Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

TriToon Tube / Log / Pontoon size / Toon Size 23 25 27 In Market for Party Lounger

Does anyone have any thoughts on how to get the smoothest ride on a Tritoon at the lake?

How significant difference is the ride on a 23" tube vs 25" vs 27"

Does placing the center tube a couple of inches lower, like they do in a Crystal Cay, improve ride in rough water?

We are on the 45mm but rough water has kept us off the lake on busier weekends.

Thanks in advance for advice on what to buy

Post Thanks / Like
    The Manitou and a couple others now have a larger center tube and lifting strakes on all three tubes. I'd assume any pontoon with that setup would yield the smoothest ride.

LOTO 9MM Niangua, Marco Island Fl and Lawrence Kansas
    My Ride
    Formula, Cigarette, Cessna
    Post Thanks / Like
    They are all doing different stuff with their logs. Most have a larger center with everything from lifting strakes to Premire that actually facets their PTX (I think) with flats in the log itself. Hell I have even seen some with steps in them and not boarding steps. Drive them and compare for yourself.

There are at least 3 manufacturers for probably 5 different price points.

Basic rule in my opinion, get the largest diameter round logs and avoid the D shape logs (flat top with foam fill) UNLESS it is a Playcraft. Heavier gauge aluminum is always better too. That's my opinion.

Full disclosure, I have a Bennington and its been great. I also basically destroyed '99 a Suncruiser tri-toon with 150HP two stroke by running too fast on LOTO but they are built heavier now and that was before lifting strakes. Premiere handles great but I haven't driven one recently.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

My Ride
    2016 Manitou Legacy LT SRS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'm about to be in the market for a Tritoon, so I'm very interested in the nuances of each. Cypress Cay seem to be very, very nice and good bang for the buck.

My Ride
    T.B.D
    Post Thanks / Like
    I just bought a starcraft SLS 3 with "rough water package" from lake west marine, had it out today and had some good rough water in areas and i was Amazed at how nice the boat rode all day has lifting strakes thicker logs and center is offset, boat drives just like a ski boat its great.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Joshk003 View Post
    I just bought a starcraft SLS 3 with "rough water package" from lake west marine, had it out today and had some good rough water in areas and i was Amazed at how nice the boat rode all day has lifting strakes thicker logs and center is offset, boat drives just like a ski boat its great.
    We bought one too. Very happy so far

Post Thanks / Like
    Interested in this thread as well as I'm probably a year out, maybe two from getting a tritoon. Looking for something to seat 12-14 comfortably. One difference I've noticed in my reseaerch is the range of listed weight capacities. I'm a former college OL and many of my friends are former college OL. OK some of them are DL... What can I say, you beat up on a guy in practice every day for a few years, you start to feel bad and invite him to the lake :P....

Anyways, Manitou was looking pretty good to me until I noticed so many specced out for <2,000 lbs. My crew could get close to that fairly quick. In looking at those numbers a little closer, JC got my attention as similar lengths/styles clocked in closer to 3,000. Not sure how differently they ride, but it was a little surprising to see such a big difference.. Any other big guy toon suggestions?

Post Thanks / Like
    Get a 300HP on the back

My Ride
    25 TT Neptoon
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you look at any 'toon, there isn't a lot of freeboard up front. So, get the largest tubes you can and a unit with plenty of capacity. Especially since that capacity includes the motor and all gear, before people are on board. If large bodies are going to be on board, weight distribution is even more important for keeping the bow up.

If you go with round tubes, check how they are attached to the deck. Some cheapen out with spaced out M brackets (some even cover these with a "skirt" to hide the actual brackets). These can flex with the wave action here and over time cause cracks in the tubes from the side forces.

Although they seem to be a normal feature, ensure that whatever you buy has under deck skin. Exposed under deck members will catch the waves unless protected.
    What happens at the lake, stays at the lake. Unless I have a camera handy.

My Ride
    What ever they let me drive
    Post Thanks / Like
    Stop by and talk to Tim and Trista at Big Thunders Tritoon Town. They can go over all the differences. We carry Manitou, JC & South Bay. They are happy to take people out that are in the market. The in water boat show is another great place to come see boats in the water and ride them.
    www.BigThunderMarine.com

Post Thanks / Like
    The bigger the tube the more weight the boat can carry. It also help you ride up higher out of the water. But a bigger tube will displace more water and require more power to achieve the same speed.

There are 2 types of hulls. Planing and displacement. A typical V hull is a planing hull. That is the faster you go the boat raises up and rides on top of the water. A displacement hull plows through the water. A standard pontoon/tritoon is a displacement hull. It takes a lot of horsepower to achieve 30 mph with a displacement hull.

To solve the problem of the displacement hull lifting strakes have been added. They lift the boat up so it is more a planing hull. The benefit of the strakes start being effective around 150hp or more depending on the size of the boat.

To make a pontoon handle like a v hull builders have tweaked the center toon. Dropping it down, making it larger etc. will make a tritoon turn like a V hull.

For the OP wanting to carry a large load you will want to go with the largest tubes in the length of boat you are after. Strakes and a lowered or special center toon for speed on handling. I would say that you should max out the HP for the boat.

There are some good videos on youtube that show the handling and speed that can be achieved with a tritoon. I think Manitou and Premier are a couple to look at.

My Ride
    Crownline 202 LPX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I'm looking at a new Manitou 25' with a 200 Suzuki on it. Is there much of a benefit of a 200 over a 150?

My Ride
    2012 Manitou SES SHP
    Post Thanks / Like
    I donít know much about the 200, but our 250 has good power on our 25 Manitou. Any toon I see with the 150 is way underpowered and never seems to get the lift for smoother ride from the lifting strakes. Also being underpowered youíll probably use more fuel. Resell on the 150 models is way less as well, dime a dozen out there!

Post Thanks / Like
    I have had 3 Triton's. The last 2 Bennington. My last Bennington was an IO. I ordered a 2018 last Fall and is in the showroom at Kelly's Port on 54 now, until I take delivery in Spring. That way I got free storage over winter and warranty wont start until delivery. The newer ones have elliptical shaped tubes. I went with 2 - 350 Mercury engines [ white ] with joystick docking. Was tired of fighting the wind docking [ always seemed to come up when I was trying to dock ], so thought I would give this a try.

My Ride
    1995 Chris Craft 33 Crowne
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Doug C View Post
    Bringing this thread back from the dead...

I'm looking at a new Manitou 25' with a 200 Suzuki on it. Is there much of a benefit of a 200 over a 150?
    Get the larger motor, especially if you have any aspirations of water-sports.

I've driven 2, 24' tritoons, one with a 115 and one with a 150 There is a noticeable difference going to the 150 and IMO the 150 is still under powered when trying tow anything behind it. You won't regret the larger motor.