Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    2006 Cobalt 343 & 1974 Cig 20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flatrate View Post
    We also have 2 30ft lengths of bare #6 copper wire attached to dock frame and hanging down to bottom of lake. If for some reason dock frame becomes electrified there should be no doubt it blows gfi.
    I'm interested in this concept. Not electrically well-versed at all, but seems like a fairly easy safe-guard against potential issues. Please explain.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flatrate View Post
    We also have 2 30ft lengths of bare #6 copper wire attached to dock frame and hanging down to bottom of lake. If for some reason dock frame becomes electrified there should be no doubt it blows gfi.
    Most of the electrical injuries happen when swimmer in water contacts well grounded dock. Gfci have not been in circuits of located electrical source

LOTO 9MM Niangua, Marco Island Fl and Lawrence Kansas
    My Ride
    Formula, Cigarette, Cessna
    Post Thanks / Like
    I requested an inspection last year with my modifications. A couple of little things were noted. Requested re-inspection and as of now over a year later and three follow up calls they are a no show.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

St. Charles Missouri LOTO Indian Creek - Gravois Arm
    My Ride
    Formula 353 FasTec
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can call Ameren on a dock you feel is unsafe. If they decide it is they will disconnect the power to the dock and the house till it is brought up to code.
    Women love men that love boats - We figure they are used to high maintenance
    They are also passionate about things they love!

My Ride
    .38 Special
    Post Thanks / Like
    This woundn't work for shore power.... but I am surprised there aren't low voltage docks. A solar panel on the roof could feed a battery.
    Don Dusselier
    10 MM LOTO

My Ride
    2009 Lip-Ship Gladiator
    Post Thanks / Like
    I still appreciate the fact that our local code requires power outlets on docks to be 48” above the dock pavers yet a premanufactured marine power pedestal’s outlets are only 30” or so above...
    Tommy Gun

Post Thanks / Like
    Hmmm. I mounted my wet steps on my dock to the wood deck with no contact to the steel frame. Also, against my better judgment, I also bonded the ladder to the frame. Pity anyone in energized water (from neighbors poorly wired dock) that touches my grounded aluminum steps.

My Ride
    36 Spectre Poker Run
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lawrence View Post
    Hmmm. I mounted my wet steps on my dock to the wood deck with no contact to the steel frame. Also, against my better judgment, I also bonded the ladder to the frame. Pity anyone in energized water (from neighbors poorly wired dock) that touches my grounded aluminum steps.
    This is a fuzzy subject. Been told some states will fail you for bonding ladders. People have been hurt from a shorted ground wire.
    Man and machine moving as a single moving part
    Tim

My Ride
    36 Spectre Poker Run
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by QWKRN U View Post
    My old dock failed because the outlets despite being in a weather proof housing were not actual labeled “WR” weather resistant on the actual outlet and one Boat Lift didn’t have the required green ground wire.

Each district is obviously different. I’ve had my new dock (year and a month old) inspected three times due to it being moved, from my old house to my new house (a whole different nightmare )then adding a swim dock extension, then adding a slip. Knowing what they are currently inspecting for definitely helps.
    I emailed the Osage fire district and asked for a current inspection list. Armed with that I tackled the wiring additions and didn’t have any issues. With that said prior years were not as smooth as they were not clear what they were actually wanting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Thanks for the picture! It will make a good check sheet. My area does not inspect.
    Man and machine moving as a single moving part
    Tim

My Ride
    Formula 336 SR1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Spot on. Been arguing this for years. Note, the guy at the 23MM that was electrocuted a couple of years ago was a result of hot line feeding through ground to the ladder. OB Fire Dept said dock was up to most recent code.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hot line to ground will trip the breaker or GFI first. Do you mean it was someone else’s dock that was faulty ?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qakman View Post
    Hot line to ground will trip the breaker or GFI first. Do you mean it was someone else’s dock that was faulty ?
    An energized wire to ground should trip the GFCI...if wired correctly. An energized wire, shorted to ground, will NOT necessarily trip a 15/20 amp circuit breaker. I've seen energized and shorted wires burn the earth dry around a ground rod and not trip the circuit breaker.

A 15 to 20 amp circuit breaker is designed to protect the circuit and utilities hooked to the circuit. A correctly wired GFCI will open the circuit in around 1/40th of a second...quick enough to save your life.

To ensure your GFCI is working properly, Trip them around once a month.

Post Thanks / Like
    An energized wire to ground should trip the GFCI...if wired correctly. An energized wire, shorted to ground, will NOT necessarily trip a 15/20 amp circuit breaker. I've seen energized and shorted wires burn the earth dry around a ground rod and not trip the circuit breaker.

A 15 to 20 amp circuit breaker is designed to protect the circuit and utilities hooked to the circuit. A correctly wired GFCI will open the circuit in around 1/40th of a second...quick enough to save your life.

I remember that from 1st year apprentice school. Question was “Where did the stray current come from?”

My Ride
    Formula 336 SR1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qakman View Post
    No, but you are partially right. Here is the investigators assessment at the time: http://www.lakenewsonline.com/articl...NEWS/150629360

So in summary, had the metal ladder been isolated from ground the young man would not have been electrocuted.....

My Ride
    Formula 336 SR1
    Post Thanks / Like

So I will ask, why would it not be safer to isolate a metal ladder from ground vs attaching to ground as is required by code?