Likes Likes:  0
Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Anchor Rides

My Ride
    2007 Chaparral 276 SSX
    Post Thanks / Like
    [QUOTE=
    Could I get a rooster tail out of the back of one with MillerTime with enough strong rowers?[/QUOTE]

You said the name that should never be said... you may be smited now..

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefoot View Post
    You said the name that should never be said... you may be smited now..
    Oops, I'll flagellate myself later. I edited the post in the meantime....

My Ride
    '91 Mastercraft 240SC
    Post Thanks / Like
    The real problem I see is the obtuse and antiquated regulations by USCG for Captain certifications that Anchor or any individual has to deal with.
    Make the requirements reasonable and there is less need to play legal games.

When was the last time Captain regs were seriously addressed? "Common" boats are larger and safer than craft of another generation.
    A person can carry up to 15 people in a van before additional Driver's license endorsements are required. Class E chauffeur's license has minimal additional requirements.

6 pack is fairly limited and the next endorsement is good to 100 tons!

The actual test questions of even the 6 Pack are so obscure they are stupid. Sample "boats under 40' must have 50' of line connected to their ring buoy while boats over need 75'" No Captain needs to know this on a daily basis! When a craft is outfitted or gear changed, it can easily be referenced.

Sadly, its probably easier to duke it out with lawyers on skirting existing regs than getting bureaucrats to make intelligent changes.
    Another stupid USCG thing, the Captain training services are allowed to write their own tests (so long as they fall within guidelines) so they specifically focus on those questions they know are on THEIR test. A general person can take the USCG test that again employs many trivia questions.
    I have a roll bar for a reason.......

Glenwood, IA/10mm Spring Cove/Poplar Bluff, MO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bsloop View Post
    The real problem I see is the obtuse and antiquated regulations by USCG for Captain certifications that Anchor or any individual has to deal with.

When was the last time Captain regs were seriously addressed? "Common" boats are larger and safer than craft of another generation.
    A person can carry up to 15 people in a van before additional Driver's license endorsements are required. Class E chauffeur's license has minimal additional requirements.

The actual test questions of even the 6 Pack are so obscure they are stupid. Sample "boats under 40' must have 50' of line connected to their ring buoy while boats over need 75'" No Captain needs to know this on a daily basis! When a craft is outfitted or gear changed, it can easily be referenced.

Sadly, its probably easier to duke it out with lawyers on skirting existing regs than getting bureaucrats to make intelligent changes.
    Another stupid USCG thing, the Captain training services are allowed to write their own tests (so long as they fall within guidelines) so they specifically focus on those questions they know are on THEIR test. A general person can take the USCG test that again employs many trivia questions.
    Welcome to the land of federal testing. Most questions are learn for the test and forget.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    "You can fall many times in life...But you're never a failure as long as you try to get up!" - Evel Knievel

My Ride
    Formula 350ss, Cigarette 35 TS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bsloop View Post

Sure the USCG is a little arcane like the FAA but the REAL problem is insurance and liability in my opinion.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I actually tried to sign up as a driver until they asked for my insurance info. I thought they provided the insurance

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qakman View Post
    I actually tried to sign up as a driver until they asked for my insurance info. I thought they provided the insurance
    I think that they do have insurance to use but only after yours is used up. I think that it would be a good question for your insurance guy.

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qakman View Post
    I think that they do have insurance to use but only after yours is used up. I think that it would be a good question for your insurance guy.

My Ride
    1992 24' baja outlaw whippled
    Post Thanks / Like
    I can't find the app in I tunes

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Tango View Post
    With out knowing anything about anchors insurance, the above would be a great buisness model. Average boat owner has 300k in liability most have an umbrella for a million, anchor doesn't pay anything out of their policy till 1.3 million has already been paid out!

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Tango View Post
    With out knowing anything about anchors insurance, the above would be a great buisness model. Average boat owner has 300k in liability most have an umbrella for a million, anchor doesn't pay anything out of their policy till 1.3 million has already been paid out!

My Ride
    03 38' PP & 00 380 Sundancer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baditude View Post
    95% of most boat policies are null and void if/when you use your vessel for commercial purposes. My understanding is that Anchors insurance covers you as soon as you accept the charter from the drivers app.
    Because there is "No Life Like It"

My Ride
    03 38' PP & 00 380 Sundancer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last edited by JMS; 05-24-2017 at 10:11 AM. Reason: double post
    Because there is "No Life Like It"