Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    What ever they let me drive
    Post Thanks / Like

Ft Myers, Florida ideas

I'm going to Ft Myers with NE Baja & his lovely gf next week and we could use some ideas of things to check out while we are down. He's leaving and LK and I are going to stay a few extra days for our 10 year anniversary

Anyone stayed at this joint: http://www.sanibel-resort.com ?

What else should we check out/do?

Post Thanks / Like
    Any MWBP peeps down there to hitch a ride from. Have a good time and take lots of pictures.
    You would not know I drank unless you met me sober

Post Thanks / Like
    Eddie,
    I went by the Sanibel Resort over Christmas (stayed a week at another place) but haven't been inside. Sanibel is pretty laid back if that is what you are looking for--Ft. Myers Beach has MUCH more nightlife and I used to have a blast there in my younger (and dumber) days
    For a good afternoon trip take the boat out to Cabbage Key for a cheeseburger--don't forget to take a BIG cooler. Ding Darling refuge is pretty cool on Sanibel too.

My Ride
    33 Profile + 3 Seadoos + Wife
    Post Thanks / Like
    We head to Ft Myers Beach 3-5 times each winter. Check out the following:

1. Jimmy B's (sunset)
    2. Top of the Lani Kai (sunset)
    3. Top O Mast (Killer Rum Runners)
    4. Duseldorfs (fun hangout- ask for the guy from the U.P. of Mishigan)
    5. Cabasca's (101 margaritas)
    6. Smokin Oyster Brewery aka SOB- (Great local hangout w/freshest seafood)
    7. Beached Whale- Great ribs and steaks

I'm getting married on Ft Myers Beach December 2nd. Can't wait to go back.

My Ride
    What ever they let me drive
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks guys, this is just the kind of info I need
    www.BigThunderMarine.com

Post Thanks / Like
    I overnighted there once in a Sheraton close to the airport. Hope this helps!!!!

My Ride
    38 Special
    Post Thanks / Like
    The Beached Whale is great, make sure your get a table on top so you can watch the traffic. The pier at Ft. Myers is pretty cool at sunset. There is a nice rest/bar with a marina view but forgot its name. Its next door to a Rinker dealer and the launch port for the Key West Express. For a quick day trip try the Key West Express, a 4.5 hour ride to Key West. It leaves in the morning and returns about 9:30pm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Sanibel Island is one of the best florida vacations I have been on. We rented a beach front condo for a week. If you want some alone time, I don't think you could ask for a better FL place. Also it is known for it's massive amounts of sea shells on the beaches. You can rent bicycles and ride all over the island including a tour through the refuge area, 90% of the bicycle trails are black top walks and they run all over the island and along the beaches. Very laid back and natural setting.

My Ride
    resembles a battleship
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ASH
    I overnighted there once in a Sheraton close to the airport. Hope this helps!!!!
    And they want their towels and alarm clock back.

My Ride
    382 Fastech
    Post Thanks / Like
    Top of the Lani Kai has really cool rocking tables to watch the sunset in and toss back a few

Post Thanks / Like
    Glen-You were their in July for Formula right?

Post Thanks / Like
    Sanibel/Captiva Island is a great relaxing spot. Great for collecting shells. If you want to find any sand dollars, be sure to check out the beaches in the middle of the week. They are usually all gone by the weekend.
    Just about all the restaurants on the island are great.
    The Bubble Room is a pretty cool restaurant at the north end of Captiva Island. Great food, but their desserts are HUGE! I think they have a website.

There is a small fee to cross the bridge onto Sanibel/Captiva. Only a couple bucks, but I've forgotten and had to turn back to get cash.

If you rent a boat, there are lots of small hangout spots and party areas on the water. Don't know any specifics, but I know a few people over there who talk about it all the time. I can find out if you plan on boating.

Sounds like you guys are gonna have a great time. It's a beautiful time of the year to visit the area.
    2003 Yamaha LS2000

Post Thanks / Like
    My Family has been going to Sanibel and Captiva for 25 years. I agree with everyone else that the nightlife is not the greatest but being 34, I do know a few good spots. The Lazy Flamingo at Blind Pass is alot of fun for sitting around having a few beers and the food is awsome. Chad is the manager and lives upstairs, you can have a blast with him he likes to drink while working and can fill you in on everything to do on the island. The Mucky Duck on Captiva is great for sunsets and drinks. They usually have a band on the deck overlooking the gulf for sunsets and the food there is also great. Stay away from eating in South Seas, $11 cheeseburgers and $3 tea. On Sanibel the best place to go as a couple for dinner is Dolce Vita, Family owned with a dance floor and live band great italian food. The Bubble Room on Captiva is a great place to pick up deserts, but the food other than that is just ok, it used to be great, but is under new ownership and it shows, the food is subpar at best. Be careful of the speed limit it is 35, and the local police put Barney Fife to shame. They know your money comes from elsewhere and they want it just as bad as the resorts, restaurants and bars. It used to be the best place to go for dancing was the Jacaranda, although last time I was there (April) they had a guy playing Jazz Flute. So you might want to call first. Have a great time. Also if you are looking to go boating, we called Captain Dieter, he leaves out of South Seas, We paid $275.00 for for 6 people on a deck boat for 4 hours, and $50.00 an hour after that. He took us up to North Captiva shelling and then to Barnacle Bills for lunch, then in the afternoon we went to Cabbage Key, where Jimmy Buffett wrote Cheeseburger in Paradise, great drinks and awsome cheeseburger. If you would like Dieters #, PM me and I can get it for you. Also if you would like a listing of other places to stay we keep a list for friends of the family that come down while we are there. Have a great time!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Kooterx
    Be careful of the speed limit it is 35, and the local police put Barney Fife to shame.
    So VERY True!
    2003 Yamaha LS2000

My Ride
    Boatless
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ding Darling Nature Preserve on Sanibel is a must see.

Delnor Wiggins State Park Beach

Restaurants--
    Prawnbroker
    Channel Mark
    Sweating @ 90 is better than freezing @ 30!