Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    Cig TG
    Thanks

18K plate on a truck

So.... last summer when pulling the Cigarette home, I got pulled over by the HiPo and he was nice, but told me I should have an 18K lb plate on my truck and not a 12. (Missouri) Adding up the weight of the truck and boat and trailer - ok, it makes sense; I am way over 12k on combined weight... Nevermind that this plate is only a 1 year plate and a higher cost to renew
    So, I got a personalized 18K lb plate and just picked it up from my local license office. To my surprise, there is only 1 plate, so I have to wonder whether I should put it on the front or the back? The lady at the license office didnt know. I heard from a neighbor it should go on the front, but that seems like an open invitation to get pulled over when not towing the boat since a cop is usually behind you - in a position to view your plate and not in front of you....

Thoughts on this? Anyone else have an 18K plate? Was this really necesarry?
    Thanks
    “The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'.”

My Ride
    American Curls
    Thanks
    It goes on the front,

they assume you will be pulling a trailer and the back wont be seen, I run 24k plates.
    Whats next?

Thanks
    The plate goes on the front. Alot of 3/4 ton and up trucks run without a rear plate so shouldn't cause any looks. I think these plates are more for revenue than anything else.

My Ride
    Cig TG
    Thanks
    When you are not towing, do you get pulled over much because there isn't a plate visible in the rear? Also, I have a F-350.... I am starting to see some reading out there that the weight designation is truck and payload only - not towing weight. Now I am really confused. Wondering if I got the wrong plate.
    “The difference between 'involvement' and 'commitment' is like an eggs-and-ham breakfast: the chicken was 'involved' - the pig was 'committed'.”

My Ride
    47 fountain sc-379 peterbilt
    Thanks
    sounds like you cannt win

Indiana makes us plate our trailers. One for the truck one for the trailer

Thanks
    Here is a better one, as defined by Mo. truck plates are only needed on commercial vehicles.

Thanks
    I used to run an 18k plate on my 1/2 ton when I lived in Missouri, just so there was no plate on the back of the truck.

Mount it on the front, get a nice "suckin gas and haulin ass" plate for the rear end, and forget about it.
    The difference between an average person and a great person is not whether or not they fail, but how they react when they fail. In the worst of times, true men are born.

My Ride
    American Curls
    Thanks
    I have never been pulled over in MO just once in Texas, In Texas they required the one plate on the back, so to get out of the ticket we actually had to get out and swap the plate to the back while in TX......
    Whats next?

My Ride
    Cig TG
    Thanks
    Thanks for all the input guys, I appreciate it.

I just called a differ license office and talked to a guy that says that plate designation DOES include the weight of what you are towing, and it should be on the front. He said if you dont tow very much though, he would put it on the back so it is better seen by police. But when towing, it should be on the front, he said they are looking at that more closely now and it is a $1200.00 ticket for being over plate limit size. awesome.

My Ride
    1999 Baja 29 Outlaw
    Thanks
    Seems kinds f'ed up to me.
    Stirring the pot since 2005!

My Ride
    "Venomous" 36 Spectre
    Thanks
    Been running a 18K plate for years. was only pulled over once about 4 years ago for no rear plate, Since I always run a novelty plate on the rear and no issues. If your really worried you can order a 2nd plate but it cost a bit more. Personally just toss it on the front and get yourself a novelty plate for the rear.
    Summer time is Happy time

Thanks
    I use the 18K plate as well. I tossed it on the back when I got the truck back in '05 and found out later that it is supposed to be on the front. (originally from the Kansas side where you only have 1 on the back). I still haven't switched my plate to the front and haven't had any issues.

I was told by a cop at a gas station a few months ago that it should be on the front and that I should get it switched. His advice was to make sure to have something on the back to avoid confusion. He readily admitted that there are plenty of cops out there that wouldn't know the difference and having no rear plate is just asking for random stops by the local cops. My advice would be to get a nice shiny Cig plate for the back and toss the Mo plate on the front...... of course I still haven't followed my own advice, so take that for what it is worth.

My Ride
    33 Outlaw
    Thanks
    Pretty simple really. Goes on the front. Been in law enforcement 25 years I dont know any cop that would pull over a truck for no rear plate without checking up front for a 18,000+ plate first. Very common place in MO.

However, I can see where the Texas example above could happen as they do not know our laws.

Just like an officer in the middle of MO might stop a KS trailer for not having a plate. He would not know that smaller trailers in KS do not need plates because here in MO every trailer must have a plate. On the flip side if your an officer in the KC metro area living close to KS, it would be more common and you would most likely never get stopped for that.

On a side note, there is a work around if you have an SUV. I put car plates on my 3/4 ton Suburban rather than truck plates. (you can do either in MO on SUV's)

By having car plates, there are no weight limits. You can pull the Queen Mary if you so choose. LOL..
    Last edited by ckmansell; 02-18-2010 at 09:46 AM.

My Ride
    Cig TG
    Thanks
    Thansk again guys, great info! I will throw it on the front and looking on Cigarette's website, they have a pretty snazzy cigarette license plate and frame.... I will throw that on the back so there is something there.

Not to mention my personalized plate reads: 38 CIG

right on, thanks guys!

My Ride
    .38 Special Ed
    Thanks
    I have car plates on the X as well
    Best quote of the day so far...."I used to always make it rain at the strip clubs, but they kicked me out cause the dancers were slipping on the nickles." courtesy of DJ it made me laugh out loud