PDA

View Full Version : 225 Crownline - A prop for more speed, (sound familiar)

87vette
12-04-2004, 10:20 PM
Greetings Julie,
I have a 225 Crownline with a 6.2 Bravo 1. It will run 57 mph at 5100 RPM. It's a 1.65 ratio with a 19 pitch Mirage Plus. The hole shot is great as it will come out equal to the Bravo 3 drives. My question is, can I pick up any more top speed with a prop change. I realize I will lose the hole shot a bit but I would like to be a bit lower in the power band. What do you think.

225 LPX
12-05-2004, 08:49 PM
Hes trying to stay ahead of a red LPX, someone help him [smilie=071.gif]

cabin fever
12-06-2004, 11:19 AM
Dave,
whats the top speed of your boat? I really like the lines. Seen it on Saylorville a couple of times this past summer, and it looked great.
-Shane

SunTime
12-06-2004, 02:08 PM
That's a pretty good number for the 225 with that power. Unless your using speedo numbers. If it's a GPS number your not going to see much if any more speed even with prop work on the 225 hull. It's one of very few hulls that actually will run faster with the Bravo III drive.

Collision Course
12-06-2004, 02:31 PM
i had a 97 225 ccr! it had the 350 mag, it also came with the 19 pitch prop and i would stay on 55mph wether we were fully loaded or had empty coolers and running on fumes,
i switched to a 21 pitch ballistic stainless prop and went to 58 mph on the top end when running empty, it did lower my rpm's allot!!, it would also kill your take off!, if i had several people and several coolers, it would give you that ( "everyone lean forward fealing") before it would get on plane,

which the holeshot loss was fine if it was just the two of us on a small lake like clearwater or kinkaid, but when i went to LOTO i always changed back to to the 19 pitch prop!

mine was all red too! [smilie=061.gif] but it was the cuddy [smilie=042.gif]

ohyeah these were all speedo #s too!

what do you think about adding more power to your engine?

87vette
12-06-2004, 07:45 PM
Hey Dave, everyone knows a black LPX is faster than a red LPX. [smilie=hammer]

Those would be speedometer numbers with two people and half a tank of fuel. Can't do mods yet, I have to wait for the warranty to expire. I did find out one thing though. You can switch the lower half of the drive between the B1's and the B3's. It makes the 1.65 a 2.00 ratio I believe.

I'm just teasing Dave, we're good lake friends. [smilie=042.gif]

Throttle Up
12-07-2004, 08:15 AM
Hello,

Your speedo is pretty generous , it seems. I have run your slip numbers and it has given you a negative slip number. So your Speedo is a bit generous...I'm sorry! however with the 6.2 you should run a 5200 RPM at WOT. This will produce the greatest top end for you. Let's talk about the attitude of the boat. What is it you like and what is it that you would like to improve?

Julie

87vette
12-07-2004, 12:05 PM
Hi Julie,
I pretty much assumed the speedo would be fast. The old boat was 3 mph fast. I guess I'll have to GPS it to give you numbers you can work with in the spring. I wondered if it might be possible to make the engine a little less busy when cruising. RPM pretty much follows the tach, (3000 rpm = 30mph etc.) until you get close to WOT. My thought was to increase the pitch to 21". lowering my RPM at WOT and at cruise.
I have been told by a knowledgeable person that the 19 pitch mirage plus is the best overall prop for this boat.

Thanks For the help

Throttle Up
12-07-2004, 12:18 PM
If you were to go to a 21P prop, your cuise speed will increase but you will possibly lose top end as you would be below the peak HP. As long as you stay in the torque band of the motor from 4800-5200 RPM at WOT. I think the 21P will bring your RPM to low to 4700. Now keep in mind that our diagnostics are all based on your props being true to pitch at a 19P.

Julie

225 LPX
12-11-2004, 09:10 PM
Dave,
whats the top speed of your boat? I really like the lines. Seen it on Saylorville a couple of times this past summer, and it looked great.
-Shane

Shane, the best I have seen via the speedo was 57. Hopefully this summer I will get a GPS.

I always thought red boats were faster than the black ones [smilie=265.gif]