Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 19
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Clayton. 3mm LOTO
    My Ride
    Sea-Ray 260
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like

    First Time Gun Owner

    Well I purchased my first handgun Tuesday. The last few nights I've been getting familiar with the gun, breaking it down, and watching every youtube video possible on gun safety and proper handling procedure. My wife and I are going to the range with some friends on Sunday. Any other tips for a first time gun owner?

  2. #2
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    3MM North Shore
    Posts
    1,738
    Post Thanks / Like
    Treat EVERY gun as if its loaded (whether you know or not), and make damn sure that barrel is pointed in a safe direction at all times. Don't put finger on trigger until ready to shoot.

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    19,510
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've had guns all my life, but the Wife not so much and even though I took her shooting a lot I still had her take a basic gun class, it was good for her, even though it went over a lot of the same stuff I taught her about handling, cleaning a gun and gun safety, it was still good for her.
    Safety is paramount, well worth the $90 bucks, she said it just reinforced the things she practiced and she felt more confident, we try and shoot every other Friday..........practice, practice, practice.
    BTW, if she wants to carry, they have CCW purses on Amazon and some other web-sites, have fun and be safe.

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    20.5 mm LOTO
    Posts
    2,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    What kind of gun?

    Though the "basic's" are common to every type of handgun when dealing with grip and stance, there is a number of practice tips we can help you with that is type specific. However, the first suggestion is to look at youtube under gun grip and stance. This will exponentially help you in getting the right control on the gun and getting used to the recoil. This is step one!

    Then after you have fired it to get used to the gun, start to practice at home dry firing.(MAKE SURE THE GUN IS UNLOADED!) This will help with sight and muscle control, to help in eliminating the anticipation when firing. It is also substantially less expensive than live firing. What I like to do, even at the range is shoot 1 magazine through the gun, then dry fire 10x, repeat until you are satisfied for the day. NOTE: Do NOT use a rim fire gun for this, it will damage the gun. Any Center fire, you should be good to go, just google your specific gun to make sure.

    I also like to shoot at a round target with circles, this helps me gain confidence and hone in my shots. If you are using silhouettes, take a magic marker and make a 1" dot on the center of the target, use this for your main target point and practice until you hit it each time. (THIS is not easy to do, it will take a while, but it is your goal!)

    Don't get frustrated it takes a while to become proficient. Also start your targets at 20', get proficient, then increase the distance. The worst thing you can do is try to overachieve. It takes time, I think I said that before...

    Once you have gotten the basics down, let us know about your progress and we can give you MANY more ideas!

    Here is an article in one of my blogs, maybe it will help: https://www.usconcealedcarry.com/cat...ining-tactics/

    Have fun!



    Also find a place where you can buy your Ammo, that is the expensive part about shooting! I use http://www.freedommunitions.com/#&panel1-2
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    On My Creek In Roach, Missouri
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ShowMe View Post
    Treat EVERY gun as if its loaded (whether you know or not), and make damn sure that barrel is pointed in a safe direction at all times. Don't put finger on trigger until ready to shoot.
    Even in a gun shop and even if you are Law Enforcement...this was pretty stupid though and I heard he shot the tip of his finger off and sued the gun shop. In a gun shop I would never expect to be handed a loaded weapon but I also would not be pointing it carelessly at people and then pull the friggen trigger when it was pointed at me.


  6. #6
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    On My Creek In Roach, Missouri
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    btw....someone was shooting tracer rounds at Scrivner gun range and started one hell of a fire. I shoot at Scrivner often and it is a nice place and well kept:
    http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...ange/81222078/

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Location
    20.5 mm LOTO
    Posts
    2,728
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SummersAtTheLake View Post
    btw....someone was shooting tracer rounds at Scrivner gun range and started one hell of a fire. I shoot at Scrivner often and it is a nice place and well kept:
    http://www.news-leader.com/story/new...ange/81222078/
    One stupid person, can ruin it for everyone....
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Clayton. 3mm LOTO
    My Ride
    Sea-Ray 260
    Posts
    561
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the advice guys. I went with the Glock 23. A little pop to stop an intruder and compact enough to conceal


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    My Ride
    38 Cig & 202 Crownline
    Age
    55
    Posts
    1,937
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by SummersAtTheLake View Post
    Even in a gun shop and even if you are Law Enforcement...this was pretty stupid though and I heard he shot the tip of his finger off and sued the gun shop. In a gun shop I would never expect to be handed a loaded weapon but I also would not be pointing it carelessly at people and then pull the friggen trigger when it was pointed at me.

