PDA

View Full Version : Fine Dining

mcangus
07-27-2015, 07:29 PM
43rd anniversary coming up and trying to decide on something familiar or something new.

Baxter's Lakeside Grill, never get tired of the view of the bridge, the boats, the sunset. Have been many times.
J B Hooks, similar view, numerous times also, sometimes we eat at these two because of ease of access from 54 and returning from Columbia sports event.
Ruthie D's, had a place on the point of Horseshoe Bend rented last June and enjoyed a meal on the screened porch, again great view
J Bruner's, excellent food, but not impressed with the ambiance, maybe we just weren't seated in the best place and no lake side views, duh.
The Bull Pen, we were given a membership by our realtor when we closed, really really enjoy dining there and all the food has been great and certainly there is plenty of ambiance! But no windows, since it looks like you are going to eat in a barn when you drive up. :)

And one I cannot find on Google or Trip advisor since I have forgotten the name. It was on a high bluff way above the water, on old Highway 5 north of Camdenton, but before the Niangua Bridge. Been several years since eating there but had a pleasant evening on the patio overlooking the lake. On the west side of the highway and the water was laid out to the west it seems.

We have not been to the Blue Heron or the Copper Pot ( a long ways from our place in the upper reaches of the state park)
And we used to stay at Kinderhook with some friends but the Trophy Room is new since then I believe.

So what am I forgetting, or unaware of? Proof reading this it appears that the view and scenery may be as or more important than the food? Or perhaps at a quality restaurant the food is assumed to be good and it is the extras like the view or the ambiance that make the memories?

Thanks for any help.

SummersAtTheLake
07-27-2015, 07:35 PM
The place on highway 5 is the Trail House Inn and I believe the restaurant is now closed.
I haven't been to Michaels in a couple of years but if you haven't been there it is worth a try:
http://steakchalet.com/

mcangus
07-27-2015, 07:43 PM
Thanks for the name, googling it seems to show the Trail House as closed?

SummersAtTheLake
07-27-2015, 07:49 PM
If I remember right the restaurant, cabins, and rental trailers sold a couple of years ago. That stretch of old Highway 5 is dead now with the new 5 but I remember trying to drive that stretch on a Friday in the summer and it was BUSY and the old bridge was scary.

joey
07-27-2015, 08:11 PM
You've got most of the real good one's, for special dinners I always take Terri to the Blue Heron, she loves their salad and the fried lobster, it's not cheap............but you know the routine..................happy Wife happy life, have a great dinner. :)

Amicus
07-27-2015, 08:33 PM
Savannah Grill on HH is worth a try. Suggest checking their menu on-line.

Rickb
07-27-2015, 08:39 PM
I believe the Golden Rock Winery, in Camdenton is remodeling the old Trail House Inn for their new location?

mrbgmac
07-28-2015, 07:44 AM
One of my always favorites is Bentley's. Great food and service and priced right.

LOTODave
08-23-2015, 07:23 AM
It's been a while but we've enjoyed the Duck a couple times. Nices views, on the water, great for sunsets. Around the 4-5 mm I believe.

36Tango
08-23-2015, 07:32 AM
I think that The Duck has closed.

The upstairs at the Redhead Yacht Club after 3:00. Very nice setting (still get to look at boats) and nice atmosphere. The menu changes at 3:00 for more "fine dining" choices. I bet that they have a menu online.

tkk
08-24-2015, 03:29 PM
Our favorite fine dining at the lake is Windrose at Tan-Tar-A. It is consistently outstanding service. We really like that they don't try to cram a bunch of tables into the space. You get very attentive service and the food has always been fabulous.

We went to Redhead 2 weeks ago intending to dine downstairs. There was quite a wait so we decided to eat upstairs after reviewing the menu. I wish I could say we liked it as much as downstairs. My brother had scallops and he did say they were great. Several of us had the ribeye and none of us were impressed. The sides were also lack luster. There were fingerling potatoes that were over cooked and very tough and then carrots which were so-so at best. We will continue to frequent the downstairs but go elsewhere for fine dining.

the bear
08-24-2015, 03:31 PM
Michaels is my and my wifes favorite.....great view, atmosphere and great food!

Hawkeye
08-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Michaels is my and my wifes favorite.....great view, atmosphere and great food!

X2 - We really like how they prepare the Filets with the Andrea's sauce.

Do Over
08-25-2015, 09:49 AM
X2 - We really like how they prepare the Filets with the Andrea's sauce.

X3....awesome steaks....pricy but worth it.