Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    My Ride
    Crownline 202 LPX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QWKRN U View Post
    Donít take offense but Iíd sell or trade the crown line and go with more HP on the toon. Youíll find it will totally replace the other boat These newer toons with bigger power are much more agile and peppy than their older siblings. The 25 with a 300 would be great on the weekends as itíll have enough power to stay up on top of the waves. Iíve had a playcraft with a 300 and a JC with a 250, good friend has a Manitou with a 200. After spending a lot of time in all three. Always go bigger. Resale value, only needing one Boat , will make up for the price difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    No offense taken at all - I'm hanging on to the Crownline for now though. It's pretty decent for slalom skiing and puts out a decent wake for wakeboarding, and is just a fun boat to drive. We have moved on to going with a 250 for power in the tritoon now and are starting to consider the 300. Each little bit doesn't cost that much more, but damn, it's starting to add up.

I really appreciate the discussion and advice from you guys

My Ride
    2016 Manitou Legacy LT SRS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
    No offense taken at all - I'm hanging on to the Crownline for now though. It's pretty decent for slalom skiing and puts out a decent wake for wakeboarding, and is just a fun boat to drive. We have moved on to going with a 250 for power in the tritoon now and are starting to consider the 300. Each little bit doesn't cost that much more, but damn, it's starting to add up.

I really appreciate the discussion and advice from you guys

You wont be sorry. Fuel burn (even during break in where I'm probably burning more fuel and oil) has been about equal with the 300 as it was with the 150's at "cruising speed" of 25 or so.

But, with the 300, I don't lose much efficiency and can cruise closer to 35-37...

25-30 was nearly WOT on the 150's. And you could watch the guage move.

Oh...and careful. You started where we started....and ended up spending double what we originally were looking at.

My Ride
    Crownline 202 LPX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn you Wildcat! What top speed do you get with your 300 - and do you have the 2-stroke? 48mph? I'm researching the difference between the Evinrude 300 2-stroke and Suzuki 300 4-stroke and as far as I can tell the Evinrude has a better hole shot and very reliable/easy maintenance, and the Suzuki is a little faster, less efficient, and a little less money. I like a cruising speed of around 35 too, especially when it's hot.

edit - I spoke with Sam at BT. For the Suzuki: the 250ss is their version of the HO motor and is very similar to the 300 digital Suzuki as far as performance within a MPH or maybe 2 and not really noticeable, but the nod goes toward the 300 with a fully loaded boat.

My Ride
    1995 Chris Craft 33 Crowne
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm hanging on to the Crownline for now though. It's pretty decent for slalom skiing and puts out a decent wake for wakeboarding, and is just a fun boat to drive.
    I hear you on the crownline. I have a little 1992 Crownline 192. I have had to put a transom, stringers and floor in it (horrible project). She's a little beat up all the way around and is only worth about 50 bucks, but runs great. I really like it for some reason and can't bring myself to trade it out for a toon which is what the rest of the family wants.

My Ride
    24 ft Four Winns
    Post Thanks / Like
    Damn you Wildcat! What top speed do you get with your 300 - and do you have the 2-stroke? 48mph? I'm researching the difference between the Evinrude 300 2-stroke and Suzuki 300 4-stroke and as far as I can tell the Evinrude has a better hole shot and very reliable/easy maintenance, and the Suzuki is a little faster, less efficient, and a little less money. I like a cruising speed of around 35 too, especially when it's hot.

edit - I spoke with Sam at BT. For the Suzuki: the 250ss is their version of the HO motor and is very similar to the 300 digital Suzuki as far as performance within a MPH or maybe 2 and not really noticeable, but the nod goes toward the 300 with a fully loaded boat.
    so now that you are seriously looking how much did you have to increase your budget for a new one? As much as I want a tri-toon - the 2+ years I have toyed with it have damn near out-priced what I want to spend

My Ride
    Crownline 202 LPX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE GHOST View Post
    so now that you are seriously looking how much did you have to increase your budget for a new one? As much as I want a tri-toon - the 2+ years I have toyed with it have damn near out-priced what I want to spend
    About 20k over a 10 year old with similar options but top tier line seats. The one I'm looking at is bottom tier seats with upgraded captain chairs. Warranty and piece of mind worth $20k? I'm having a tough time with that one kinda. Shiny new things are awesome though...

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like

I haven't pushed it real hard yet, but 50 seems to be about right.

Yes, we have the Evinrude ETEC G2 300HP. No scheduled maintenance for 5 years or ???? hours (it's a lot). Just put oil and gas in it. and hit a button to "winterize". I can send you a video of that 90 second process if you like.

It's slick, and we ended up with a 10 year motor warranty due to an incentive.

From what I understand, you can change props for more top end, but the one BT has on it is to balance handling and performance.

