Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Living at LOTO questions, your help please

What's it like to live at the lake all year? My wife and I are starting to think about finding a new place to live and hopefully retire someday. We absolutely love boating near our home in northern CA with the several hundred miles on the Delta & SF Bay but its beyond expensive and not somewhere we want to retire. I grew up boating the rivers & lakes of western PA. We both love the hospitality of the midwest. 2016 we trailered our boat to Kentucky and ran the entire 1000 miles on the Ohio river to Pittsburgh. We enjoy laying down several hundred miles on the water every weekend. Any & all input is greatly appreciated, thank you.

My Ride
    Challenger SV24 "RUSH HOUR"
    Post Thanks / Like
    I never thought i'd say this, but you might get bored pretty quick at loto if you're planning on boating a few hundred miles every weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    40-60 miles each way works too. We just love the adventures of finding new spots and running our boat. We want to do the entire Mississippi river someday also. Thanks for any help.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe I've heard about several other lakes & rivers within a few hours of LOTO that we would love to check out also.

My Ride
    Apache Brave
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by lake p.a.l. View Post
    I believe I've heard about several other lakes & rivers within a few hours of LOTO that we would love to check out also.
    Lakes near LOTO size within 2 to 4 hours Table Rock and Grand Lake. I am sure I am missing one or two. Truman is close but lots of trees. We moved to the lake fulltime several years ago and love it. We would never move to a major city again. What size boat do you have? The size will limit you on LOTO. We love our view.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Living at the Lake year-round is paradise, as long as it fits what you’re looking for, or what you’re willing to tolerate. The people are indeed friendly, and crime is nothing like it is in the big cities. (This is the safest place I’ve ever lived.) The cost of living is relatively low. Perhaps the most common complaint among full-timers is the difficulty in finding reliable contractors and workers. They’re here, but you have to ask around to find them.

The winters, from November 1 to March 15th, are extremely quiet. There aren’t a whole lot of fun things to do, or much of anything going on. It’s best to have some indoor hobbies or things to keep you busy, or you’re likely to get bored. If you like to fish or hike, there are usually enough days in the winter when the weather is mild enough to get outside. Springfield, Jefferson City and Columbia are easy drives away, and offer many more things to do.

On March 15th, the fishermen come out in droves. The powerboaters start coming out in April, and by Memorial Day all hell breaks loose. The holiday weekends, and the summer weekends, are very busy, and the lake gets rough. The lake is mostly smooth during the week, even in the summer. Many full-timers just boat during the week, and avoid the craziness on the weekends. If you can get by with that, you’ll love the lake even more. I pity the poor folks who come here just on the weekends in the summer and get beat up riding around in the rough water.

Weather-wise, April, May, September and October are beautiful. June, July and August are hot and humid. November-February weather ranges from cool to chilly to cold to very cold. We haven’t had much snow in the last five winters or so.

You’ll love living at the lake much more if you live right along the waterfront. I can’t imagine not living in a lakefront home or condo. There’s always something interesting to see along the water—sunsets, birds, boats, fall foliage, etc. You need to choose very carefully, though, because there’s a huge difference between living on the main channel or in a cove (especially if you own a boat dock), or between something in the busy parts of the lake versus the quiet parts.

The Lake is a wonderful place to live. It’s not perfect. I’d love to have perfect weather year-round, but then we’d have 5 million people living here, and I’d hate that. We get hot and cold weather, but at least we don’t get hurricanes or wildfires. I also like the fact that, unlike the ocean, there’s nothing in our water that’s going to eat you. Plus, the water is relatively clean.

Post Thanks / Like
    Another full timer checking in, I will go with the business side. there are opportunities galore at the lake, especially if you are in the trades. That being said, the opportunity is only good if you are willing to work and not expect to get paid what you did/do in California.

If you are a visionary, we are a area that is developing towards full time people from the once sleepy vacation atmosphere. This again leads to a tremendous amount of opportunity.

Now for the real bonus of MO. Taxes: Realestate taxes are cheep! There is also personal property taxes but looking at the whole picture and looking at options of where you have things registered etc, this is also very reasonable.

For example, here is a picture of our new home, was finished last year, we received our first property tax bill and it was $1900.00 Seriously! The same house where we moved from would be in excess of $12K/yr. And if you are in to architecture, as you will find, there is a full spectrum of styles and price ranges to purchase.

There is also a number of civic organizations that are very active, this includes all the usual organizations to car clubs. Being a resort area the members are not all full time, so this gives it a great diversity of membership.

The Hospital is continuing to expand, and has a respected staff, especially in Cardiac, and is designated a Level III Trauma Center.https://www.lakeregional.com/services/emergency-care/

You will never have trouble buying groceries or finding a piece of wood to build a project, WE have an over abundance of those businesses.

On water, there are hundreds of places to visit, dine and hang out. Our shore line is longer than the border of California!

The downside is: We live in bubble. When you are a full timer, it is not the same as being a weekender (They have more fun!) People come and go all the time so it takes a bit to make friends, and you will loose all sense of reality when it comes to money. Some people have everything they ever want and more, others barely make it. I guess you have that everywhere, but it seems to be much more noticeable between the lines here. It is easy to get caught up in the fast life, and hang with people that always have more.

Politics: WE ARE NOT LIKE CALIFORNIA, in any way!

