Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Formula 350ss, Cigarette 35 TS
    Post Thanks / Like

Brunswick dumping Sea Ray

Brunswick announced they are selling Sea Ray but no info on a buyer (MarineMax maybe). Even went so far as to say Sea Ray and Meridian were being treated as discontinued lines as far as their balance sheet was concerned. Just a weird damn way to treat a solid brand name with a strong value.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

My Ride
    2002 baja 33 outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Next will be bayliner, then mercruiser....all that will be left is Mercury outboards( which is what is selling)

My Ride
    330SS Formula/252BR Formula
    Post Thanks / Like
    At least they are selling them. Remember they gave Baja away for free. There are plenty of mercruiser powerplants being sold I doubt itís on the chopping block. Sea rays are nice and roomey but lack performance. It take a shit ton of diesel power to move one. There are a lot of way better options out there is my guess on the sale.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's too long and boring to post here, but if you take a look at their third quarter financial report released last month, you'll see that sales in their "large fiberglass sterndrive / inboard boat category" haven't been that good over the last few quarters. (You'd think that with relatively low fuel prices and a strengthening economy, sales of those boats would have been doing well.) Their pontoon boat and engine businesses were doing well, though.

Brunswick Third Quarter Earnings Release

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Cobalt sells out and now SeaRay. As someone else mentioned, with fuel prices stabilized, stock market booming, you would think the boat industry would be thriving. Iíve read that Formula is not real healthy now either.

Post Thanks / Like
    It's the prices on these new boats that is killing sales...
    Most people can't spend 150 to 500 thousand on a new boat!

My Ride
    29 outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Why would anybody spend $150,000+ on a boat when you get get a smartphone for $15 a month with an A/R headset and look at pictures of lakes.

You guys are are so 2000.............

Post Thanks / Like
    So what does that say about the used market in 10 years.... it all flows downstream right?

Anybody have any stats on flip rates of a new boat? Guy buys a $300k new boat when does he sell it? 3 years? 5 years? 10 years? 20 years? It's got to be longer than cars, although there are lots of new features added lately to new boats.

And the hull differences obviously require a new boat. Can't retrofit a bot to be a center console..

I heard that sales at the boat show at the LOTO this fall were doing good but that may just be a rumor and is an isolated unique market anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    This is interesting, it does seems odd in today's economic environment, lending is available, hmm. I have thought for a long time that a boat that maybe not completely top end might have a place in the market. Do I really need a $7K stereo? Teak wood? Corinthian leather (OK, showing my age)? I remember when a pontoon was a low cost boating option. Not anymore.

My Ride
    1995 Chris Craft 33 Crowne
    Post Thanks / Like
    The cost of new boats is absolutely insane to me. I love looking at them, but very few can I find where all that money went, especially the high-end toons.

With regards to the used market, I feel like the original buyer is probably going to take a larger bath on depreciation with these more expensive boats. I was debating upgrading earlier this year to a slightly larger cruiser and I felt like I had a large selection of quality boats to choose from, people seemed willing to just "let them go".

My Ride
    1992 24' baja outlaw whippled
    Post Thanks / Like
    I heard big thunder was buying them

My Ride
    Crownline 202 LPX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Agreed with boats having just stupid pricing now. We didn't have $100k to plunk down on a 30' or bigger boat to bring down to LOTO so we would have had to finance most of it. Instead we bought a house there for about the same monthly cost of the boat I wanted (costs more over the years) without the crazy depreciation of an "average" boat. I just don't see the value in these boats - don't get me wrong because I get a chub when I see nice boats cruising down the lake. I check this site every day to drool over the awesome boats. Why the hell do they cost so much now?!

My Ride
    Sea-Ray 260
    Post Thanks / Like
    If a new boat Iím looking at has a MSRP of $300k, what are these boats actually selling for? $295k? 250k?

My Ride
    Formula 350ss, Cigarette 35 TS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Moorlander View Post
    If a new boat Iím looking at has a MSRP of $300k, what are these boats actually selling for? $295k? 250k?
    200 would be a starting point for me. The lower the MSRP for the dealer the less wiggle room there is but there is substantially more than say a car.

In the bad times (2010) a lot of 5,6and 700k boats went for damn near 50% of MSRP. Maybe they lost money but I doubt it.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.