Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: House hunting

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would think long and hard about a second tier home. If it were me, I would lower my standards a bit before being off the lake (maybe a bit smaller, some repairs, etc.). It is kind of like going car (or truck) shopping with your heart set on a red one. You buy a blue one because it is what the dealer had and you could save a few hundred. Most of the time it does not take long for remorse to set in. The thought of owning a piece of the lakefront that you control, and to have a private dock that you can do what you want seem like the way to go, IF it can fit the budget.

That all being said, living at the lake would be nice, no mattter where you are.

Post Thanks / Like
    I vote NO. There is a reason that 2nd tier houses are cheap, cause it's almost on the lake.... The advantage of sitting on YOUR deck and watching the boats go by or whatever you like to watch is what it all about. Plus having YOUR own dock means we can have dock parties like AJB did at his old place!!

Please tell me you haven't sold everything so you and that beautiful wife could move ALMOST to the lake...
    What you do with 'em? Motorboat? You play the motorboat? You motorboatin' son of a bitch!!!

Owner - Throttleman
    P4-17 Team KANSAS
    SBI / APBA / OPA / POPRA
    United we race!!

My Ride
    '06 Regal 3350 "Perfect Fit"
    Post Thanks / Like
    When I was looking last year I looked at a few 2nd tier houses and made an offer on one. Met all your requirements except price. I looked at a few with community docks, and generally they were in poor shape compared to their neighbors (nobody ever wanted to spend money on maintenance and repair).

A friend of mine sold his fairly new 1900' 3BR, 2BA, 2GA house, totally remodeled, for $205K in 4 Seasons this Spring. No community dock, but it wouldn't have been hard to find a neighbor across the street that had an extra slip for rent.

You're THIS close to living ON the lake. If you weren't the most avid boater I know, I'd say go for the 2nd tier. If you're thinking that a community dock keeps you around other boaters, don't worry. Get a big enough dock, because all your friends will eclipse what gathering you would get on a community dock anyway!

If it takes putting off a new boat for a while, that's a small sacrifice to get the house you'll really enjoy. Let me know if you and Kathy are needing some boating time. I'm still taking mine out for a few more weeks (then it's up to Tony!)
    J.D. Stewart
    '06 Regal 3350 "Perfect Fit"

My Ride
    1999 Baja 29 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Table Rock house is 2nd tier. Not so great. True you are at the lake, but you can't really "see" the lake like the people below us can.
    The community dock Charles was on, well, he got asked to leave the dock. They didn't quite understand why someone would want to hang out on the dock & party. So, he built his own right next to the dock he was tossed off of. Plus, there isn't really any substitute for being able to have your own dock for your own sh!t. Community docks are good, if you can't own your own.
    I'm sure some of this will be different with you being a full-timer.
    Stirring the pot since 2005!

My Ride
    2002 baja 33 outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie,
    Call Bill and get the low down on his neighbors ( Kens) place

Post Thanks / Like
    We bought 2nd tier because the kids were young and we wanted a yard. I love the 7 acres and the view and would not trade it for the world. On the water there are so many variables between Ameren changing guidelines, now the floodplains, and the septic laws are changing. There are days that I would rather be on the water, on those days I go to my parents or a freinds house and enjoy it even more. I think when you are full time you should not burn yourself out with the problems, and enjoy the lake more. Just my 2 cents.
    Last edited by flying33; 10-19-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Maybe less boat and more house, just an idea, good luck, Ed.

My Ride
    New to me Cruiser & Friends
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by FunHome
    I vote NO. ......

Please tell me you haven't sold everything so you and that beautiful wife could move ALMOST to the lake...
    Yeah I'm with Fun Home - keep looking you'll find it !
    It's just a damn shame that common sense just isn't common. - Got 4-Play?

Post Thanks / Like
    don't do it.....for resale and appreciation alone, look at how long some of those second tier houses have been on the market. Terry didn't talk to highly of them in general, when we were looking. Your money needs to go mostly into the lot. The rest can be fixed over time. Ive looked at several nice waterfront houses over the years in that area for that price range. Yea many of them didn't have the garage or be brand new, but you would be much better off with them. It took us over 2 years to find the one we were after, they are there if you don't make yourself in a hurry.
    Last edited by duckcommander; 10-19-2009 at 02:45 PM.

My Ride
    Fisher Price Floaty Boat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by duckcommander
    don't do it.....for resale and appreciation alone, look at how long some of those second tier houses have been on the market. Terry didn't talk to highly of them in general, when we were looking. Your money needs to go mostly into the lot. The rest can be fixed over time. Ive looked at several nice waterfront houses over the years in that area for that price range. Yea many of them didn't have the garage or be brand new, but you would be much better off with them. It took us over 2 years to find the one we were after, they are there if you don't make yourself in a hurry.
    I do agree to a point, but every house is different. I originally was against it, but we found a 2nd tier home with an incredible view for far less than we budgeted. It has a two car garage, great yard for the dogs, and I walk down 32 steps, make a left, and I'm at my favorite watering hole at the lake (getting back up the steps is another story... ). If I turn right, the community dock is 60 feet away. We had looked at numerous houses (probably over 40) over the summer not wanting to rush anything, and the few foreclosures that were available were really in sad shape. BTW, any real estate agent can get the foreclosure listings for you as well, you just have to ask. That being said, make sure you have a good agent and make them earn their money. We got our house for over 30% off the listing price. Now I need to find a Donzi and a 1970 GTO to fill in part of the garage with the money that I saved.

Just curious, why would you want waterfront and not have a personal dock? That was the only reason I originally wanted waterfront, but my view more than makes up for it.

My Ride
    2000 382
    Post Thanks / Like
    Lake Front

Post Thanks / Like
    Have you woke up from your dream yet what you want for 200,000 come on

My Ride
    Resin Bucket
    Post Thanks / Like
    Waterfront!!!

Keep shoppin.. You will find something. Try putting a flier Up @ Pauls on the bulletin board that you are looking for a house. A FSBO could be sitting out there that you don't even know exists..

Post Thanks / Like
    Buy a lakefront lot Ed. I'll come down and build you a house this winter. It might go a little over $200,000 though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Lakefront is the only way to go. You can't come up with "WHAT IF'S" being on the water. If your going to be at the lake, be at the lake.... Good Luck..
    Social Everybody!!