PDA

View Full Version : How to on buffing?

simulatedjim
04-10-2004, 08:35 PM
Assume I know nothing about buffing. I can borrow a high speed buffer but without pads. Tow vehicle has water spots and boat has little shine on topside. What type of pads? foam, wool? Where is a good supplier? What product to start with? I would like to try least aggressive and move to more if needed. I have a donor boat to experiment with.

Frenzy
04-10-2004, 08:44 PM
A donor boat?? You're already ahead of the game!

On your boat: I always use wool pads. Get a spur (a tool for cleaning pads) and use it when your buffer gets "caked".

I would try first with Wax. If you find you need something more aggressive , use a light compound. Set buffer at around 1200 rpms and keep it moving. Do not apply pressure as you could burn through the gel or vinyl. Tilt the pad slightly as you go.

Before you go this route, however, I would simply try to apply Waxing Frenzy! by hand on your boat and tow rig. We have had great results on boats we thought would have to be buffed. You really want to limit your buffing as you strip clear coat and gel each time.

Hope this helps. You can call anytime if you need more assistance.

simulatedjim
04-12-2004, 07:57 PM
Hi Kim, I have already tried frenzy by hand and with orbital buffer without much luck. I think the truck can be done but it would take an extremely long time. I have a couple of questions as far as application. Do you apply wax to the surface being buffed or to the pad itself? How big of an area do you work on at one time?
Thanks JIM

Frenzy
04-12-2004, 08:09 PM
I have never used a high speed buffer on a truck (boats are my bag!). If you haven't either, I would recommend contacting someone who specializes in automotive surface restoration.

As for buffing Waxing Frenzy!, I apply it to the surface directly and buff it in. You can do as large an area as you like as the wax will not harden if it sits.

Sorry I can't be more help. :roll: