My Ride
    2016 Manitou Legacy LT SRS
    Post Thanks / Like

Anyone with experience using a trickle charger on dual batteries with "smart switch"?

Just wondering. I put a battery tender on our batteries this winter, left the Manitou "smart switch" in the "on" mode as I was concerned if I turned them off, it would cause all my programming done in the electronics last fall to be for naught. At some point, the breaker tripped for our slip. I turned it back on, didn't think a thing of it. Went to check on the Battery Tender last week and was giving an error code. Been working fine since Sunday, and I"m HOPING the batteries will be fully charged and ready to go soon.

Just wondered if anyone had experience with these types of things and had pointers or suggestions. I had several Manitou owners tell me they typically just turn the switch off and leave them sit when not in use for an extended period. I have always preferred to leave things on trickle chargers when I can.

My Ride
    old cars and trucks
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have been using Harbor Freight trickle chargers for several years.
    Leave them on all the time. But they are on ground fault extension cords and if there is a power interruption, it has to be reset.
    6 bucks each on sale.
    Batteries that set all winter seem to last longer.
    OF ALL THE THINGS I'VE LOST IN MY LIFE,

I MISS MY MIND THE MOST!!

Ponte Vedra Beach FL/Wildwood MO/ LOTO - 1MM Big Niangua
    My Ride
    Mariah Z272, Bennington 2575RL
    Post Thanks / Like
    You can turn the switch to just one battery and put a battery tender on both batteries. This way, you won't have to worry about programming, and you can safely charge your batteries. This is what I do.

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Checked on the charger tonight...still indicates they are both still charging...been same way since Sunday afternoon. It's supposed to flash green when they get to 80%, then go solid green at full charge....

I'm just hoping they are actually CHARGING. Plan to investigate further this weekend.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think you have more chance for harm leaving the batteries connected. To many chances for something to fail. Trickle chargers do fail and cause problems and fires.

There is the parasitic power use that will drain batteries. Run them dead 1 time and batteries are shot.. plus drained batteries can freeze.

A good fully charged battery will not freeze. It is not connected it will not discharge. Batteries self discharge less in the cold.

I think the best thing to do is to disconnect the cables and leave them alone.

My Ride
    36 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    We have an onboard charger on the 36, but have never used it in 8 years. We turn off the battery switches after every use and leave the batteries connected through the winter. We have replaced the batteries once in that 8 year period.

Now that I've said that, the batteries will be dead when we go to fire it up for the first time this year.

My Ride
    330SS Formula/252BR Formula
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have left them turned off and no charger and had no problems. I currently have chargers on everything. Still have batteries turned off. My 252 ,chevelle and waverunner I’m using noco genius chargers. They are “smart “ chargers and if the power goes off they go back to the setting they were on when power resumes. They also work on gel agm lithium ion etc. and there under $100 high quality charger. They also have small jump packs. We use them daily at work with good results

Sunset Palms, 35mm, Lake Of The Ozarks/Shipman, IL
    My Ride
    24' PANTERA, MUSCLE HAMSTER!!
    Post Thanks / Like
    My boat has only one Optima Blue Top. I shut the battery off after every use. And in the winter, I put it in the basement with the battery maintainer on it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "The secondary boat cover is to keep the primary boat cover clean."

My Ride
    Post Thanks / Like
    Update: Friday I switched the "smart switch" to off, and disconnected one of the connections from the Dual charger to one of the batteries. This got one battery to where the Tender is indicated 80% charge....so, Saturday morning, I hooked the other side up. The one is still showing 80% charge....and the 2nd one is still working to get there. I get the feeling I killed the batteries by leaving the switch on, and assuming the tender was functioning for about 2 months without checking. My real question is what would have been drawing power during that time.

Figure if one is at 80% that will get me started, and at SOME POINT THE DAMNED WEATHER WILL WARM UP AND I CAN JUST RUN IT TO RE-CHARGE!