Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crappie 2015

My Ride
    Powerquest 380 Avenger
    Post Thanks / Like

Crappie 2015

Has the spawn started? I was fishing from the dock last weekend and caught several 12"-14". Caught them from 12' to 4' deep. All them were in deep water just didn't catch them deep.
    If stupid could fly, you'd be a Jet!

St. Charles Missouri LOTO Indian Creek - Gravois Arm
    My Ride
    Formula 353 FasTec
    Post Thanks / Like
    We fished this weekend Crappie were biting best in the evening (after dark) and were very shallow 2-4' deep.
    Women love men that love boats - We figure they are used to high maintenance
    They are also passionate about things they love!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    We fished this weekend Crappie were biting best in the evening (after dark) and were very shallow 2-4' deep.
    Well thats just friggin great - I was planning on getting some work done around the house (JCMO) tonight - NOW I gotta change plans...

St. Charles Missouri LOTO Indian Creek - Gravois Arm
    My Ride
    Formula 353 FasTec
    Post Thanks / Like
    doesn't mean that it will be the same NOW. Fish are like women, we do what we want when we want!
    Women love men that love boats - We figure they are used to high maintenance
    They are also passionate about things they love!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Terri View Post
    doesn't mean that it will be the same NOW. Fish are like women, we do what we want when we want!

......and they are both good eat'in

WHAT?????? you thought I would not go there????

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    Well I went down at 4-ish this evening (40 minutes from JC to the cabin). I caught three off the dock right off, and then I couldn't catch anything but a 2.5 pound drum for like 2+ hours. Then at dusk, the started hitting again. Limited out

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    2 of us worked like hell to catch limits the past 2 days. Tough fishing on the Glaize. Fish are very scattered and not close to being on beds. Water is 55-58 degrees.

My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    I am new to this idea of fishing at Loto ..... So I will need a license (with my luck I would get caught) --- What else

Fishing Pole - What lb line?
    Minnows?
    Worms?
    Jigs?
    Fish Basket?
    Electric Knife?
    Minnow Bucket?

Any advise would be appreciated, I plan on fishing from the docks for now

Thanks in advance - LakeRat
    Life is gooder in retirement !!!! - Endless Summer Live Life !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerat View Post
    I am new to this idea of fishing at Loto ..... So I will need a license (with my luck I would get caught) --- What else

Fishing Pole - What lb line?
    Minnows?
    Worms?
    Jigs?
    Fish Basket?
    Electric Knife?
    Minnow Bucket?

Any advise would be appreciated, I plan on fishing from the docks for now

Thanks in advance - LakeRat
    The $12 or so fee for fishing permit is CHEEEEEEEP compared to the huge fine for fishing w/o one. Get it. Also know your daily catch and possession limits. If anything at least to know when you're over and should be watching what you're doing.

Rod/reel/line - I use a $39 Bass Pro Microlite rod with a $13 Shimano X2000 spinning reel (have about 7 of these rigs, only had one reel go bad in 15 years), with good 6 lb test line replaced each year at beginning of season
    Jigs/minnows - depends on conditions - I use jigs nearly 100% for the ease of using
    Fish stringer (when walking banks), fish basket (for back at dock and offloading stringer)
    Filet knife - I use an electric at the dock, regular knife is good too keep it sharp
    Etc, etc - I keep my reading glasses handy for tying the jigs/hooks on (old eyes), and headlight (for when it gets dark and you're still fishing and break a line)

I'm sure others will add suggestions too.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Tango View Post
    2 of us worked like hell to catch limits the past 2 days. Tough fishing on the Glaize. Fish are very scattered and not close to being on beds. Water is 55-58 degrees.
    One word that's never failed me when the day fishing is rough - 'dusk'. I caught 12 of my limit last night when it was starting to get dark and they moved in to the banks.

Post Thanks / Like
    Anybody know WHY they pulled the lake back down to Winter pool again ?
    They screwed up the spawn last year by doing the same thing.
    Bass and crappie will begin nesting at the current level soon (they have already started in some areas) and then Ameren will slap 4-5' of water on top of them during mid-spawn. Not good !

Post Thanks / Like
    I am guessing they were trying to anticipate more rain coming down the pipe - but thats just a guess. I'd sure like to see a couple more feet right now too for my hot spots are a bit too shallow at this time.

I've seen the water level change right at spawn several years now - aggravating - but I've always (knock on wood!!) been able to get as many as I need regardless.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ameren doesn't give a crap about our fishing!!! My father and I fished pretty hard both Saturday and Sunday last weekend to get our limits. Nothing easy out there yet, but they can be found deeper if searched for. No big schools yet. Crappie are definitely not spawning yet. Nothing was caught under 5 ft of water with most caught in the 10-12 range under docks and some on some small flats in the back of coves. Water temp was a steady 56 degrees all weekend. IMO it needs to break 60 before things get rockin. The BBB this weekend will put a lot of fishing pressure on them. I'm gonna wait another week to get back down. Still think the spawn is 2-3 weeks away judging my the weather maps.

Post Thanks / Like
    My biggest concern for now is the White bass spawn. We have had a good balanced fishery here at LO for quite awhile, but sucking down the lake prevents the whites from running up the creeks to do their thing. We lost a complete year class of whites when they did this type of drawdown last year....and now here they go doing it again.
    Without the whites to help keep the shad population in check it creates an imbalance that probably won't be beneficial at all.
    White bass only live for 4-5 years tops, and now we are about to loose another year class.

Not good !

There are highly paid biologists out there that are supposed to be keeping track of things like this....but it appears they are asleep on the job.