Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Water Patrol Run

Anyone know what happened around 5:30pm yesterday as Aquapalooza was breaking up? Two water patrol boats blasted out of the no wake through all of the aquapalooza boats and headed upstream.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JLMSooner View Post
    Anyone know what happened around 5:30pm yesterday as Aquapalooza was breaking up? Two water patrol boats blasted out of the no wake through all of the aquapalooza boats and headed upstream.
    Those two went flying by the 20.5 and about 2 minuets later a third. Sirens and lights full blast.

My Ride
    29 outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fresh donuts @ Millers?

Post Thanks / Like
    I saw one flying down lake at a higher than normal rate of speed around 4:45 Saturday. Facebook then reported a water patrol stop at the 10mm. Every boat going through the main channel at the 10MM was stopped. Not sure how long it lasted.

Saw one that had pulledover a cruiser at the toll bridge at around 10pm when i went by.

My Ride
    Checkmate 283 Convincor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Shaking down the lake!

Post Thanks / Like
    Don't know about the call at 5:30 but at 7:00pm about six of them had a
    checkpoint set up at 9 MM on main channel. We came out of the Gravois
    heading upstream and got snared, luckily we had a driver that was not drinking.

They were stopping all boats and giving sobriety checks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like they made 8 BWI arrests (9 other citations) after contacting 228 boats.

http://krcgtv.com/news/local/8-bwi-arrests-made-at-lake-of-the-ozarks-checkpoint

Didn't they contact more boats in previous years?

I'm curious, never having done it, what the procedure is for a on-water sobriety checkpoint. The ol' walk the line test, doesn't make much sense on a boat. Does the operator have to leave the vessel? I figure the usual safety check and registration documentation would also happen. But was curious about the nuts and bolts of the actual sobriety check.

Someone on facebook mentioned they do the track a finger with your eye test.

For anybody that has done it, how long does a check last for most boats?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bdlarkin View Post
    Looks like they made 8 BWI arrests (9 other citations) after contacting 228 boats.

http://krcgtv.com/news/local/8-bwi-arrests-made-at-lake-of-the-ozarks-checkpoint

I'm curious, never having done it, what the procedure is for a on-water sobriety checkpoint. The ol' walk the line test, doesn't make much sense on a boat. Does the operator have to leave the vessel? I figure the usual safety check and registration documentation would also happen. But was curious about the nuts and bolts of the actual sobriety check.

Long enough to piss you off, unless you're one of those lonely people with no social life that think it's enjoyable to visit with someone who really doesn't like you.

You gotta pretend to be one of those people or else the unpleasantness escalates.

My Ride
    2001 Maxum 2700
    Post Thanks / Like
    They stopped me at the 3.5 of the Gravois.

they checked ID, Registration, and life jackets

then did the whole track my finger with out moving your head deal.

10 min stop overall.

Best part was the 15 attempts it took the 19 year old patrol man to finally get next to my boat

My Ride
    29 outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nice they sent the troops that way; while up our way, I saw so much stupid shit and all I could think was, "where TF are the WP?"

But then I took the wheel from my wife and all was well again around the 45mm.

My Ride
    Formula, Cigarette, Cessna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bdlarkin View Post

So with 17 total citations that equates to a 7.5% success rate (unless some of those were multiple infractions which they probably were), some may also look at it as a 92.5% harassment rate. How much did this checkpoint cost?
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JLMSooner View Post

Probably related about the same time 2 water patrol came in Papa Chubby’s cove where we were sitting out. A sunsation came in before they arrived, I think a passenger on the sunsation was having a medical emergency. They docked at a private residence and an ambulance and fire truck came. They came down to the dock to the boat with a gurney. Hope they were ok.

My Ride
    01 - 42' - Fountain - 575's
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Fool's Gold View Post
    So with 17 total citations that equates to a 7.5% success rate (unless some of those were multiple infractions which they probably were), some may also look at it as a 92.5% harassment rate. How much did this checkpoint cost?
    Tell me if you are worried costs when you lose someone due to fault of someone in that 7.5% success rate...

My Ride
    Formula, Cigarette, Cessna
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
    Tell me if you are worried costs when you lose someone due to fault of someone in that 7.5% success rate...
    Red herring argument. Doesnít change the fact that checkpoints that stop people for no probable cause are an unconstitutional search no matter how well intended. But thatís just my opinion and I hold it absent any desire to drive drunk.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    I appreciate them taking advantage of a big event like Aquapalooza to do this. That should really help the event grow. I wonder if there's something in fine print on the regatta permit that says we can and will use your event to our advantage. Yeah I know, just don't drink and drive and the harassment wont be an issue.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk