Post Thanks / Like

Best Steak at the Lake?

I'm going to stir the pot here with our steak experiences at the lake this winter.
    Without going into my details about each right now I would like to hear what others are experiencing. Give the +/- of your experience.

We have ate at Bentley's, Jeffery's, and J Bruners recently. We will try Micheal's soon, but we have crossed it off the past couple years because it just to inconsistent and the last visit we froze our ass off trying to eat supper. We will give it another try soon. Blue Heron is not open yet so we haven't hit there either.

So, as of now, in my opinion and experience, J Bruners has the other two beat hands down.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bentley's is our favorite. Not only is the food excellent, the service is top notch. I will add though, we always request the same server (Meryl) and have been there enough times over the years, He has learned the specifics of the way we like our food prepared and makes sure it is done right. We also have been known to ask for things that are not on the menu directly and they have always accommodated those requests. Loyalty builds relationships. For us the old English atmosphere is also where we feel the most comfortable.

Jeffreys, have not been to yet,
    J Bruners, we are on the fence, not bad, just was pricey, and not a great value in our opinion.
    Michaels, When they are on their game it is excellent, when they are not, well..... Unfortunatly for us, last 2 times not great, 3 times before that excellent. Hopefully going back into the new season, they will be back on their game.
    Blue Heron, above our social standing...

Another add: Baxters, consistant... Always good, has more of a "city" atmosphere. Nice place for the view.

I realize everyone has the places they feel the most comfortable, for us it is about the service and getting an atmosphere where it feels special, friendly but yet professional. Value means, the food is rated on it's taste and cost but subject to the service. I don't mind paying $100 per couple for a "nice" dinner, but above that it need to be really special for us to feel it was worth it.

Another thing to take into consideration is the servers, is it the same people year after year or is it a revolving door? Common sense tells us, the longer the crew has been there, the more consistent the restaurant. In our case, the server we ask for at Bentley's, has been the same one for 15+ years...
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

Post Thanks / Like
    X’s 2 on Bentley’s. Much the same reasons as bajaholic. Top notch service. I have never been there when the owner hasn’t been there. He takes great pride in his restaurant and makes sure everyone leaves happy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Good feedback. I was wondering the same with guests coming to town.

My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, if you know me, you know I like to eat .... I personally like the Surf and Turf at JB Hooks, the filet is always good as is the 16oz Lobster Tail
    Life is gooder in retirement !!!! - Endless Summer Live Life !!!

My Ride
    36 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mrbgmac View Post
    X’s 2 on Bentley’s. Much the same reasons as bajaholic. Top notch service. I have never been there when the owner hasn’t been there. He takes great pride in his restaurant and makes sure everyone leaves happy.
    100% on point. The service and food at Bentley's is consistently excellent. It doesn't matter if we have a party of two or twenty, we get the same level of service. To ensure quality food and service, either the owner or management has to be there every day. He's there every day welcoming guests and checking to make sure everything is going well in the kitchen.

Also, our expectations of service at any given restaurant at the lake generally is ratcheted down quite a bit. We don't expect excellent service at most places due to revolving staff, large crowds, etc. I would put Bentley's against any restaurant we go to across the country. They set the bar in my opinion.

Post Thanks / Like
    We will check out Bentley's when I have guests here. Sounds like solid reviews.

http://www.bentleysrestaurantmo.com/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mpally View Post
    100% on point. The service and food at Bentley's is consistently excellent. It doesn't matter if we have a party of two or twenty, we get the same level of service. To ensure quality food and service, either the owner or management has to be there every day. He's there every day welcoming guests and checking to make sure everything is going well in the kitchen.

Also, our expectations of service at any given restaurant at the lake generally is ratcheted down quite a bit. We don't expect excellent service at most places due to revolving staff, large crowds, etc. I would put Bentley's against any restaurant we go to across the country. They set the bar in my opinion.
    Well, I knew from past comments that Bentley's has ranked high, just wondered if that was still accurate. Obviously, that was not my experience. While the service was good/great, the steak was poor. The medium rare rib-eye I ordered was grey, but with nice grill marks, but absolutely no juice and zero seasoning. Cooked to MR correctly but was barely warm overall. Not sure if they prepare their steaks Sous-Vide or a first try in doing so, if not, a very poor grilling as well. I'm confident that the quality grade was low-choice at best.

