Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Japanese Beetles

We were getting ready to leave yesterday. While my wife was pulling the hose top water some plants she tapped a rose bush, beetles everywhere. Of course we were going like I said. Hopefully we'll have rose bushes and who knows what else they decide to eat when we get back in a couple of week. Going to bring lot's of Sevin unless someone knows of something better. Pete

Post Thanks / Like

My Ride
    Chaparral 256ssi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Like a hail storm driving down the highway with those things hitting the windshield.

Eight is a step better than Seven. I have been using Bifen IT, once it is dry it supposedly bonds to the leaves and lasts for 6 months. Fairly safe for pets etc. also. Can even use it inside.

Works great for ants and spiders, too, and I haven't had any scorpions since I started using it around the perimeter of the house. Don't get it into the lake though, it's toxic to fish.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickb View Post
    Like a hail storm driving down the highway with those things hitting the windshield.

Eight is a step better than Seven. I have been using Bifen IT, once it is dry it supposedly bonds to the leaves and lasts for 6 months. Fairly safe for pets etc. also. Can even use it inside.

Works great for ants and spiders, too, and I haven't had any scorpions since I started using it around the perimeter of the house. Don't get it into the lake though, it's toxic to fish.
    Bad for bees as well. I use it also but only where those damn beetles like to eat.

Post Thanks / Like
    A year ago Dr. Trinklein of MU Extension Department was on for his monthly hour on KRMS. He addressed the problem at length. The beetles eat with their month. Because of their hard shells, contact insecticides will not work, they have to eat the poison. The best and safest is Sevin. This needs to be applied to foliage several time during the season. Of course rain washes it off.

He also outlined a second option that seems to me to better. He suggests using an insecticide based on imidachloprid. It comes in a liquid concentrate or granules. No spraying required, just mix and pour at base of plant or tree or spread granules and water in. This systemic insecticide is then absorbed through the roots to all parts of the plant, including new growth, and cannot be washed off by rain or water. This is also much safer for bees. For use on fruit, nut and ornamental trees and shrubs and lasts for the year.

They love things like Knockout Roses and maple trees with red leaves including the Japanese Maples. Each beetle lays over 100 eggs. Important to have your yard treated for grubs early spring. This spring our knockout roses looked great. Once the grubs turned to beetles they attacked in mass, no more blooms and eating the leaves. 10 days ago the yard guy sprayed them and we did the systemic insecticide granules, ¼ cup around the base of the plant. They are blooming great again. You can use any of the systemic insecticide granules, we used Bonide Systemic Granules Insect Control, there are many brands to choose from. Do this once a year and you shouldn’t have to spray.

My Ride
    Chaparral 256ssi
    Post Thanks / Like
    I bought several bottles of the systemic stuff a few years ago. Problem is for large trees you have to apply it around the base a month before the beetles appear, for it to have time to enter the trees system and make it to the leaves. For small bushes it is more like a week. Good luck knowing when and remembering to apply it. My bottles are still sitting on the shelf. When you see the beetles it's to late.

Post Thanks / Like
    I've found the best way to kill them is to head down the lake about 45 mph. Smoked @4 of them with my forehead.

My Ride
    29 outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have a Linden tree that was getting decimated... you could darn near hear them eating. I use Demand CS for the spiders and tried it against these beetles. From the top martini deck of the house, I can get to the top of the Linden with my cheap pump sprayer.

Within 15 minutes it was raining bugs. DemandCS has some residual micro encapsulated stuff and seems to really do the trick.

Kansas City is getting hammered by these bugs. We were notified the local orchard has lost their peaches and 50% of the apple yield is predicted.

My Ride
    cobalt 360
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had 2 trees almost gone in 2 days. I used cutter spray and hooked it to the hose and soaked the trees. These trees were almost 15ft so I used a ladder. Came back a few hours later and the y were all dead. Hopefully the trees survive as 70% of the leaves were brown with holes in them.
    Live, Love, & Laugh

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ya never know View Post
    I had 2 trees almost gone in 2 days. I used cutter spray and hooked it to the hose and soaked the trees. These trees were almost 15ft so I used a ladder. Came back a few hours later and the y were all dead. Hopefully the trees survive as 70% of the leaves were brown with holes in them.
    According to Dr. Trinklein most healthy trees will survive.

Post Thanks / Like
    The best way I've found to deal with them is to use the Japanese Beetle traps. They won't harm honey bees or any other beneficial bugs. The bag will be full of beetles within a couple days. I'd guess mine collect about 1/2 pound of beetles each day. Make sure to place it well away from your plants though as they don't catch every beetle that comes in. The first time I placed it right next to my raspberry bushes, big mistake. Within 1/2 hour it looked like a beetle sex/food orgy on the plants I was trying to save. I moved the trap to my lot line far from any of my plants and have seen a big drop in beetles feasting in my yard. Can't say the same for my neighbors shrubs though.

My Ride
    Formula330SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    buyfire is right, get the traps. My neighbor has 1 in back yard and 1 in front. The bag is full of them, it's amazing, never seen anything like it
    Formula 330SS. Traded the track for the water...there is no apex when turning on the water !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Are these the Spectracide traps? I see on Amazon prime they are $6 with free shipping. Says Traps over a 5,000 sq ft area
    Lasts the entire beetle season, Dual lure system, Contains 1 lure, 1 set of interlocking vanes, 2 bags and hang tie.
    Says dual lre but comes with one. Do you need to order the additional lure? Are the bags re-useable?

Post Thanks / Like
    This thread reminded me of my neighbor's beautiful Rose of Sharon the was decimated last year.

Just checked mine and the little things are all over it. Time for traps and to call my bug guy in the neighborhood.
    Link to the beetle traps would be appreciated, I am Googling it now but a local source would be handy.

These must be the ones.
    http://www.homedepot.com/p/Spectraci...01-1/100012648
    Last edited by DaNinja; 07-11-2017 at 05:36 PM. Reason: Found the link. Off to the Depot

Post Thanks / Like
    Do they harm oak trees?