Thread: Mono Amp size

Post Thanks / Like

Mono Amp size

I'm currently running (4) JL 7.7 MX series speakers in my cockpit powered by a Sony 600w 4 channel amp. I want to add (2) 10"JL Mx series subs under my rear bench. My question is, Is a 500X1 JL Mono amp enough to power these two subs adequately? Do I really need to run 2 subs or would 1 be sufficient? Not looking to win any competitions, just looking to compliment what I already have.

Thanks

My Ride
    .38 Special
    Post Thanks / Like
    Max RMS power for the MX series is 175 watts. The single 500 amp should be plenty big enough for the two subs. The M series is rated at 250 w rms.
    Don Dusselier
    10 MM LOTO

My Ride
    '91 Mastercraft 240SC
    Post Thanks / Like
    I agree a 500w mono JL would be fine for powering two JL infinite baffle subs.

The answer to your primary quest of additional bass is completely subjective.
    Plenty of Infinite baffle vs enclosure threads. They all boil down to how much bass is satisfactory and how much space / money are you willing to give up to improve sound?

IMO, think of any 10" IB as low frequency reinforcement rather than BASS. It simply can not generate the air pressure necessary.
    I would suggest you find a boat with an IB installed and listen to it OUTSIDE with high ambient noise before you make a $1,000 decision and cut holes.
    I have a roll bar for a reason.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Ok.. Thanks guys.