    Actually happens more than one would like to think getting handed a loaded gun at a gun shop or gun show. Remember it's always loaded
    Hey, watch this!!!

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    On My Creek In Roach, Missouri
    Age
    66
    Posts
    1,706
    Post Thanks / Like
    Not to hijack the thread but since it is going....Like most handgun owners I have several different holsters for each handgun but have always wanted to order one custom built and finally did so last week. I am getting it from Bam Bam Leather and it is for my Sig Sauer P938 SAS and I ordered it on Wednesday of last week and it was built like I wanted it and is in the mail today. Holster, mag holder, and belt was $178.00 delivered and that is hard to beat for a custom build. I'll comment on the rig after I receive it and if anyone is interested Facebook page is:
    https://www.facebook.com/bambamholsters/?fref=ts
    and website is:
    http://www.bambamholsters.com/
    Attached Images Attached Images

  11. #11
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Crescent,IA / Sunrise Beach 24MM
    My Ride
    35 Executioner
    Age
    38
    Posts
    243
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good for you on getting familiar with your weapon. You may even want to look into a training course if they are available in your area. I have been an avid gun owner and hunter all of my life and would like to think I am fairly knowledgeable with guns but a friend of mine brought up taking a handgun class. We went to a place by us called Tactical 88, highly recommend them for anyone in the area, they have classes from beginners to advanced military style type drills. They make you start at the beginners and work your way up. I went in thinking a "beginners" class I wasn't going to learn anything. I couldn't have been more wrong. There was many, many little things from different ways of handling your gun to tactical advantages in certain situations. It was well worth my time and money. I will be going back for some of the more advanced classes. Do some checking around, if they have something like this near you it would be worth looking into.

  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    My Ride
    2003 SR BR 5.0 MPI W/ 2' itis
    Posts
    61
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan51 View Post
    Good for you on getting familiar with your weapon. You may even want to look into a training course if they are available in your area. I have been an avid gun owner and hunter all of my life and would like to think I am fairly knowledgeable with guns but a friend of mine brought up taking a handgun class. We went to a place by us called Tactical 88, highly recommend them for anyone in the area, they have classes from beginners to advanced military style type drills. They make you start at the beginners and work your way up. I went in thinking a "beginners" class I wasn't going to learn anything. I couldn't have been more wrong. There was many, many little things from different ways of handling your gun to tactical advantages in certain situations. It was well worth my time and money. I will be going back for some of the more advanced classes. Do some checking around, if they have something like this near you it would be worth looking into.
    Heard Tactical 88 was opening up a new place by I-80 & Hwy 370. Is that where you went? I need to do the same and get my carry permit.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  13. #13
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    39
    Posts
    6,405
    Post Thanks / Like
    As a point of clarity, dry-firing with nothing in the gun is excellent practice, but only do it on centerfire weapons. Rimfire weapons you can damage the firing mechanism by dry-firing. For rimfire, you should use a snap cap or something similar.

    (I doubt that most people practice with a .22, but just in case...)
    The difference between an average person and a great person is not whether or not they fail, but how they react when they fail. In the worst of times, true men are born.

  14. #14
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    Crescent,IA / Sunrise Beach 24MM
    My Ride
    35 Executioner
    Age
    38
    Posts
    243
    Post Thanks / Like
    I went to the Tekamah location, but the 370 location is owned by the same people. Not sure when the 370 location will be open but I don't think for a while. You won't regret going there. Great group of guys and highly informative.

    Quote Originally Posted by allaboutfun View Post
    Heard Tactical 88 was opening up a new place by I-80 & Hwy 370. Is that where you went? I need to do the same and get my carry permit.

    Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

  15. #15
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Location
    Papillion, NE
    My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Age
    52
    Posts
    6,569
    Post Thanks / Like
    88 Tactical has several instructors that are current or retired OPD SWAT officers.
    They have assisted in training many OPD officers starting from day 1 in the Police Academy to annual training and also ongoing specialized training.

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
MWBP Sponsors









Yellow Pages