Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    My Ride
    2007 Chaparral 276 SSX
    Post Thanks / Like

SWF - Where to stay/what to do....

I know there are a lot of MWBP peeps who either have places in SWF, or regularly visit. I've heard enough good things that the little woman and I are going to drop the kids with granny and spend several days there over New Years doing some investigating of our own for a future SWF home... I'm looking for suggestions of areas to stay in (or away from), and things we should do. I'll likely either VRBO or AirBNB something, as I really don't want to stay in a hotel.. I get enough of that on any given week.

Probably headed south to Marco to visit friends New Years Day, but if there are any good New Years Eve bars/restaurants, etc, I'd love to hear about those too. We arrive at RSW on 12/28, so will have a few days to kill.

Thanks in advance. -P

My Ride
    Sea-Ray 260
    Post Thanks / Like

SWF - Where to stay/what to do....

I can't recommend SWF without recommending Sanibel/Captiva Island. No high rises, no fast food joints, few chains, a huge nature reserve, the best shelling in the country, great restaurants and miles and miles of paved biking/walking trails all close to the Ft Myers nightlife, shopping, and RSW airport.
    It shouldn't be hard to find a rental. most everything rents Friday to Friday.

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Wherever you end up, download Navionics onto your iPad, rent a boat, and explore! I know that in Cape Coral you can rent deck boats pretty cheap and you can do a pretty cool "loop" in a day that includes Matlacha, Bookeelia, Cabbage Key, St James City, Sanibel, Fort Myers Beach, and then back. It is a great way to see allot of water and decide what you like. We also rented boats many times to cruise the canals to see how long it took to "get out", and see what the properties were like from the canal side. A couple of places we liked, but the canal sucked.

Mixing everything together, we ended up in South Cape Coral. CC is a bit of a Mayberry town, but are becoming more progressive. In the entertainment districts the bars are open till 4! The one negative thing about the Cape is that it sees watershed from Lake Okachobee, which sometimes can be pretty crappy. This past year we considered pulling roots because of it, but could not find anywhere that we liked better (once the economics of it was plugged in).

What every you do, have some fun in the sun!

My Ride
    40' & 28 'Skater, Statement CC
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 36Tango View Post
    Wherever you end up, download Navionics onto your iPad, rent a boat, and explore! I know that in Cape Coral you can rent deck boats pretty cheap and you can do a pretty cool "loop" in a day that includes Matlacha, Bookeelia, Cabbage Key, St James City, Sanibel, Fort Myers Beach, and then back. It is a great way to see allot of water and decide what you like. We also rented boats many times to cruise the canals to see how long it took to "get out", and see what the properties were like from the canal side. A couple of places we liked, but the canal sucked.

Mixing everything together, we ended up in South Cape Coral. CC is a bit of a Mayberry town, but are becoming more progressive. In the entertainment districts the bars are open till 4! The one negative thing about the Cape is that it sees watershed from Lake Okachobee, which sometimes can be pretty crappy. This past year we considered pulling roots because of it, but could not find anywhere that we liked better (once the economics of it was plugged in).

What's the next best spot economically? Say between CC and Naples.

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bam View Post
    What's the next best spot economically? Say between CC and Naples.
    What are you looking to do while down there? Things can get pretty cheap if you do not need/want on the water.

My Ride
    40' & 28 'Skater, Statement CC
    Post Thanks / Like
    What are you looking to do while down there? Things can get pretty cheap if you do not need/want on the water.
    go boating.....that's all I do.

My Ride
    Boatless
    Post Thanks / Like

Can you explain more on the watershed from Okachobee issue?
    It's not getting what you want, It's wanting what you've got..

Post Thanks / Like
    Temporary distraction from the thread theme....

"SWF" - I thought this was going to be a lonely Single White Female looking for fun

Ok, return to your regularly scheduled program now.

My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    Fort Myers will have fireworks on New Years Eve..... We did this last year met up with Don D, Jeff and Megan family ..... Be sure to eat at Doc Fords, Nervous Nellies, Fish House, Salty Sam's Marina / Parrot Key .......http://www.myparrotkey.com/home

Gulf Coast Motors .... Very cool cars ..... http://www.gulfcoastmotorworks.com/home
    Life is gooder in retirement !!!! - Endless Summer Live Life !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluefoot View Post
    I know there are a lot of MWBP peeps who either have places in SWF, or regularly visit. I've heard enough good things that the little woman and I are going to drop the kids with granny and spend several days there over New Years doing some investigating of our own for a future SWF home... I'm looking for suggestions of areas to stay in (or away from), and things we should do. I'll likely either VRBO or AirBNB something, as I really don't want to stay in a hotel.. I get enough of that on any given week.

Probably headed south to Marco to visit friends New Years Day, but if there are any good New Years Eve bars/restaurants, etc, I'd love to hear about those too. We arrive at RSW on 12/28, so will have a few days to kill.

Thanks in advance. -P
    All great areas. We have our Ft Myers Offshore run on Friday December 30th to CJ's in Marco. Last year we had over 50 boats

My Ride
    2007 Chaparral 276 SSX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerat View Post
    Fort Myers will have fireworks on New Years Eve..... We did this last year met up with Don D, Jeff and Megan family ..... Be sure to eat at Doc Fords, Nervous Nellies, Fish House, Salty Sam's Marina / Parrot Key .......http://www.myparrotkey.com/home

Gulf Coast Motors .... Very cool cars ..... http://www.gulfcoastmotorworks.com/home
    This was very helpful... I booked a little cottage on Ft. Myers Beach... so this is pretty much all within walking ... ok, stumbling distance.

My Ride
    2007 Chaparral 276 SSX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by tax man View Post
    All great areas. We have our Ft Myers Offshore run on Friday December 30th to CJ's in Marco. Last year we had over 50 boats
    Sounds like fun... let me know if you need another deckhand...

My Ride
    2018 Lip-Ship 39 GTS 3x400
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just had my Cig 20 hauled down to FMB - can't wait to get back and unleash the little beast down there...the cool thing about the west coast is the smooth water. Plenty of places to beach up and chill. The state park (Lover's Key) is great for back water activities.
    Tommy Gun

My Ride
    312 Formula Fastech
    Post Thanks / Like
    We also did Fort Myers Beach for NYE last year. It was amazing, Japanese lanterns we launched from the beach all night long. An awesome band played in Times Square and the fireworks at midnight were spectacular.

We rented a house for the week in Fort Myers. It was located about 15 minutes from the beach in a residential neighborhood. It had 4 bedrooms and a pool. It was huge and perfect for the family and only about $1300 for the week. We did decide that if we did Fort Myers again we would stay on Fort Myers beach as it seemed that was where we always ended up.

This year we decided to go to Anna Marie Island near Tampa which has a major airport for ease of transportation. We rented a small 2 bedroom condo across from the beach for 8 nights including New Years. I'm hoping is will be good but Fort Myers Beach will be hard to beat!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisO View Post
    Can you explain more on the watershed from Okachobee issue?
    X2 - 36Tango this would be real helpful - I'm sure we could research, but it would be great to have your first-hand knowledge. We will likely move to Florida in next few years - this is exactly the type of info we need. Thanks!