Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    My Ride
    283 Checkmate
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Gofastguy View Post
    You can have as many TV's in the house as you want with the proper dish setup, head end equipment and internal cabling infrastructure. You can watch what ever channel you want, especially if you have individual set top boxes at each TV. With the Dish "Hopper System" I beleive you can watch what ever you want at each TV without the need for individual set top boxes, but I think you are limited to 4 TV's.

Rain fade is common with any dish. You dont necessisarily loose signal totally, however it is possible, you get screen freezes and pixillation of the picture. It will come and go with the amount and intensity of the rain. You will see this sometimes on your CATV feed from your local cable company, as they get their signals off large dishes and rebroadcast them over their above or below ground cable or fibre network. The potential for total signal loss comes from snow or ice covered dishes or leaves laying on the dish, or other things blocking the line of site from the dish to the satellites, or the dish being knocked out of alignment.
    With our dish system in KS we never lost complete signal, rain or snow. Here in Tampa we lose it every time we get moderate rain. Has happened since install, have asked the company and others and there is now way around it due to the heavy cloud cover. We will probably go to some sort of cable.

My understanding with Dish's hopper system it is 4 tv's with each receiver. You can put the receivers anywhere in the house and run the cable to the main tv from the receiver then the additional tv's have a hopper on them that is about the size of a external hard drive. I don't think you are limited to how many receivers you can have.
    It's not getting what you want, It's wanting what you've got..

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 283Check For This Useful Post:

kini (04-05-2013)

My Ride
    1994 236 Baja 500HP
    Thanks
    You need a re-tune, or you may have too many trees.
    Quote Originally Posted by 283Check View Post
    With our dish system in KS we never lost complete signal, rain or snow. Here in Tampa we lose it every time we get moderate rain. Has happened since install, have asked the company and others and there is now way around it due to the heavy cloud cover. We will probably go to some sort of cable.

My understanding with Dish's hopper system it is 4 tv's with each receiver. You can put the receivers anywhere in the house and run the cable to the main tv from the receiver then the additional tv's have a hopper on them that is about the size of a external hard drive. I don't think you are limited to how many receivers you can have.

My Ride
    283 Checkmate
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffswav View Post
    You need a re-tune, or you may have too many trees.
    Can you pm info? No trees, 99 - 101 signal strength on all responders needed and great picture. But when we get the rains in from the gulf we lose it all. I have coworkers with the same issues..
    It's not getting what you want, It's wanting what you've got..

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    I think Century Link is coming to LOTO, we have it down here and like it, might want to just look into it.

Whatever you do, don't get Charter, they suck.
    We have Century Link and Direct TV here in Central Texas. I was going to call about a bundle plan. (As much as I hate being in a long contract with either)

My Ride
    17'searay,17' lund,900 kaw pwc
    Thanks
    I have been installing both dish network and direct tv for almost 8 years and get asked this question a lot.
    I like to fire back with which pickup truck is better, Ford or chevy?
    Both products are good IMO and you will find some people will passionately debate the merits of one over the other.
    I personally prefer dish over direct for many reasons including price, channel line-up, dvr functionally/technology , customer support and flexibility of install.
    The hopper has three tuners built in and will support 3 joey(s),however you can add up to two additional hoppers for a total of 9 tuners for 12 tv(s) (1 tv per hopper 9 joeys).
    The confusion about how many tv(s) you can hook up may stem from what dish (or direct) will give you for "free" at installation, usually 4 rooms (hopper 3 joey).
    The additional hopper will run you $100 up front and the third you would have to buy outright.
    Its tectonically feasible to have as many tv(s) as you want limited only by how fat your wallet is.

Direct is the choice for sports and the new genie system is pretty cool. it has 5 tuners and can support up to 8 tv(s)

Rain-fade... dish has the slight edge there because direct uses the ku band to down-link their signal, ever notice that the direct dish is larger then dish's? you know why? because it needs to be. It also must be aimed very precisely as apposed to dish's antenna which is far more forgiving.

Dish has two sets of three satellites one set southeast one southwest while direct has one set of five satellites, more or less due south (assuming you are in the center of the country)
    This allows dish to give you options if trees are blocking one direction or the other.

Picture quality dish has an ever so slight edge IMO but the average person would never notice the difference.
    It mostly comes down to compression technology and the amount used , cable uses a lot, because they have to shove all those channels down one cable while dish and direct switch between satellites and have more bandwidth to play with.

If your dish "moves" or was aimed through trees, then your installer was incompetent.
    Defiantly use a local retailer as they have a stake in your installation and will be personally responsible for its service.
    They can match all offers dish can and will be far more willing/able to do custom work.
    Speaking of which, if you want it mounted on a pole it is not always included in the "free" install (I charge $50 plus a buck a foot trenching after 10ft). BTW mine is on my roof, out of sight, stable, sealed and will never be crashed into by Jonny on the rider.
    I have installed over a thousand dishes on roofs without any problems with leaks or anything else including hail.

go to satelliteguys.us its an excellent source of info and they even have a dish vs direct forum.

Hope this helps

BTW I drive a F-150

Last edited by Drywally; 04-05-2013 at 03:29 AM. Reason: url was wrong

7. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Drywally For This Useful Post:

bajaholic (04-05-2013), hammer down (04-05-2013), Holy Smokes (04-05-2013), kini (04-05-2013), lake_carl (04-05-2013), mosi (04-05-2013), OLDDIRT (04-05-2013)

My Ride
    '05 Chaparral 220 SSI
    Thanks
    Damn Wally, you are sneeking up on 3 posts a year,lol Are you working saturday? We are going to the HUSKER spring game if you want to go, give me a call.

My Ride
    2007 Baja 26 Outlaw SST
    Thanks
    I'm guessing Direct doesn't have this show:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ray
    КРАСНАЯ РАКЕТА