Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    2007 Chaparral 276 SSX
    Post Thanks / Like

Dock Electrical Inspections have me SMH...

My dock is only 5 years old... had electrical all professionally installed and passed inspection shortly after the dock was installed. I added a seawater pump a few months ago (electrical professionally installed), and good citizen that I am, submitted for a re-inspection of my dock per Ameren's requirement. I've just been notified via email that my dock did not pass inspection... Ok, I get that dock electrical is a hot topic (no pun intended), and the consequences of an electrical short into the water could be catastrophic... but why do I have to go through having the contractor back out again, and go through inspection yet again, when the dock just to my south has romex hanging from its beams, no shore shutoff, and not a GFCI to be found... and he can operate as if he's in total compliance with nary a fine or citation for not even remotely being in compliance?...

I'm happy to comply... but why in the world do the old docks get a complete pass?

Glenwood, IA/10mm Spring Cove/Poplar Bluff, MO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefoot View Post
    My dock is only 5 years old... had electrical all professionally installed and passed inspection shortly after the dock was installed. I added a seawater pump a few months ago (electrical professionally installed), and good citizen that I am, submitted for a re-inspection of my dock per Ameren's requirement. I've just been notified via email that my dock did not pass inspection... Ok, I get that dock electrical is a hot topic (no pun intended), and the consequences of an electrical short into the water could be catastrophic... but why do I have to go through having the contractor back out again, and go through inspection yet again, when the dock just to my south has romex hanging from its beams, no shore shutoff, and not a GFCI to be found... and he can operate as if he's in total compliance with nary a fine or citation for not even remotely being in compliance?...

I'm happy to comply... but why in the world do the old docks get a complete pass?
    It is BS that obviously non-compliant docks stay hooked up. We have a few near us with hanging Romex and taped splices inches from the water. Let us know what was needed to repass your inspection. I'd like to know.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    "You can fall many times in life...But you're never a failure as long as you try to get up!" - Evel Knievel

My Ride
    1991 Fountain Fever
    Post Thanks / Like
    We bought a house 3 years ago down Lick Branch and I had the dock inspected by the Rocky Mount Fire Department, well it didn't pass..So I contacted a licensed electrical company to re-wire the entire dock as per their inspection recommendations. $2,000.00 + later I contacted the Fire Department and I am still waiting a Re-inspection, thats been two years ago...Docks all over the place without "Green" wires, With out Shut off boxes, wires hanging, No registration numbers etc. I did it so I could sleep better at night knowing I have done all I could to keep my family safe, but the Incompetence of Amren and Local Officials on this issue is mind blowing...

My Ride
    25 TT Neptoon
    Post Thanks / Like

As to your dock - Ameren changed the "standards", so even though is was good enough then, and most likely is safe, it isn't good enough now.

As to your neighbor, Ameren doesn't do the inspections as it is left to the various fire districts or cities to handle. IIRCC roughly 40% of the docks are either not in a fire district or are in a fire district that don't conduct dock inspections. Considering the number of folks that don't like a "big brother" interfering with their life, I don't see any annual or any other regularly scheduled dock inspections ever occurring.
    What happens at the lake, stays at the lake. Unless I have a camera handy.

Post Thanks / Like
    The more they make it a PIA, and the more expensive it gets to be in compliance....the more folks will skate the issue.
    You can't be fined if there's no power to the dock, so have a disconnect installed and only "plug it in" when you need it. Lights (if you need them) can be DC powered.

