Post Thanks / Like

My Ride
    1992 24' baja outlaw whippled
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the app up and running? were one week from Memorial Day

My Ride
    Formula 350ss, Cigarette 35 TS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Any drivers out there heard about the insurance or coast guard issues being resolved? Also the driver app is supposed to be out now, is it?

The whole thing seems to have gone pretty quiet the last couple of weeks if it's getting ready for a big kick off MDW.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Somewhat informative video. My favorite part was the "anchor driver" in the white cruiser under way with the bumpers out. Seems like a rookie move- what other things are these drivers going to forget/overlook/or not care about while transporting paying customers.

Wait till the first BUI for a anchor driver. That will be interesting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool's Gold View Post
    Any drivers out there heard about the insurance or coast guard issues being resolved? Also the driver app is supposed to be out now, is it?

The whole thing seems to have gone pretty quiet the last couple of weeks if it's getting ready for a big kick off MDW.
    In the video, he says they have an announcement on insurance........ very soon.......

My Ride
    Formula 350ss, Cigarette 35 TS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by kck3 View Post
    Somewhat informative video. My favorite part was the "anchor driver" in the white cruiser under way with the bumpers out. Seems like a rookie move- what other things are these drivers going to forget/overlook/or not care about while transporting paying customers.

Wait till the first BUI for a anchor driver. That will be interesting.
    I don't know, if I were hauling around 10 drunk non boaters, the last thing I would worry about is my undersized fenders being out.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    One thing on pricing from the video. In it Zach states that the more people you have the cheaper it will be. That's not entirely accurate based on his description upthread. It's cheaper per person, obviously, but the overall cost is the same whether you have 12 or 4. Or I'm just not understanding something.

It sounds like the anchor app will allow for easy "divvying up" of the charges among the riders. But for a family of 6 does that really matter? It's the same total cost...

It can't be that a driver makes less taking 12 people than he does 4....

My Ride
    2016 Manitou Legacy LT SRS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I think what he means is the more people there are in your party, the less it will cost per person.

I'm guessing they don't intend to charge an individual different amounts for the same trip as a group of 10.

Glenwood, IA/10mm Spring Cove/Poplar Bluff, MO
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've got an email into the St Louis Sector USCG. No word back yet. I referenced and attached Miami and San Diego Sectors bareboat charter guidance saying owners cannot be aboard on a bareboat charter. I was asking for clarification on why it was ok here but not Miami or San Diego and, if so, what is different with Anchor.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    "You can fall many times in life...But you're never a failure as long as you try to get up!" - Evel Knievel

Post Thanks / Like
    It appears that anchor is basing much of their model off of uber. I wonder if the new Missouri law for transportation network companies will require anchor to pay the state $5000 per year to operate

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think $5k a year to operate would be much of an obstacle....

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer864 View Post
    I've got an email into the St Louis Sector USCG. No word back yet. I referenced and attached Miami and San Diego Sectors bareboat charter guidance saying owners cannot be aboard on a bareboat charter. I was asking for clarification on why it was ok here but not Miami or San Diego and, if so, what is different with Anchor.

I was curious what that guidance said, so a little googling turned up the following:
    Miami
    San Diego

Is this the guidance you referenced p

3) The owner of the vessel may NOT be the vessel
    master or part of the crew. The vessel owner is
    not allowed on board during a charter.
    The San Diego one has the following statement in it which frightens the shit out of me...

Failure to comply with these requirements constitutes
    as an illegal operation and the owner/operator/agent
    are subject to civil penalties up to $35,000 per
    operation.
    Who's on the hook for the 35g's?

Glenwood, IA/10mm Spring Cove/Poplar Bluff, MO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bdlarkin View Post
    I was curious what that guidance said, so a little googling turned up the following:
    Miami
    San Diego

Is this the guidance you referenced p

The San Diego one has the following statement in it which frightens the shit out of me...

Who's on the hook for the 35g's?
    Yes, that's the guidance I referenced. My gut is telling me that the phone app breaks no laws and is if no concern with the CG but it's the drivers at risk of penalties.

"You can fall many times in life...But you're never a failure as long as you try to get up!" - Evel Knievel

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wow, as much as I would like to see Anchor work out (for many reasons), this seems like a pretty steep obstacle. I hope that they are successful in figuring it out.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Jammer864 View Post
    Yes, that's the guidance I referenced. My gut is telling me that the phone app breaks no laws and is if no concern with the CG but it's the drivers at risk of penalties.
    That's my concern too, although it does say "agent". Anchor sure sounds like an agent in this transaction. And 35G's would by at least some (a little) legal time to try and make the case they should pay instead of me. I can't imagine the USCG wouldn't at least indicate to AnchorRides that they are putting their drivers at risk for fines. If there is any correspondence to that fact it will be useful in the later depositions.

This article highlights that the only way to transport up to 12 passengers without being a Uninspected Passenger Vessel or Small Passenger Vessel (both requiring captains) is to charter the vessel without crew (i.e. bareboat). But that would mean that the charterer (and there can be only 1 charterer in a bareboat charter from what I read) is legally responsible for the vessel for the length of the charter, and therefore can assign their own crew. Maybe anchor rides is designating themselves as the "charterer", but since they aren't on board I don't think that fits.

It will be interesting to read whatever agreements exist between passenger and anchor and drivers and anchor.

What happens when an anchor passenger says he wants to provide his own crew and then is denied service? It sort of breaks down the legal definition that they are just providing bareboat charters.

Interesting side note, almost all the regulations seem to indicate self-propelled vessels. That means you could probably get away with a rowboat and rowing people wherever they want.

Wonder what it would cost to build and transport an ancient Galley to the lake. Could I get a rooster tail out of the back of one like some other boats on the lake if I had enough strong rowers?