Glenwood, IA/10mm Spring Cove/Poplar Bluff, MO
    Post Thanks / Like

Credit Card Processing Companies

Anyone here have experience with accepting credit cards for payments? What I have in mind is renting travel trailers out that are already on site. I have read horror stories about credit card processers. Is PayPal any better? Are Electric Checks any better? Im looking at about 5 rentals per weekend so its not a huge amount we are talking about. Maybe its just better to not accept credit cards and just go with cash or check?
    Last edited by Jammer864; 10-09-2010 at 05:55 AM.

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Dead Presidents (cash) are always the best. Checks are good also as you have recourse through the criminal system. Credit cards are a pain in the ass. They cost a bunch to process, there are a bunch of rules to follow, and any customer that holds a grudge against you (or just wants something for free), can dispute it. I would aim for cash or a check for payment, and a credit card for a damage deposit.

My Ride
    2007 BAJA
    Post Thanks / Like
    I really regret my decision to accept credit cards. I get only about two or three customers a month with them and I spent alot of money on the equipment.

Last month I received notice that the terminal I bought is obsolete! They hit you with upfront fees, monthly fees and transaction fees. However, when people travel they always want to use credit cards, so you may want to consider how many people you will have to turn away without them.

My Ride
    '06 Regal 3350 "Perfect Fit"
    Post Thanks / Like
    I use First Data. Never had a chargeback in the two years that I used them. They'll go to bat for you.

Equipment-wise, I use a little brick card reader that plugs into a USB port on my laptop. As long as I have Internet access, I can process cards anywhere. PM me if you want more details.

Oh, and where would this be? If it's close to me, I can send referrals from my rental customers (and vice versa).
    J.D. Stewart
    '06 Regal 3350 "Perfect Fit"

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think you can go wrong with PAYPAL, if it works for you, it's pretty much guaranteed.

Post Thanks / Like
    I use a company called heartland. never had a problem, they always answer the phone on a tec question, clear english as well!! low fees and even the same rate for the majors across the board. amex, discover, visa, mastercard, debits are cheaper. Mine is portable since we goto shows and use it in the store as well. No crazy upfront stuff, contracts that kill ya if you if you cancel, and I purchased the machine out right from them cheaper than I could buy it on the market.

Glenwood, IA/10mm Spring Cove/Poplar Bluff, MO
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks Guys,

I like the idea of the portable thingys that a couple of you mentioned, thanks alot for the processing company leads too. This would be in the Omaha area for next summer as a summer job for the kids. Im leaning towards cash or check with CC damage deposit. We are working on getting some trailers lined up right now. Thanks again.

My Ride
    2008 caravelle 237 LS, 350 Mag
    Post Thanks / Like
    Accepting credit cards, no matter how much a pain the initial setup is, is almost a must. Everything I do is on my one card and I pay it off at the end of the month. I know a lot of people that do it, especially with airline cards and others that give you rewards for using them. I would think it is about 50/50 on those that prefer to use cc's instead of cash.

My Ride
    03 38' PP & 00 380 Sundancer
    Post Thanks / Like
    Accepting credit cards is a must these days. Over 75% of the people visiting my shop pay by credit card. Figure ROUGHLY 2% +/- for fees. The ability to accept debit cards with a PIN pad will save you a bunch. Usually it is a flat fee (cheap) for processing a debit card.
    Because there is "No Life Like It"

St. Charles Missouri LOTO Indian Creek - Gravois Arm
    My Ride
    Formula 353 FasTec
    Post Thanks / Like
    If you are a member of Costco - they have a plan with Elavon. According to Costco's latest magazine: no high-cost contracts, all costs and fees are given up front $25.00 activation 4.95 monthly statement fee processing rate based on type of transaction and "small" charge per transaction. No batch fees. 1.48% plus .20 per card swiped for retail merchants. 1.99% plus .27 per transaction for mail and phone orders. Open a new account in October through Costco and get a $150.00 Costco card. 888-605-2488 - Coupon code 23210 or visit elavon.com/costco
    Women love men that love boats - We figure they are used to high maintenance
    They are also passionate about things they love!

Post Thanks / Like
    I just signed up right before the shootout with a company that mi-mo crdit unioin set me up with.... the rep was great the service so far has been great it is a cellular based system ( important for me for doing trade shows and events) easy to use all wireless and 1 button push to batch out and have fundssent to my account..... i am away from home right now but will get u the company name.... the reps name is Jason 417.224.0874 if you would tell him Shane Sherman with Powerboatcalendar.com sent you... thanks also if i didnt need to do POS payment i would have used paypal exclusivly.... but i wanted a system i could swipe with....