Post Thanks / Like

Papa Chubby's, Charge for water??

Meet some friends at Papa's Saturday evening. Our meals were good as was the service. When I take on the responsibility of being the DD I do not drink alcoholic beverages. Forgot my glasses so when I got my 82.00 bill I just paid it. Sunday morning I looked over my bill and noticed a charge for water and an iced tea. Called my friend and his wife had the iced tea we were charged for, ok no problem. I ordered a water, which was delivered. Shortly after the waiter voluntarily brought a pitcher(we did not ask for it) and said it would save him some trips, I thought OK forward thinking. Is this the norm now that establishments are charging for water? If so I believe they need to advise patrons that is their policy. To me it's not the amount of the charge, it's the idea of it. I have never to my knowledge been charged for a glass of water which is all I asked for, besides my meal of course. I'll have to re-think my next trip to Papa's even though my wife loves their long island iced tea's.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hate that. Coconuts and tap and grill does that but they pass it off as a donation to Wounded Warriors I think.

I think the cause is because restaurants (everywhere) have raised their soft drink prices so high ($2.75-3?) to offset menu prices that people have started drinking water instead of soft drinks. I know I don't pay for soft drinks for my kids anymore because of those higher prices.

My Ride
    53 OL and 38 CC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Speaking from a Restaurant Owner,,,,,
    Some place that keep there prices low, do not have enough margin for providing you glass, water, ice , pitchers and ect for free,,,,,,

This is a simple change in culture:
    * For of casual dining, charging for Water
    * Many hotels are adding in a "Resort Fee" on your stay
    * Airlines charge you for baggage now and food

10 years ago, nobody thought there would be more people buying water by the bottle that soft drinks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga Stamepe View Post
    Some place that keep there prices low, do not have enough margin for providing you glass, water, ice , pitchers and ect for free,,,,,,

This is a simple change in culture:
    * For of casual dining, charging for Water
    * Many hotels are adding in a "Resort Fee" on your stay
    * Airlines charge you for baggage now and food

10 years ago, nobody thought there would be more people buying water by the bottle that soft drinks.
    Point well taken. As a business owner myself I can appreciate your position. I was surprised was the biggest thing. This is not a common practice that I am aware of at most eating establishments. I also believe there should be obvious attention, signs, being told by server, that a glass of tap water brought to your table will cost additional. It's my understanding that there is a cooler with water that I have the option of using vs. paying to have the water brought to my table. I was told that on this board. To be honest I would have chosen to have it delivered but at least I would have been forewarned. I have a business and charge a fee for use of DC/CC cards but I have that plastered all over informing of the fee. Just my feelings and opinion on the matter. Pete

My Ride
    Crownline 285ss
    Post Thanks / Like
    I absolutely second the opinion that (unless you are requesting bottled) I would not expect water to be a charge. However, if there is a charge it should be addressed to the customer, as this is not a norm most people are accustomed to.
    Deadrise & Derailleurs
    2014 Crownline 285ss
    The Best Medicine

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Saratoga Stamepe View Post
    Except we're not talking about bottled water. And that stat is for packaged sales, and the price of water is 1/4 the price of soft drinks.

If people aren't ordering enough drinks, then that's a signal that your drink prices are too high (or prepared improperly). If people aren't going to your restaurant, then that's a sign that something is wrong with the product (food, price, delivery, facility).

I know as restaurant owner you probably look at every glass of water served instead of another drink as a loss of a $7 drink or a $3 soda, but in reality its a price signal that a $3 soda is too expensive.

Might as well charge a cover to get into the restaurant (or a 2 drink minimum like a comedy club).

And if you are charging for something the price should be listed on the menu.

Post Thanks / Like
    I think more and more folks are moving away from soda. It is getting expensive and well, according to my doctor is not good for you. She doesn't know I have far worse vices than soda!!! Tea is an alternative. I have found that most tea at a restaurant is cloudy or bitter and the cost is the same as soda. So that leaves alcohol and water. You can double your bill here really quick with just a few adult beverages. It hard to add that kind of cost to your bill when you know that just a few feet away on your boat these beverages are much cheaper. By default water is the best choice. I would not blame a restaurant for charging for it. As long as it is within reason.

My Ride
    2016 Manitou Legacy LT SRS
    Post Thanks / Like
    After my daughter's 8 dollar virgin strawberry daquiri at CR's last year, this doesn't surprise me in the slightest.

There's a reason we tend to stick to places that are open all year.

Post Thanks / Like
    $8? Could you ask for a real daquiri with the shot of rum on the side....