Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Smokin Bones BBQ

Wife and I went there Saturday. We went shortly after they opened and, well service wasn't the best although the food was good. Figured we'd give it another try. Food was excellent and service was good. Sad part very few were in there. Barely making it I believe. If you've written it give it another chance.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am sorry if this sounds negative. But, been there 3 times since they opened. They are not making it because it is mediocre at best. Hasn't gotten any worse, but hasn't gotten any better either. The service has always been fair. Although the food was OK, wasn't in my opinion worth the drive over. For us we have to add the cost of the bridge to the dinner. If we could be told there was improvements, we would be willing to try it again. Please let us know if that happens.

I would recommend everyone make there own decision!
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

My Ride
    IMP 310 Viper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Where is it?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "NEW DOCKS IN THE WATER READY FOR DELIVERY @51 MM"

Owner: Roger Leas
    www.dbdocks.com
    573-280-1829
    573-347-2327

My Ride
    25 TT Neptoon
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dockman View Post
    Where is it?

In Laurie on the left before Chances R (going north). I believe it is where Dena's used to be?
    What happens at the lake, stays at the lake. Unless I have a camera handy.

My Ride
    IMP 310 Viper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Ok I know where it is! Next time I am that way Iíll check it out

www.dbdocks.com
    573-280-1829
    573-347-2327

Glenwood, IA/10mm Spring Cove/Poplar Bluff, MO
    Post Thanks / Like
    We've been there 3 times. No complaints on the food and prices were right. Always sat at the bar and haven't stepped foot in the restaurant side.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
    "You can fall many times in life...But you're never a failure as long as you try to get up!" - Evel Knievel

My Ride
    Old 25' Eliminator Daytona
    Post Thanks / Like
    Closed
    Retirement is Hell but somebodies got to do it

Post Thanks / Like
    Seems like a new restaurant opens every other week on the west side...and another goes out of business at the same pace.

Post Thanks / Like
    My in-laws are the worst nit-picking critics of all time, and whenever a new place opens up they break their legs getting there so they can report to us what a shithole it is. "The food is always sub-standard, the waitress is always snotty and either has offensive tattoos or gross fingernails".... it's always something.

We always go to new places after they've had a bit of time to smooth everything out ..... and are seldom if ever disappointed like the inlaws always are.

On the rare occasion that they actually like a place and get served some good food.....it never fails that they'll go back in a week or two and that experience won't equal the first. Then it's...."We'll never go back to that shithole again".

The kids and I have a running joke everytime we leave their place after a holiday dinner ..... "Damn the baked beans were watery, the pumpkin pie was soupy, the ham was undercooked, ect. We'll never go back to that shithole again".

Post Thanks / Like
    And you point is what?

I think it is only fair to give a true critique after 2-3 times minimum. It takes a LOT for me to write off a place after 2, but by the third, my mind is generally made up. That being said, there are places that transition, the longer they are open, the better the chance it is to make it. I guess I am just an optimist.

I applaud everyone that tries to open their own business, I know first hand how hard it is to make it. I just wish, those that do, learn as much as they can from those that don't make it. Study as much about failure as they can, because those are the things you want to stay away from. The other thing is never get complacent. Again, I know first hand, once you do, something always changes that puts a spin on things. ALL this while staying motivated and optimistic for the future...

Hopefully the people that had that business will learn what went wrong and can change it for the better the next time around...
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

My Ride
    IMP 310 Viper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaholic View Post
    And you point is what?

I think it is only fair to give a true critique after 2-3 times minimum. It takes a LOT for me to write off a place after 2, but by the third, my mind is generally made up. That being said, there are places that transition, the longer they are open, the better the chance it is to make it. I guess I am just an optimist.

I applaud everyone that tries to open their own business, I know first hand how hard it is to make it. I just wish, those that do, learn as much as they can from those that don't make it. Study as much about failure as they can, because those are the things you want to stay away from. The other thing is never get complacent. Again, I know first hand, once you do, something always changes that puts a spin on things. ALL this while staying motivated and optimistic for the future...

Hopefully the people that had that business will learn what went wrong and can change it for the better the next time around...
    I agree with giving a new place 2-3 chances before judging. However not a well established place that (IMO) over charge. I have 2 restaurants here at the lake that both have very good reviews that I will never go back to. Reason is if your going to charge them prices DO NOT over cook my steak. My wife disagrees with me but I feel with them prices it should be right and no I wonít be back.

www.dbdocks.com
    573-280-1829
    573-347-2327

Austin Lake Travis / LOTO on the Gravois Arm
    My Ride
    02 Nordic Heat/13 BassCat Puma
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's unfortunate when one of our lake area small businesses fails. As mentioned earlier, hopefully there's actionable learning in all of it. I'd been to SB 3-4 times, and each time left significantly underwhelmed with the service and the food...and overall value. The location isn't too bad, in fact I kind of like the room and setting there with the attached bar. Hopefully someone will pick that place up and bring something sustainable.

My Ride
    03 38' PP & 00 380 Sundancer
    Post Thanks / Like
    So they opened in July or August and it's September and they are closed already. Did they actually think they were going to be turning a profit in less than 3 months ? When I opened my business is 1984 it took 2 1/2 years before I had my first profitable month. It takes time to build a business. 34 years later I'm still in business and planning for the next chapter in my life. It sounds to me like a definite lack of working capital. I was always told you should have enough working capital to sustain the first 2 years with moderate losses.
    Because there is "No Life Like It"

My Ride
    340 Sea Ray
    Post Thanks / Like
    It seems like new restaurant people are hard headed. They open up and stay the course no matter what. If I opened one, I would walk the floor and talk to every customer and get feedback from them. If things were not going well, I would make changes even if I did not agree with the criticism.

My Ride
    Chaparral 256ssi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by JMS View Post
    So they opened in July or August and it's September and they are closed already. Did they actually think they were going to be turning a profit in less than 3 months ? When I opened my business is 1984 it took 2 1/2 years before I had my first profitable month. It takes time to build a business. 34 years later I'm still in business and planning for the next chapter in my life. It sounds to me like a definite lack of working capital. I was always told you should have enough working capital to sustain the first 2 years with moderate losses.
    I think they opened earlier than that, maybe even last year? But I agree with you. I went by many times and intended to stop but never saw more than a car or two in the parking lot.