Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    33 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like

33 Outlaw - mis matched props.

Was behind the boat yesterday on the jetski, tied off, doing some cleaning now that the boat is finally on our lift full time. Just realized I have one Mirage Plus 23p and another different 23p...it has 4 veins in the hub and the writing is very small. Anyway, the boat seems to ride Port side down altcmost always...could this be the culprit? Also reading that Baja's tend to do that?

Anyway, how big of a deal is it that they don't match? I'm getting about 61-61 mph at 4600 rpm max which is what it sounds like may be it for the 7.4 liter boats?

Any advice or suggestions? The current props are pretty rough around the edges...literally. Top speed is not such a concern has the performance and rpm range around 50 mph...which is where we've been cruising the rougher days.

My Ride
    What ever they let me drive
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are several versions of the Mirage props, it could be an older Mirage 23. Did you take any pictures?
    www.BigThunderMarine.com

My Ride
    "Stress Eliminator" 36 Daytona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Could be one prop has more stern lift in the profile than the other. Definitely a good idea to match them side to side.
    Summer time is Happy time

My Ride
    33 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by eddie View Post
    There are several versions of the Mirage props, it could be an older Mirage 23. Did you take any pictures?
    No pics, sorry. The Mirage Plus has 3 veins inside the hub, the other had 4 (and the tiny writing on the hub). Other than that they LOOK almost identical from the exterior. But again, that's by the eye, no measurements. Could ONE mismatched prop, one lifting more have enough lift to make it go port side down a little? I think you said you ran a LOT of hours in one of these Eddie? Did you notice your running port down at all?

Best I can remember it looked like this...a regular Mirage http://www.ebay.com/itm/21-PITCH-QUI...-/130871066123

My Ride
    38 Donzi
    Post Thanks / Like
    I had a similar thing on our boat. original owner had prop lock put on when the boat was new. marina didn't do it right and lost one prop. They replaced the prop with another one of same make and pitch. Should be fine, right? This guy fought throttle splits the entire time he owned the boat. 12 years. Three different service places looked at it from the records he gave me. adjusted throttle cables, checked this, checked that.
    The boat came new with lab finished props. The one replaced was standard out of the box.
    Its amazing how well the engine match up with two identical props.

Post Thanks / Like
    Standard Mirage props will perform differently than Mirage Plus props. Quicksilver Mirage props have less cup than Mirage Plus props. You should run the same castings. Let me know what the part numbers are and what is written on the hubs and we can help from there.

Brett
    Brett A. Anderson
    BBLADES Professional Propellers, LLC.
    Shop 920-295-4435
    FAX 920-295-4436
    www.bblades.com

My Ride
    33 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Okay...the OTHER prop is a Quicksilver. I couldn't get close enough to get the exact numbers, but it looks like this I found on ebay...
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercury-Quic...b78571&vxp=mtr

And the other prop, as mentioned is a M+ 23p

My boat definitely rides port side down quite a bit, to the point you can't really run it without tabs. That just doesn't seem right.

My Ride
    What ever they let me drive
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have two LH 23's on consignment I could possibly have a match for you. They sell used for $110.00 each.
    www.BigThunderMarine.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Escrowdog View Post
    Okay.My boat definitely rides port side down quite a bit, to the point you can't really run it without tabs. That just doesn't seem right.

Not good, definitely not good, if you can't get a match, might have to look at two diff one's.................ouch, good luck.

My Ride
    33 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by joey View Post
    Not good, definitely not good, if you can't get a match, might have to look at two diff one's.................ouch, good luck.
    I'm fine with that...just want it RIGHT! I think my mechanic has some Bravo I 4 blades in a 22p we may try. At least get a matched pair on there and see how it rides. I'd be curious to see how 4 blades perform anyway. More concerned about midrange/cruising speed performance and "economy"...if that's a word you can even use here...vs top speed. With 7.4's it's a mute point on top speed.

Having a blast in the boat though Joey! SO glad I went ahead and got something. Sure has changed how I look at boating on Saturday! Dare I say I look forward to some rough water now!!???

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Escrowdog View Post
    Having a blast in the boat though Joey!

Glad to hear it, that's what it's all about.

Post Thanks / Like
    Still need to have the numbers off the props or close up pics to make the determination.
    If you wish to test a matched pair, just call us.

Brett
    Brett A. Anderson
    Shop 920-295-4435
    FAX 920-295-4436
    www.bblades.com

My Ride
    33 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well...those part numbers helped....

The "other" prop is 48-13705 A40. LH

The one with the cast in "Mirage Plus" is 48-13704. RH

They are BOTH listed as a Mirage Plus!!! But the hubs are different. The big question is are the blades the same?

Also, I was testing some Bravo 1's 22p and 24p...more on that in a minute.

The LH "other" prop I removed had an insert in the boat side of the hub and the spline insert on the nut side...just like the B1's we were installing. The RH prop with the "mirage plus" engraved I removed, carefully and set on the swim deck and installed the test prop. My son came and grabbed that prop off the swim platform for me. Later when I went to inspect those "stock" props I notices there was NO insert on in the hub on the boat side...just the splined nut side insert. I would have seen or heard something drop that heavy if it hit the water? Did he lose it or did it not have one?? He would have told me if he dropped it as I'm not a hot head with stuff like that. I just didn't notice if it had the same insert. The splined inserts were completely different on each hub too.

Post Thanks / Like
    All Plus series Mirage props have the same geometry.
    There has been changes in the attaching hardware over the years. There has also been some overlapping during these changes. Is the A40 a square bore hub or round bore?

Brett
    Brett A. Anderson
    Shop 920-295-4435
    FAX 920-295-4436
    www.bblades.com

My Ride
    33 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's a square bore...or a bore just like the Bravo 1's I tried out.

Also, are these props "plated" or polished? I always thought they were polished but it appears the finish has come off mine? Looking at them from the dock previously it appeared they were really scaled up. Once I got up close I could see the remaining shiny areas appeared like left over plating.

After going back and running these last weekend, I definitely prefer them over the Bravo 1 4 blades I tried. I do get a fair amount of slip out of the hole (but no trouble planing) with the M+ but the cruise speed and top end is better...and I already OWN these. Brett, is there anything to be gained by sending these in to be cleaned up/polished/labbed? Again, running 7.4's I'm not breaking any speed records regardless.