted, temperamental, childish, asshole who just WASTED $1 million of Enterprise’s money and killed the KC market is no reason to be upset. Better put those new boat plans on hold, bonuses may be down this year.

I know, I'm an !!!

Argument, what argument? Just make sure they have that governors cup shinned up real nice when ship is back over to St. Louis
    "I love waking up drunk in the morning"

My Ride
    Boatless...
    Post Thanks / Like

Cup

Quote Originally Posted by bradman
    Quote Originally Posted by Butt Cheese
    Nick,

I know, I'm an !!!

Argument, what argument? Just make sure they have that governors cup shinned up real nice when ship is back over to St. Louis
    We have the Govenors cup so long that only Hank Stram knows where it is!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Pit hows this for the short term. It will take me a little while to put your head in a helmet.
    Attached Images Attached Images

My Ride
    Boatless...
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Ill use this.
    PIT

How do you cut a piece out of an image.
    I found a helmet But it is in a square box.
    PIT

Post Thanks / Like
    Send me the helmet.

My Ride
    .38 Special Ed
    Post Thanks / Like

here is another one, to much time on my hands at work today
    Attached Images Attached Images