Post Thanks / Like
    We did exactly the same thing. Put a dock in in 2011 updated electric in 2011. In 2013 we added a Wayne irrigation pump that all you needed to do was plug into an outlet. No special wiring needed. I wanted to do everything above board so I Contacted Ameren prior to installation and paid the 50.00 fee and filled out the paperwork for the permit. I then contacted the Sunrise Beach Fire Department who inspected my dock in 2011, same inspector. I get a notice it failed. Mind you I did nothing electrically to the dock. Said my ladder wasn't grounded. I had it grounded to the metal pivot bracket that the metal bolt went through. Exactly like it was when it passed inspection in 2011. I added an additional ground from my dock frame directly to the ladder, it passed. Changed ladders this year and just have the one ground going directly to the ladder. They should have given you a reason it failed. May be a simple DIY project vs. hiring a contractor to come fix it. Good luck Pete

My Ride
    2007 Chaparral 276 SSX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let me be clear, I know code has changed slightly since 2012... I'll get it back up to code and be in compliance. I'd be sick if something happened that was preventable. My frustration, in this case with Mid-County fire, is that they fail my dock which is at least very close to compliant.... and are completely silent on the hundreds or thousands of docks that have never been inspected. I spent $800 installing a Dock Lifeguard because of concerns over my neighbors dock electrical... Apparently, so long as he doesn't ask for an inspection, he's good to go... that is what has me shaking my head.

My Ride
    IMP 310 Viper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Because you asked for inspection and neighbor has not. Things have changed in last 5 years especially if your in Osage Beach. I am guessing most your issues are ground related that you could fix yourself?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "NEW DOCKS IN THE WATER READY FOR DELIVERY @51 MM"

Owner: Roger Leas
    www.dbdocks.com
    573-280-1829
    573-347-2327

Post Thanks / Like
    Had my dock re-wired by catalyst electric 2 years ago. Top notch work. I then called the sunrise beach fire inspector to come out and inspect. He came out the next day, passed it without me even being there. He was a pleasure to talk to on the phone. Great guy.

My Ride
    "Stress Eliminator" 36 Daytona
    Post Thanks / Like
    My old dock failed because the outlets despite being in a weather proof housing were not actual labeled ďWRĒ weather resistant on the actual outlet and one Boat Lift didnít have the required green ground wire.

Each district is obviously different. Iíve had my new dock (year and a month old) inspected three times due to it being moved, from my old house to my new house (a whole different nightmare )then adding a swim dock extension, then adding a slip. Knowing what they are currently inspecting for definitely helps.
    I emailed the Osage fire district and asked for a current inspection list. Armed with that I tackled the wiring additions and didnít have any issues. With that said prior years were not as smooth as they were not clear what they were actually wanting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Summer time is Happy time

My Ride
    330SS Formula/252BR Formula
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree the dock electric is a serious situation. There are definitely some very dangerous docks out there. Some close close friends and lake neighbors put in a new $200000 + dock and it failed inspection. It was over the ladder not grounded. There son in law is a commercial electrician. He met with inspector and showed him when ground wire was connected it didnít have conductivity because of powder coating and he felt wire was a trip hazzard. He showed inspector that the ladder
    Was grounded to dock thru mounting bolts with his meter. Inspector told him they only do a visual and never check conductivity and was embarrassed passsd dock and left.

My Ride
    330SS Formula/252BR Formula
    Post Thanks / Like
    We also have 2 30ft lengths of bare #6 copper wire attached to dock frame and hanging down to bottom of lake. If for some reason dock frame becomes electrified there should be no doubt it blows gfi.

My Ride
    .38 Special
    Post Thanks / Like
    In the new America, it doesn't matter who are, it only matters what you identify as. Identify as your neighbor and call "your" dock in for inspection.
    Don Dusselier
    10 MM LOTO

My Ride
    2007 Chaparral 276 SSX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by dond View Post
    In the new America, it doesn't matter who are, it only matters what you identify as. Identify as your neighbor and call "your" dock in for inspection.
    Hah... would love to... with Mid-County you have to submit an application and a check for $50... kind of takes away the "incognito" aspect of the plan... he's going to try to sell this spring... hopefully the new neighbor wants a new dock.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hah... would love to... with Mid-County you have to submit an application and a check for $50... kind of takes away the "incognito" aspect of the plan... he's going to try to sell this spring... hopefully the new neighbor wants a new dock.
    I may be wrong but I believe when he sells either he of the new owner will need to bring to dock up to code.