Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Water charge at restaurants??

Meet some friends at Papa Chubby's Saturday evening. Our meals were good as was the service. When I take on the responsibility of being the DD I do not drink alcoholic beverages. Forgot my glasses so when I got my 82.00 bill I just paid it. Sunday morning I looked over my bill and noticed a charge for water and an iced tea. Called my friend and his wife had the iced tea we were charged for, ok no problem. I ordered a water, which was delivered. Shortly after the waiter voluntarily brought a pitcher(we did not ask for it) and said it would save him some trips, I thought OK forward thinking. Is this the norm now that establishments are charging for water? If so I believe they need to advise patrons that is their policy. To me it's not the amount of the charge, it's the idea of it. I have never to my knowledge been charged for a glass of water which is all I asked for, besides my meal of course. I'll have to re-think my next trip to Papa's even though my wife loves their long island iced tea's.

My Ride
    24 ft Four Winns
    Post Thanks / Like
    We ate at Papa Chubbys and you get your own water from a Igloo type water cooler. I think its cheesy just because I choose to drink water vs soda/beer etc with my dinner. I also think its ridiculous to charge for water unless you request bottled water.

My Ride
    2016 Manitou Legacy LT SRS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Petemag View Post
    Meet some friends at Papa's Saturday evening. Our meals were good as was the service. When I take on the responsibility of being the DD I do not drink alcoholic beverages. Forgot my glasses so when I got my 82.00 bill I just paid it. Sunday morning I looked over my bill and noticed a charge for water and an iced tea. Called my friend and his wife had the iced tea we were charged for, ok no problem. I ordered a water, which was delivered. Shortly after the waiter voluntarily brought a pitcher(we did not ask for it) and said it would save him some trips, I thought OK forward thinking. Is this the norm now that establishments are charging for water? If so I believe they need to advise patrons that is their policy. To me it's not the amount of the charge, it's the idea of it. I have never to my knowledge been charged for a glass of water which is all I asked for, besides my meal of course. I'll have to re-think my next trip to Papa's even though my wife loves their long island iced tea's.
    You talkin Papa Chubby's? Pappo's?

That seems odd.

Must have been a bad weekend. We went to On The Rise. Worst experience for the most overpriced food at the lake we've ever had. I had always justified it in the past as the wife loves it, but no more.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE GHOST View Post
    We ate at Papa Chubbys and you get your own water from a Igloo type water cooler. I think its cheesy just because I choose to drink water vs soda/beer etc with my dinner. I also think its ridiculous to charge for water unless you request bottled water.
    Didn't realize you get your own water. Had I'd known that I would have. Not being cheap just don't believe a restaurant should charge for water. Next is pay toilets. Hey your using water, :-)

My Ride
    Formula, Cigarette, Cessna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Wildcat View Post
    You talkin Papa Chubby's? Pappo's?

That seems odd.

Must have been a bad weekend. We went to On The Rise. Worst experience for the most overpriced food at the lake we've ever had. I had always justified it in the past as the wife loves it, but no more.
    With you 100% about On the Rise, If you enjoy arrogant management, high prices and crappy service, this is the place for you. If you want a great breakfast with nice people for half the price, head down the road to KK and go to Pancake House.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

My Ride
    24 ft Four Winns
    Post Thanks / Like
    Meet some friends at Papa Chubby's Saturday evening. Our meals were good as was the service. When I take on the responsibility of being the DD I do not drink alcoholic beverages. Forgot my glasses so when I got my 82.00 bill I just paid it. Sunday morning I looked over my bill and noticed a charge for water and an iced tea. Called my friend and his wife had the iced tea we were charged for, ok no problem. I ordered a water, which was delivered. Shortly after the waiter voluntarily brought a pitcher(we did not ask for it) and said it would save him some trips, I thought OK forward thinking. Is this the norm now that establishments are charging for water? If so I believe they need to advise patrons that is their policy. To me it's not the amount of the charge, it's the idea of it. I have never to my knowledge been charged for a glass of water which is all I asked for, besides my meal of course. I'll have to re-think my next trip to Papa's even though my wife loves their long island iced tea's.
    Now that you clarified it was Papa Chubby's - I don't think we were charged for water??? - I just know she told us where to get it. Let me guess you had the italian looking guy full of tattoos and full of himself?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool's Gold View Post
    With you 100% about On the Rise, If you enjoy arrogant management, high prices and crappy service, this is the place for you. If you want a great breakfast with nice people for half the price, head down the road to KK and go to Pancake House.
    X2

Post Thanks / Like
    Randy was our servers name. New to the area he told us and very excited about his job. I was not told of the option to get water. Basically all I drink is water. Only pop/soda I drink is in an occasional cocktail and since I was driving none of those for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    When out a lake bars by boat I don’t drink and have had more then one place not charge since I was the sober driver

My Ride
    36 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    I'll pay for bottled water (assuming it's truly bottled water) rather than drinking water straight from the tap at the lake. If it's straight from the tap, then charging is ridiculous.

Post Thanks / Like
    Unless they hit you for like 4.00 then I don't understand the concern. You're holding down a seat where someone wanting to buy a margarita could be sitting.

Just ribbin' ya
    Seriously though, how much was this glass of water?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by wrench View Post
    Unless they hit you for like 4.00 then I don't understand the concern. You're holding down a seat where someone wanting to buy a margarita could be sitting.

Just ribbin' ya
    Seriously though, how much was this glass of water?
    Wrench it's not the amount, it's the idea. I spent 81.00 on food and beverages and then they charge an additional 1.00 for water. I could care less about the 1.00. I was surprised to see a separate charge for water. A first for me.

Post Thanks / Like
    Wrench it's not the amount, it's the idea. I spent 81.00 on food and beverages and then they charge an additional 1.00 for water. I could care less about the 1.00. I was surprised to see a separate charge for water. A first for me.

Awhile back there was a whole thread on this.I think the place the thread was talking about was coconuts that was charging for water and causing an uproar.

Post Thanks / Like
    I know that some places (Coconut's included) donate the proceeds from the sale of drinking water to various charities. Coconut's water fund goes to the animal rescue foundation....or some such thing.

So they aren't being greedy or anything, they are trying to do something charitable. You're not buying the owners wife a boob job, you're helping a hungry homeless puppy dog.
    If you think I'm lying then just short the waitress a dollar on her tip and call it a push.

Post Thanks / Like
    For some reason i think Coconuts water was more than $1. Something like $2 or 3.