My Ride
    Hydrostream , Valero
    Post Thanks / Like
    yes, those are the bug bags
    last year I was filling more than one a day I had four of them in the yard
    little pests still mutilated my grape vines
    <> God is Great <> Beer is Good <> Boaters are Crazy <>

Post Thanks / Like
    Those traps are the last thing you want in your yard. It will get yours but will also draw them from 1/4 a mile away.

My Ride
    2018 Lip-Ship 39 GTS 3x400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, just hang one in the wodds across from your neighbors house....
    Tommy Gun

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OzarkRick View Post
    Those traps are the last thing you want in your yard. It will get yours but will also draw them from 1/4 a mile away.
    Yeah, I used those beetle traps last year. I caught a bunch of beetles.
    My neighbor, a veteran in the pest control business, said I was bringing a solution to a self-assigned problem.

"Ninja, you are catching buckets of beetles, but you are also drawing every beetle in the cove to your place with those traps. Get the traps but put them around 1/4 mile away. Let them be drawn to the rest of the cove."

Post Thanks / Like
    Last year Dr. Trinklein of MU Extension Department was on for his monthly hour on KRMS. He addressed the problem at length.

The good news is that most healthy trees, shrubs and plants will survive and come back next year.

This has been a horrible year of infestation and plant destruction. The good news is that most healthy trees, shrubs and plants will survive and come back next year. The beetles eat with their month. Because of their hard shells, contact insecticides will not work, they have to eat the poison. The best and safest is Sevin. This needs to be applied to foliage several time during the season. Of course rain washes it off.

He also outlined a second option that seems to me to better. He suggests using an insecticide based on imidachloprid. It comes in a liquid concentrate or granules. No spraying required, just mix and pour at base of plant or tree or spread granules and water in. This systemic insecticide is then absorbed through the roots to all parts of the plant, including new growth, and cannot be washed off by rain or water. For use on fruit, nut and ornamental trees and shrubs and lasts for the year. There is also a liquid version that you spray on the ground around the base of the plant or tree.

There are a number of brands: Bayer, Bonide, Fertilome, VPG, Green Light, to name a few. You can see many of these here. The key word is” Imidacloprid Systemic Insecticide”

He indicated that next year will probably be worse due to the high numbers this year. With each female beetle laying 40 to 60 eggs in your yard it is a good idea to apply grub control on your yard this fall to control grass root damage and lessen the number next growing season.

How To Recognize the Japanese Beetle’s Life Stages
    The adult Japanese beetle is a little less than 1/2 inch long and has a shiny, metallic-green body with bronze- colored outer wings. The beetle has six small tufts of white hair along the sides and back of its body under the edges of its wings. The males usually are slightly smaller than the females. You are most likely to see the adults in late spring or early summer.
    During the feeding period, females intermittently leave plants, burrow about 3 inches into the ground—usually into turf—and lay a few eggs. This cycle is repeated until the female lays 40 to 60 eggs.
    By midsummer, the eggs hatch, and the young grubs begin to feed. Each grub is about an inch long when fully grown and lies in a curled position. In late autumn, the grubs burrow 4 to 8 inches into the soil and remain inactive all winter. This insect spends about 10 months of the year in the ground in the larval stage.
    In early spring, the grubs return to the turf and continue to feed on roots until late spring, when they change into pupae. In about 2 weeks, the pupae become adult beetles and emerge from the ground. This life cycle takes a year.

My Ride
    Formula 280 SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Saw the little bastards on my plum yesterday. Hopefully I can get all my trees sprayed before they strip them again.

I hope there is a mass solution to the infestation coming, this is a pain in the ass.
    Troy & Chrissy

Post Thanks / Like
    Last year they totally ate a 65' elm tree and the mess was like having the yard full of hogs. So, following some experts advice I spread a product called Milky Spore last fall and again this spring on the turf areas around our place.
    So far, we have not seen any, but it is probably early. Have any of you had full swarms yet?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by us2onthewater View Post
    Last year they totally ate a 65' elm tree and the mess was like having the yard full of hogs. So, following some experts advice I spread a product called Milky Spore last fall and again this spring on the turf areas around our place.
    So far, we have not seen any, but it is probably early. Have any of you had full swarms yet?
    I, and the neighbors, treated the yards for grubs and other insects a month or so ago. So far we are good, but I may look into some of the treatment suggestions above.

Post Thanks / Like
    I can hear them chomping on my grape vine leaves all the while they are on top of each other.
    I have treated with multiple products.
    Craig and Gena

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaNinja View Post
    I, and the neighbors, treated the yards for grubs and other insects a month or so ago. So far we are good, but I may look into some of the treatment suggestions above.
    You have to treat the grubs in the fall.

Post Thanks / Like
    I thought you treated in the late spring early summer when the larva grubs are the most vulnerable. Aren't they dormant in the fall and winter. May be we should stick to boat discussions?
    Craig and Gena

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by twanger View Post
    I thought you treated in the late spring early summer when the larva grubs are the most vulnerable. Aren't they dormant in the fall and winter. May be we should stick to boat discussions?
    According to the MU Extension Department you do grub control in the fall. That is when All Green Lawn Care does it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know...No wonder I am infested with the little guys (and girls). My yard is like a huge beetle orgy.
    Craig and Gena

My Ride
    Hydrostream , Valero
    Post Thanks / Like
    I missed last fall so I treated heavily early this spring so far not bad
    put out several bags and sprayed to get the stragglers
    bags have been out for a week and have only collect about an inch worth
    our neighbors are treating heavily also
    <> God is Great <> Beer is Good <> Boaters are Crazy <>

My Ride
    340 Sea Ray
    Post Thanks / Like
    My neighbors across the street have the bags and they are full. I have only seen a couple at my house. i won't be putting one at my house.