My Ride
    '97 Advantage 270BR
    Post Thanks / Like

Amp switching to protected mode

I have a pa d5000.5 that recently started to go into protected mode. It was working all day on Saturday until I paused it to talk with some friends. I tried to unpause it about 10 min later and it went into protected mode. If I turn it off, it might play for a few seconds, then goes to protected mode again. I have disconnected all wires from the amp other then the power, ground and remote line and it still goes into protected mode. I didn't have a volt meter to check the power coming from the battery, but that will be my next step. If that looks ok is there anyone in the osage beach area that works on amps? Is it even worth getting it looked at? I can buy the same amp new for about $300.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

My Ride
    3350 Regal
    Post Thanks / Like
    It sounds like it is getting hot.

Our amps used to get hot then I changed them to Alpine PDX digital amps and they run much cooler. Never had one turn off due to heat and they are enclosed in an un-ventilated cabinet in the mid-cuddy.

My Ride
    '97 Advantage 270BR
    Post Thanks / Like
    I thought of that too, but it even did it in the early am the next day and it wasn't hot.

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would start by checking voltage getting to the amp.
    I have PDX amps and if the battery is low, they only put out about 10% of sound.

My Ride
    Intrepid, Formula, Cigarette
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    I would start by checking voltage getting to the amp.
    I have PDX amps and if the battery is low, they only put out about 10% of sound.
    Griff has it again.

Was replacing batteries in my cig Sunday after trying to track down stereo problems, low voltage plays havoc with amps.

With new batteries I got my expensive WW stereo back to peak preformance again.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

My Ride
    '97 Advantage 270BR
    Post Thanks / Like
    I did move the power line to a new battery that I bought this year, but I didn't move the ground which I don't think that would matter

My Ride
    '97 Advantage 270BR
    Post Thanks / Like
    I will be heading to the lake this weekend to check the volts, but assuming that checks out what do you guys think I should get, another 5 channel amp or a 4 channel and a mono? I don't remember the exact model, but the speakers are Polk audio. I looked them up awhile back and i belive the 5 1/2's were 60 rms max and the 6x9's were 120. I have 4 of each, I believe there is one of each per channel currently but I could be wrong as the previous owner did all of this. I also have 3 10" svc subs with a max of 270 rms each. They are wired now to run at 2.7ohms. If I was going to get the same amp I have now, but thought I might be over heating it. It's a Polk audio d5000.5, 70 rms/channel + 500rms for the subs.

My Ride
    '97 Advantage 270BR
    Post Thanks / Like
    For those who are interested, the issue ended up being a bad amp. I went to Waves & Wheels and worked with Justin to get two new arc amps. a 450.4 and a 1100.1. Immediately after installing the amps i could tell a big difference in the clarity of the sound. i'm not sure if it was actually the amps or just the joy that they actually worked without cutting out.While i was in there Justin was showing me his new bluave speakers. those things sounded amazing. i highly recommend them to anyone that is in the market for new speakers.

My Ride
    "Stress Eliminator" 36 Daytona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Glad to hear you got it figured out. Justin and his crew are. Nice group. I've heard the Bluaves and will likely be getting a setup

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Summer time is Happy time