Likes Likes:  0
    Post Thanks / Like

Ft Lauderdale to Key West trip....any suggestions?

We're gonna take a tues through sat to head to key west in early Feb and hoping we can get some suggestions on the best way to handle the trip. We'd really like to hear your suggestions on places to go, places to stay and where the best nightlife is along the way. We both enjoy music/entertainment and one of us enjoys dancing.

We're considering two options:

Plan A: Never took a trip before without having a set itinerary of places to stay but our first thought is to fly into Ft Lauderdale hop in a rental and start driving. Checking things out along the way and if we find a fun spot to hang out for the day, we'll see if we can locate a room in the area to stay at as we go. Then plan on spending a couple days in Key West or whatever works. No reservations or set plans, just figuring it out as we go. Might even end up in Miami or Ft Lauderdale if a couple days is enough for our Key West experience. Don't know that we could actually pull this off because we're not very big risk takers. But that's why we're checking...hoping maybe the answer will be "There's lots of places to stay and you won't have any trouble finding a room along the way or in Key West".

Plan B: would be to spend the day leisurely driving to Key West and have our reservations set up there then drive back to Ft Lauderdale for our late flight Sat night.

Anybody else ever headed to Key West without room reservations and an itinerary?

We would appreciate any help....Thanks!

My Ride
    302 Baja
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife and I have done that trip several times. Hotels can be hard to find in south Florida in February. I don't think I would roll the dice on that. FLL and EYW are two of our favorite places. If I were doing it....
    Tuesday:
    Arrive FLL, change into your warm weather clothes and head to Beach Place. There are a few bars there with a nice view of the beach. Walk along the beach, have a rum runner at the Elbo Room. There are a lot of restaurants along the beach as well. Head west on Las Olas for night life.
    Wednesday:
    Breakfast at Shooters, ride the water taxi, get off at the places that interest you. Sounds cheesy but it is a cheap way to see some very nice homes by water. Get on 95 and head to South Beach for dinner. Mangos for drinks and fun.
    Thursday:
    Head south to Key West. Stop at Gilberts for lunch and the Tiki Bar at Holiday Isle for drinks (may not exist anymore due to Irma). We have stayed in Largo, Islamorada and Marathon. I'd plan to stay in Key West.
    Between two evils, I always pick the one I've never tried before.

My Ride
    34 Superboat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last time to the keys we flew into Lee county airport (Fort Myers) took the fast ferry to Key West stayed a few days then rented a car and drove up to Pompano Beach for a couple then back Fort Myers .

Try to find that little Cuban restaurant on Key West , it's in a residential area on the east side........ they have great food and sangria
    It's always fun no matter how you get there

Sunset Palms, 35mm, Lake Of The Ozarks/Shipman, IL
    My Ride
    24' PANTERA, MUSCLE HAMSTER!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    I drove from Jefferson City to key west about 5 years ago. Took me 24.5 hours. Drove straight through.

I was only there long enough to eat a meal and drink about 6 beers before I passed out in my truck.

Woke up around 3am and drove my happy ass over to Panama City, some 12 hours away.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The secondary boat cover is to keep the primary boat cover clean."

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks to all for the information and suggestions.

Looks like we'll be making some reservations. Don't get out much so want to be sure the few trips we do take are enjoyable ones!

AV8 and 34SS....thanks for the suggestions! We'll probably spend a night in Ft. Lauderdale and then on to Key West the next day. ZachF100.....Wow....Now that's what I call a road trip!

Thanks again!

My Ride
    302 Baja
    Post Thanks / Like
    King High,
    We were in Key West for the boat races last week. It's up and running with very little evidence of the hurricane. Between Miami and Key West there is a lot of debris along the sides of the road but it didn't seem to slow anyone down. I'm sure it will be cleaned up by the time you head through there. Have fun!
    Between two evils, I always pick the one I've never tried before.

Post Thanks / Like
    AV8N has some great suggestions. Just to add to his, I don't think Holiday Inn now called Post Card Inn is open for a few months yet. Try Looe Key Tiki Bar at about mile marker 27 and or maybe on the way back go to No Name Pub in Big Pine. Because several hotels are still closed and some are housing clean up workers I think you should book ahead. In key west the reasonably priced rooms go first so if you wait you will probably find a room but it will be 400.00 plus for anything you would consider just ok. There is so much to do in Key West you need to give it at least 3 day minimum. Just think 350 liquor licenses and live music at 1/3 of them.
    What is the most dangerous thing to have on a Boat....... A SCHEDULE

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again to everyone for all the suggestions. We'll try to check them all out. Sounds like we'll plan on a leisurely ride down hwy 1 to Key west and pre-book our room in key west for a few days to be able to relax and check everything out.