Post Thanks / Like

New Stereo Head Unit - Old wired remote

I have a 2003 Cobalt 262. It has two hard wired remote key pads to control the stereo. I typically only use them as volume controls as I listen to tunes off my phone for the most part.
    I would like to upgrade the stereo head unit to one that is capable of bluetooth audioo streaming; however, I am having a difficult time finding out information about the remotes and what would be compatible with them.

The remotes were made for Sony by a defunct company by the name of Access Technologies and are model MRC-2 (Marine Remote Commanders). These are the rectangular/ovalish key pads with the gelly buttons that were popular. There are no displays. I've seen them in both black and white. They connect to the head unit with a 1/8" plug.

I imagine there are a lot of boat owners that have upgraded and kept the remotes. New wired remotes are an option but at $100 a pop I'd rather use the money for a sub in the future.

Right now I've got 6 Polk DB651s powered by a JL Audio M600/6. I want to upgrade to a BT head unit then add a sub.

So does anyone know? Do the remotes work with any brands other than Sony? Do the remotes work on pretty much any of the newer head units that have in input jack for steering wheel controls? Any suggestions for a head unit?

Thanks

My Ride
    '91 Mastercraft 240SC
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have not done much with remotes but from my experience remotes are pretty brand specific and generation specific.

Not a fan of clarion due to limited pre outputs. Kenwood marine has a BT models with 3 pair outputs at slightly higher 2.5v.
    You can also still find Alpine's discontinued work horse CDA-9886M and associated wireless remote pods. Really like their controls. 3 output pairs and 4v.
    I have a roll bar for a reason.......

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the response. I think I found what I'm looking for in a Sony unit.
    Sony MEXM70BT is their latest, has all the pre-outs I need, blue tooth, XM-Sirius ready, 5.0Volt outs and accepts the legacy wired remotes I have. Unfortunately it is new enough to have no user reviews and is not readily available.

My Ride
    2006 Cobalt 343 & 1974 Cig 20
    Post Thanks / Like
    Remotes have come along way since the Access Tech versions. My Kenwood remote controls everything and displays just as much info as the head unit itself. Very handy when the head unit is tucked away in the cabin. Remote can be surface mounted or recessed.

Remote:
    http://www.kenwood.ca/Car_Entertainm...ne/KCA-RC107MR

Head Unit:
    http://www.kenwood.ca/Car_Entertainm...tions/KMR-700U

Post Thanks / Like

Did this Sony model work for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Wet Rat View Post
    Thanks for the response. I think I found what I'm looking for in a Sony unit.
    Sony MEXM70BT is their latest, has all the pre-outs I need, blue tooth, XM-Sirius ready, 5.0Volt outs and accepts the legacy wired remotes I have. Unfortunately it is new enough to have no user reviews and is not readily available.
    I have a 2007 Cobalt 222 and I have those same remotes and am struggling to find much info in the way of compatibility to validate what will work as a replacement. Any help would be appreciated.

Post Thanks / Like
    Hello Wet Rat! I'm having the same issue you had with my cobalt 250. Did that Sony unit end up working out?

Post Thanks / Like
    Hi Jason - how did you end up resolving your problem? I just ordered a new Sony unit and hope its works when I go to plug it in.