I LOVE the clean look of the Evinrude on install.

My Ride
    2012 Manitou SES SHP
    Post Thanks / Like
    We can hit the upper 40ís with our 25í Manitou SHP with Suzuki 250 for reference. I typically cruise at just over 30. Brand new in 2012 we paid a touch over 54k for package as another reference (their top line interior at that time). It amazes me at how the prices seemed to have increased so much with little to no changes in reality since then, without adding dual engines, HP or JOYSTICK control.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by maverick21 View Post
    We can hit the upper 40ís with our 25í Manitou SHP with Suzuki 250 for reference. I typically cruise at just over 30. Brand new in 2012 we paid a touch over 54k for package as another reference (their top line interior at that time). It amazes me at how the prices seemed to have increased so much with little to no changes in reality since then, without adding dual engines, HP or JOYSTICK control.
    That's eye opening! That gets you a nicely equipped Aurora these days...

And some of the dual engine 270 x-plode and Legacy models...I don't even want to ask what the price is...

My Ride
    2012 Manitou SES SHP
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep itís crazy to me the sudden increase in price, or should I say their margin (not just Manitou, but toon manufacturers in general, demand must be good). We were thinking about the 27 model at the time and it was only like 5-7k more. And if I remember correctly the 250 Suzuki was like 20-25k of it, which I think is still in ball park. Ours was a boat show special price. Just saw a 2016 just like ours with a Suzuki 225 listed at 68k, guess thatís good for resale??

Post Thanks / Like
    I have been pushing to ditch the old deck boat, that came with the house, for a quality pontoon. The wife just rolls her eyes.

I think the wife has a different image of pontoons. Maybe going back to some redneck rides on The Des Moines River.
    I need to get her on a newer Playcraft, or similar.

My Ride
    "Stress Eliminator" 36 Daytona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaNinja View Post
    I have been pushing to ditch the old deck boat, that came with the house, for a quality pontoon. The wife just rolls her eyes.

I think the wife has a different image of pontoons. Maybe going back to some redneck rides on The Des Moines River.
    I need to get her on a newer Playcraft, or similar.
    Go for a test ride on a newer tritoon. It will change her mind.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Summer time is Happy time

My Ride
    2017 Manitou XPlode 300etecX2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbgmac View Post
    I have had 3 Triton's. The last 2 Bennington. My last Bennington was an IO. I ordered a 2018 last Fall and is in the showroom at Kelly's Port on 54 now, until I take delivery in Spring. That way I got free storage over winter and warranty wont start until delivery. The newer ones have elliptical shaped tubes. I went with 2 - 350 Mercury engines [ white ] with joystick docking. Was tired of fighting the wind docking [ always seemed to come up when I was trying to dock ], so thought I would give this a try.
    You'll enjoy the joy stick docking, but it won't completely solve the wind issues for you. I boat on the Mississippi mostly and the joy stick was less than impressive to say the least with any current at all, mostly because doesn't respond as fast as it needs to in a current + wind situation. However, once I got the boat to a lake, with a marina I was IN LOVE with it! My words of advice to new joy stick users ALWAYS REMEMBER THAT YOUR MOTORS ARE WIDER THAN YOUR BOAT IN JOYSTICK MODE! Maybe not always depending on maneuvers but my G-2's stick out further than my toons on my Manitou and luckily for me, I bought a demo that the Evinrude guys learned their lessons on and was able to use the already scratched up side panels for a few months of a learning curve before they sent me new ones! Really though, it's so much fun pulling into a dock area and being able to spin around and side shift into a spot with ease. Enjoy your new boat!

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread is great, glad it got revived. While we talking about maneuverability, has anyone looked into the Volvo I/O's. I had pretty much ruled out I/O due to shortened season after winterization but while researching I saw a Kelly's Benny video of the Volvo Penta "Easy Drain". That seemed to allow ya to easily drain the raw water side of motor and greatly expand boating season similar to outboard. Unfortunately that led to adding items to my research list rather than narrowing it down. Spoke with Kelly's at the show and they mentioned a number of advantages of stern drive dual prop regarding responsiveness at docking speeds, fuel efficiency which I assume is simply due to more powerful engine cruising at lower rpm? I'm an engineer but not mechanical and new to boating on top of that, so have to admit difficult at times to translate between sales speak and raw numbers. Other sources seems to say opposite about outboards being more efficient and quicker to plane.

Anyway just curious if anyone else had looked at them, especially last few years since that's when easy drain appears to have come out. Hard to argue with their stern sight lines .

My Ride
    Waverunner / Work loaners
    Post Thanks / Like
    Found this. Going from memory,I thought the Platinum 23 with a 250 would break 50 mph. Know first hand the Infinity series are a smooth cruise... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6aSzIRqT6Os https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ne97te7d5KA