Overall... It is a great place to live, but I cannot stress enough, before you make a life changing decision, come spend a couple of weeks and make sure you feel comfortable.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

My Ride
    24 ft Four Winns
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Go_Jim View Post
    Living at the Lake year-round is paradise, as long as it fits what you’re looking for, or what you’re willing to tolerate. The people are indeed friendly, and crime is nothing like it is in the big cities. (This is the safest place I’ve ever lived.) The cost of living is relatively low. Perhaps the most common complaint among full-timers is the difficulty in finding reliable contractors and workers. They’re here, but you have to ask around to find them.

The winters, from November 1 to March 15th, are extremely quiet. There aren’t a whole lot of fun things to do, or much of anything going on. It’s best to have some indoor hobbies or things to keep you busy, or you’re likely to get bored. If you like to fish or hike, there are usually enough days in the winter when the weather is mild enough to get outside. Springfield, Jefferson City and Columbia are easy drives away, and offer many more things to do.

On March 15th, the fishermen come out in droves. The powerboaters start coming out in April, and by Memorial Day all hell breaks loose. The holiday weekends, and the summer weekends, are very busy, and the lake gets rough. The lake is mostly smooth during the week, even in the summer. Many full-timers just boat during the week, and avoid the craziness on the weekends. If you can get by with that, you’ll love the lake even more. I pity the poor folks who come here just on the weekends in the summer and get beat up riding around in the rough water.

Weather-wise, April, May, September and October are beautiful. June, July and August are hot and humid. November-February weather ranges from cool to chilly to cold to very cold. We haven’t had much snow in the last five winters or so.

You’ll love living at the lake much more if you live right along the waterfront. I can’t imagine not living in a lakefront home or condo. There’s always something interesting to see along the water—sunsets, birds, boats, fall foliage, etc. You need to choose very carefully, though, because there’s a huge difference between living on the main channel or in a cove (especially if you own a boat dock), or between something in the busy parts of the lake versus the quiet parts.

The Lake is a wonderful place to live. It’s not perfect. I’d love to have perfect weather year-round, but then we’d have 5 million people living here, and I’d hate that. We get hot and cold weather, but at least we don’t get hurricanes or wildfires. I also like the fact that, unlike the ocean, there’s nothing in our water that’s going to eat you. Plus, the water is relatively clean.
    DAMN NOW I WANT TO MOVE TO THE LAKE! the weekends are wonderful to me for now.

On a side note Lake p.a.l. if you are moving from CA I imagine you are going to have your pick of the lake budget wise and I would recommend an extended visit in the winter

Austin Lake Travis / LOTO on the Gravois Arm
    My Ride
    02 Nordic Heat/13 BassCat Puma
    Post Thanks / Like
    I also like the fact that, unlike the ocean, there’s nothing in our water that’s going to eat you.

Great summary -- especially that part.

Glenwood, IA/10mm Spring Cove/Poplar Bluff, MO
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are things to do in the winter. Jane and I just had a fun filled evening playing Extreme Bingo last night at Marty Byrds. We will be attending Christmas with the Nelson's at Port Arrowhead in December. The Laurie fairgrounds is decorated with Christmas lights from now til January and is open every night. Every Thursday is Bryant Auction. I recently picked up a kick ass backpack blower there and am blowing leaves all over the neighborhood. I know it's not boating but there are still things to do around her in the winter.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk
    "You can fall many times in life...But you're never a failure as long as you try to get up!" - Evel Knievel

My Ride
    Intrepid, Formula, Cigarette
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did the full time thing (for the most part) from 2014 until 2018. It was really nice but the winters get a little boring. I much prefer my 50-50 split now with south Florida.

I am lucky in the fact that my lake road has several county employees and school district employee residents so my street gets plowed FASTER than my street in Lawrence Kansas did so we never really get stuck. I also rigged my home redo with a big generator so the iffy rural electrical support in my area gets taken out of the equation.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    I believe Lake p.a.l. has an outboard skater....I don't think you'll enjoy the winters here. The lake is like a light switch with 2 extremes....summer weekends are way too busy and the winter is completely dead.
    And the winters are COLD! I love LOTO but coming from the Delta with year round boating, I don't think you'd enjoy the winters, unless you could snow bird down to South Florida for 6 months.

My Ride
    Intrepid, Formula, Cigarette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Average Joe View Post
    I believe Lake p.a.l. has an outboard skater....I don't think you'll enjoy the winters here. The lake is like a light switch with 2 extremes....summer weekends are way too busy and the winter is completely dead.
    And the winters are COLD! I love LOTO but coming from the Delta with year round boating, I don't think you'd enjoy the winters, unless you could snow bird down to South Florida for 6 months.
    Now wait a minute, there are always Tuesdays during the summer when the weather is warm and water is smooth. Wednesdays and Thursdays aren't too bad either for the most part.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought I would enjoy full time living, until winter came ..... I now split my time between SWF and Loto, much much warmer in the winter, NO SNOW or ICE
    Life is gooder in retirement !!!! - Endless Summer Live Life !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a 308 Skater with whackers clamped on the back. We would also buy an enclosed toon or similar for winter boating. My wife is an architect and I've been in the golf cart business 25 years so it's fairly easy for us to "work" from anywhere. I'm trying to put together a plan to visit LOTO in 2019. Thanks for all the help.