I do not know the owner and only eat there as Joe Public. I will try it again as any restaurant can have an off night.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by us2onthewater View Post
    Well, I knew from past comments that Bentley's has ranked high, just wondered if that was still accurate. Obviously, that was not my experience. While the service was good/great, the steak was poor. The medium rare rib-eye I ordered was grey, but with nice grill marks, but absolutely no juice and zero seasoning. Cooked to MR correctly but was barely warm overall. Not sure if they prepare their steaks Sous-Vide or a first try in doing so, if not, a very poor grilling as well. I'm confident that the quality grade was low-choice at best.

I do not know the owner and only eat there as Joe Public. I will try it again as any restaurant can have an off night.
    Sorry to hear your experience was less than expected. Did you say anything? The owner is Bill, he is 99% of the time the one that seats you. If you have an issue, make sure he is aware of it, they take great pride in the restaurant and want to make sure you have a great experience.

I almost exclusively order the "bone in" Prime Rib. Barb generally has a Salmon. I do know they are generally lighter on the heavy seasoning and have sauces that compliment the flavor along with the sides that are usually more on the seasoning. There hors d'oeuvre (Escargot) are also heavily seasoned w/Garlic etc... So maybe that is why when the meat comes out I have never noticed it being lighter seasoned? Or maybe yours was off?

If you like heavy flavor, I recommend the Pork Chop, I know they are generally a boring thing to order, but at Bentley's, it is heavily seasoned and grilled to perfection. Try it, you wont be disappointed.

Again, sorry for your experience, I recommend giving them a call and/or calling and talking to the owner and expressing your experience so he is aware there was an issue and can fix/make right your next experience.
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

My Ride
    36 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by us2onthewater View Post

95% of the time I get steak at Bentley's and I have never had one cooked Sous-Vide. Was your visit recent? If so, maybe they are experimenting. Nonetheless, if you go back and have a bad experience, definitely talk to Bill. While we have never had a complaint, I can't imagine that he wouldn't act to resolve the issue. I would recommend trying it again and let us know if the experience was bad. We probably eat at Bentley's more than any other restaurant at the lake, definitely more than any other restaurant that is not accessible by boat. After eating at the Trophy Room at Old Kinderhook, the only change I would make to Bentley's is trying to copy The Trophy Room's side salad. Bentley's has a very good side salad, but The Trophy Room's side salad is amazing.

Post Thanks / Like
    Bajaholic & Mpally,

I did not say anything, and I rarely make a comment unless I'm asked by the staff. The majority of the time they are only asking because that is what they are trained to do, however, they cannot be trained to care. I chose not to say anything because I really feel for the restaurant and I understand that most complain just to get the bill adjusted, that is not my intent and I would not accept that. Our visit was late January or early February. I do realize I could order something other than a steak, but a great steak is what I'm looking for. As I said earlier, we will defiantly try it again, we are not quitter's on good food.

Thanks for your feedback, that is why I did the post to compare.

Post Thanks / Like
    It had to be early February, they are closed in January, Re-open just before Valentines Day. I am wondering if you were there one of the first evenings they re-opened? Not an excuse, just trying to clarify.

Sometimes when we dine (This is a general statement, not about any specific restaurant) when we are in need of a "critique", after paying and on the way out, I will locate the manager or owner and let them know what our experience is. This takes the "just to get out of paying scenario" and I have found, they are generally very appreciative of the feedback. Of course this also works for compliments.

A few years ago we had an issue @ Bentleys, was actually a small thing: Checking on a specific item, the server was "too busy" and just blew it off, and it really irritated me at the time, I brought it to Bills attention on the way out as described. It turned into one of the most positive experiences I had in a long time. Most owners often take great pride in their establishments and cannot always know everything that is going on so feedback is how they can fix any issues they may have. I am much like you, I feel too many people complain to get something for free, but by taking that out of the equation, it can lead to a much better experience.
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

Post Thanks / Like
    Best steak at the lake is off my grill!

2nd best is Baxters...

3rd best. I'm still sampling...

Post Thanks / Like
    Bull Pen, we were given a membership by our realtor when we closed on our place. Haven't been able to give it up since. Everything is wonderful and if you want owner involvement, Nelda normally stops by the table at least twice.

My Ride
    Mariah 302Z
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seiowan View Post
    Best steak at the lake is off my grill!

2nd best is Baxters...

3rd best. I'm still sampling...

You beat me to that statement. One of the best things about lake weekends is having the time to prep and cook the right way!! Nothing better then seasoning proteins and having them ready to go after a sweet day on the water.

I do feel a need to support the local businesses at the lake and because of that, we will give Bentleys a try.