Thread: Deer are a PITA

Post Thanks / Like

Deer are a PITA

Here is the scenario: living in the city limits, just off the lake, wooded lots and large area where the deer are populating like mice. (We have 2-3 packs of 10-20 deer roaming the neighborhood constantly) They are eating everything "landscape" especially fruit tree's, any type of flowering bush and decorative grass. I swear to god, we might as well put a sign in our yard for them that says, "Royal Buffet". If you haven't already figured out, they are winning...

We have tried every type of repellent we can think of, including pet hair, store sprays, "BobEx" commercial spray, coffee grounds, Dogs (Well at least when they don't all decide to play together) and just old fashioned "Git outta Here!" They are way too tame, literally we were talking with our neighbors the other day in our driveway, when one of the does comes up and starts eating on one of my trees, seriously not 25 ft from us. Damn.... I was not happy! They have absolutely no fear of humans, cars, etc...

So here is my next thought? I can't kill them (I am not a hunter besides were in the city) don't really want to hurt them (at least not forever) I am thinking paint ball or air soft? My goal is to send them a message, put them towards the neighbors (back into the woods) and not want them to even want to think about my yard? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

We all agree they are great to look at, wonderful to feel like it is part of nature, and the fawns, are just crazy cute, but.....

If you are a animal rights person, you need not apply.... Unless you want to donate to us for replacing all our landscape!
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hey Neighbor ..... I guess I should stop feeding them from the car ??
    Life is gooder in retirement !!!! - Endless Summer Live Life !!!

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerat View Post
    Hey Neighbor ..... I guess I should stop feeding them from the car ??
    Feed them all, LOTS, just by the back garages YOU guys have. So they stay over there by you!
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

Post Thanks / Like
    They love my hostas and eat them to the ground. I recently hung one of the fluorescent bug lights. Working pretty good so far. The crackling sound of the bugs frying scares the deer and also the dogs. Only time will tell if they get use to it.

Post Thanks / Like
    They aren't cute to us anymore. My wife won't eat deer so the kids and I can only consume one per year.
    Driving to our place on any evening you will see 15-25 doe's and maybe one juvenile buck within a mile of lake road. Major overpopulation along many lake roads. MDC has been called but to my knowledge nothing has been done or even considered being done.
    My guess is that eventually they will become diseased or the sheer numbers of deer will attract cougars and then we'll have THAT to deal with.

My Ride
    Mariah 302Z
    Post Thanks / Like
    My wife read that they can't stand the Oder/perfume smell of Irish spring soap. We bought an eight pack from Walmart, took a razor knife and made a rather large pile of shavings and sprinkled around the flowers and hostas. been about a month now and seems to have worked well.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by zdatzkc View Post
    My wife read that they can't stand the Oder/perfume smell of Irish spring soap. We bought an eight pack from Walmart, took a razor knife and made a rather large pile of shavings and sprinkled around the flowers and hostas. been about a month now and seems to have worked well.
    That didn't work for us. We put the shavings in little cheesecloth bags and hung them all around the plants and flowers. Had no effect at all.

I threw my dogs tennis ball at one and just barely missed its butt. I guess it thought I was giving it an apple because it went over to the ball, sniffed it, then looked up at me as if to say "I can't eat this you idiot".
    They are like a group of smartass lawyers, they know we can't legally do anything to stop them.
    We can legally kill them on the road though. Have seriously considered putting a heavy brush guard on my truck and just not trying to avoid hitting them on the road anymore.

My Ride
    226 Cobalt
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have the same problem, not as bad and not at the lake. I shoot them in the butt with a pump BB gun and they leave the yard but they come back. My dog will chase them out but they come back. The paint ball gun is a good idea to mark them and see if the same deer are coming to visit. I was on the riding mower in my back yard and 7 were in my neighbors yard just laying there watching me. They have no fear and the only predators are the vehicles

Post Thanks / Like
    I need a better BB Gun, Shot one the other night, he took about 6 steps and turned around and started licking where he was hit, turned around and started eating again. Untill we get more rain, I guess we are just going to have to try and chase them away, In the last coupe of weeks, they must be catching on, they have figured out our schedules as well and only seem to show up to dine when we are gone or the middle of the night.

NOTE: We also noticed the motion lights, have done nothing too help.
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

My Ride
    American Curls
    Post Thanks / Like
    https://www.domestify.com/products/b...iABEgJnNvD_BwE

This is a motion sensor activated sprinkler head. Would it work?
    Whats next?

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by the bear View Post
    https://www.domestify.com/products/b...iABEgJnNvD_BwE

This is a motion sensor activated sprinkler head. Would it work?
    Worth a try, just ordered...
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

My Ride
    .38 Special
    Post Thanks / Like
    The only thing that has worked for me is the motion activated sprinkler head. I have tried several of the "deer away " products. I've tried the motion activated sound machine too...
    Don Dusselier
    10 MM LOTO