Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like

School me on Spoonbill

My FIL wants to go this year. He's got some offshore fishing reels, 80 and 100# line, 2 6' and 2 7' heavy action rods and is making a rod holder for the back of his Stingray fish and ski combo boat.

We just drive around and hope for the best?
    How far up the MMs on the Osage do we need to go?
    Are the other arms good too?

He's been watching some videos and stuff but I really don't know what we are doing at all, so all info is appreciated.

My Ride
    36 Sprecte, 28 Donzi ZX
    Post Thanks / Like
    My brother usually does pretty good around the 49-50mm. He basically just trolls around and pulls the rod back and forth (up and down). (Snagging motion).
    He uses some pretty big rods with 80-100# test, I believe.
    He ties 2 or 3 big treble hooks on the end of the line, about 2 - 3 feet apart, I believe.

We've had a pretty good time doing it. I've snagged one before, it's fun.
    Last edited by Amber; 01-11-2017 at 09:36 AM.
    "Well behaved women rarely make history" -Laurel Thatcher Ulrich

My Ride
    1992 24' baja outlaw whippled
    Post Thanks / Like
    Early in the season the lower mile markers are much better as the season progresses further up is better, the furthest up river you can legally snag is the 65 highway bridge at the 89

120 pound test short heavy duty pole 16 ounce weight 2 trebbiles about a foot or so apart, about foot from the weight. And make sure you have a gaf to pull them in with. Make sure you have plenty of weights and hooks you will go through a bunch.

Post Thanks / Like
    I see a lot of people snagging on the BN from about the 10mm to the mouth of the little niangua. Seems like a lot of work so never tried myself but I bet its fun when you do snag one.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like
    I see them frequently during the summer jumping out of the water.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by qakman View Post
    I see them frequently during the summer jumping out of the water.
    Yeah, the thought of one jumping up in front of a jetski at 50MPH is unnerving.

My Ride
    2013 SeaArk "Big Easy"
    Post Thanks / Like
    Use your sonar and down image to find them and then just troll back over them, they should be schooled up along the river channel and huge arches on the graph. I'm going to try using the dipsy divers this year, seems to work pretty good for these guys https://youtu.be/iVIzNxV069A
    ~Livinglife2~
    ~Marcus & Tammy~

Post Thanks / Like
    My dad and I would go every year until the last two or three in the latter half of April. Depending on water temps and flow from the spring rains we would normally "fish" / "guess" / "snag" for them around the 80MM and up (sometimes lower if temps/flow were low.)

Your FIL seems to know what he's doing or has done the research as he's on the right track with equipment. As others have said, tie a 16oz weight on the end of the line, come up 2 ft (some go more or less . . . I find if you place a hook much less than 24" you're going to get hung more often and lose sinkers and hooks) and add a 10# treble hook, go up another 1.5' - 2' and add another hook. Drop it over the side and troll around hoping for the best. It's a lot of work but when you snag a 60 - 80 lb fish in the side and it takes off it's also a lot of fun. They'll normally fight for a few minutes and then wear out quickly and come up like a log. The gaff is def good to get the bigger ones in the boat as they'll obviously flip around and try to go back down when they hit the top of the water.

Because of the short season (Mid-March till the end of April I believe) and depending on when you go, there will likely be TONS of boats idling up and down the channel so you can watch and figure it out pretty quickly. The small locally owned resorts up that way will be absolutely packed that time of year on the weekends. Not sure if they still do it but, in the past, the MDC normally gave a weekly snagging report that was updated Monday or Tuesday of each week reporting on the weekend prior, if the fish are moving upstream, etc.

Post Thanks / Like
    We gave it a whirl on spring break, tried the pulling method but the guy we were with basically just trolled up and down going around 5 - 6 mph. We got our limit in about 4 hours but we were with a very experienced guide and up in the Warsaw area. First time in that area so it was cool just to be up that high in the mile markers.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks again for the info so far. We are going the weekend of the 8th. He's got all the equipment setup at this point so now it's just up to me to know where we should go for sure.
    Anyone know if we'd have any luck on the GG?
    Aside from that GG thought, I'm going to start looking into boat ramps up in the 80+MM area.

My Ride
    34 Superboat
    Post Thanks / Like
    Take a look at Wigwam public ramp , it's south of the 80 mm but might be usable

Post Thanks / Like
    Here's the link to MDC's snagging update page: https://huntfish.mdc.mo.gov/fishing/...and-advisories

Post Thanks / Like
    Most of the boats I noticed put in at Warsaw and ran back towards the Lake. Not far from Warsaw only a couple miles running up and down that section of the Lake. I never think of the Lake as a river but in that area I guess you would say running down river.

My Ride
    1992 24' baja outlaw whippled
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pain in the Buoy View Post
    Most of the boats I noticed put in at Warsaw and ran back towards the Lake. Not far from Warsaw only a couple miles running up and down that section of the Lake. I never think of the Lake as a river but in that area I guess you would say running down river.
    It is the lake! Snagging is legal below the 65 highway bridge