Thread: Hybrid Stripers

My Ride
    32 Envison, V24 BatBoat
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,640 Times in 876 Posts
    Blog Entries

Hybrid Stripers

No, not "strippers", but "stripers" (the fish). Has anybody had any luck consistantly catching them at LOTO? Jr and I want to figure out how to catch them.

Thanks
    Don't know about LOTO but at Norfork and Bull Shals my friends troll with what they call an Umbrella, which consist of 4-5 lures and they troll along the rock banks 30-40 ft deep in the summer. They actually have better fishing experiences during February and early March.

My Ride
    Envision 2900 Concept
    Thanks
    I think they are called "Wipers", aren't they? Haven't ever fished for them, but my uncle caught an eight pounder in Kanapolis Lake. 26 1/8" 8lb 14oz. Caught on a chartreuse wiggle tail jig.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Troy & Chrissy

My Ride
    32 Envison, V24 BatBoat
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The wiper is a cross between the striper and the white bass and the record is twenty some pounds. The stripers and hybrids get quite a bit bigger.

Here is some interesting stuff that I found on the stripers:

Hatchery and Bonus Fish

Most of the Lake species are naturally abundant; however, the Lake's stock of walleye and paddlefish come from the Department of Conservation's Lost Valley Hatchery near Warsaw, on the east side of the Lake. Stoner explains, "When the Truman Dam was built in the late 1970s, it cut off the historical spawning areas for those fish, so we supply them from the hatchery." It's the largest warm-water, state-owned hatchery in Missouri and one of the 10 largest in the nation. Its fascinating Visitors Center features a 12,700-gallon aquarium, a viewing area into the hatchery production room and exhibits about Missouri marine life.

The MDC also releases two "bonus fish" into the Lake of the Ozarks: hybrid stripe bass every other year and pure striped bass every fifth year. "The pure striped bass is a saltwater fish that can survive in fresh water," Stoner says. "We started stocking them because they can get very big and they're super predators that can consume the bigger shad that grow in the Lake."

I am looking tocatch one of those "super predators"

My Ride
    Envision 2900 Concept
    Thanks
    VERY interesting..... I need to brush up on my fishing knowledge and skills! My Dad fishes the Pro-Am circuit, I'll ask him if he knows any tips.
    Troy & Chrissy

My Ride
    32 Envison, V24 BatBoat
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Soul Asset
    VERY interesting..... I need to brush up on my fishing knowledge and skills! My Dad fishes the Pro-Am circuit, I'll ask him if he knows any tips.
    Ask him if he knows of any guides on LOTO. I'd go to any other lake (I understand that Beaver in Ark has a good population) that I need to in order to catch them, but would like to learn at LOTO if possible.

Thanks
    Tango,

this web site looks interesting.

http://www.lakeozarkguideservice.com/

My Ride
    Envision 2900 Concept
    Thanks
    Dad said he hasn't fished for them & didn't know they were even in LOTO. Sorry.
    Troy & Chrissy

My Ride
    1992 24' baja outlaw whippled
    Thanks
    right below truman dam there are a ton of people catching stripers and the lure of choice is called a hog stick