Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Snow

Post Thanks / Like

Snow

Weather man said 5-10" of snow in lake area this weekend, which I know isn't accurate, but just curious how much snow it takes to start wreaking havoc on docks?

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Chaparral 256ssi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Seems to me it depends a lot on how heavy (wet) the snow is. Ice is worst. Most docks should be able to support quite a bit of normal weight snow. Heavy wet snow, ice, or rain on top of snow is a different story and could be a problem. Anything over 20 lbs per square foot would start concerning me. That equates to about 4” of water content which would be 4” of ice or very very heavy wet snow but could be up to 2’ of normal snow. Drifting, or snow on one side of dock roof but not the other can also be an issue. There is also a huge difference on how docks at the lake are constructed, I’m referring to a well constructed newer dock with adequate flotation.

My Ride
    IMP 310 Viper
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickb View Post
    Seems to me it depends a lot on how heavy (wet) the snow is. Ice is worst. Most docks should be able to support quite a bit of normal weight snow. Heavy wet snow, ice, or rain on top of snow is a different story and could be a problem. Anything over 20 lbs per square foot would start concerning me. That equates to about 4Ē of water content which would be 4Ē of ice or very very heavy wet snow but could be up to 2í of normal snow. Drifting, or snow on one side of dock roof but not the other can also be an issue. There is also a huge difference on how docks at the lake are constructed, Iím referring to a well constructed newer dock with adequate flotation.
    Well put! 2006 Pretty much wiped out all the real junk. Donít get me wrong there are still lots of dock without proper flotation that may get in trouble with 10Ē of wet snow. I am not expecting any issues with this storm but hey it is Missouri.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "NEW DOCKS IN THE WATER READY FOR DELIVERY @51 MM"

Owner: Roger Leas
    www.dbdocks.com
    573-280-1829
    573-347-2327

Post Thanks / Like
    This is my memory of the 2006 storm. Any dock that was not encapsulated had issues. And the docks that had a NE facing roof accumulated lots of sleet on that side of the roof and many of those just flipped. Further some of the big docks pushed the big boats tide to the docks below their water lines and as those boats took on water they took the docks down with them. With that being said it was a near perfect storm for that damage. As Dockman said that storm took care a lot of the "bad" docks.

Some eight years ago we had over 20 inches of snow and there was very little damage. It all comes down to water content. That 2006 storm had a lot of sleet with it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Yes, back in December of 2006 we had 2" of ice and 15" of snow. When the marina and condo dock were rebuilt beside the encapsulated foam the also installed cross bracing.
    https://www.ibinews.com/home/us-snow...-GDrKpmnDHp_YI

Moorings Yacht Club
    Attached Images Attached Images

Post Thanks / Like
    Yep, we bought our little house in the Fall of 2006. That Winter we discovered the weak links in the cottage and on the dock.

Hope all stay safe and warm.
    *waving from 'God Bless Texas' wet and near freezing*

Post Thanks / Like
    Not to bad here at the 8mm. Seems like we got more wet and slush so we didnít get the build up of snow that other areas got. Some ice and snow on the dock roof, but not too bad.

My Ride
    Crownline 285ss
    Post Thanks / Like
    I wish I was sitting at the Lake watching this winter storm. I spent 5+ hours on west bound I-64, coming home last night (which normally take me 35mins). I watched as 3+ inches of snow accumulated on the cars around me while we sat.

I passed the time imagining what it looked like there.
    Deadrise & Derailleurs
    2014 Crownline 285ss
    The Best Medicine

My Ride
    Powerquest 380 Avenger
    Post Thanks / Like
    While considering Dock modifications, buying a used one and making my own I wondered why the roofs on these docks are so flat. It doesn’t seem that there is much of a cost savings by going with a 12-1 pitch. Just a little more pitch seems like would help with this. Why is the pitch so small on most of these docks?

Edit. Should have said 1/12. But you get the point
    If stupid could fly, you'd be a Jet!

My Ride
    25 TT Neptoon
    Post Thanks / Like
    never mind
    What happens at the lake, stays at the lake. Unless I have a camera handy.

My Ride
    Chaparral 256ssi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fatboy View Post
    While considering Dock modifications, buying a used one and making my own I wondered why the roofs on these docks are so flat. It doesn’t seem that there is much of a cost savings by going with a 12-1 pitch. Just a little more pitch seems like would help with this. Why is the pitch so small on most of these docks?
    What would more pitch do for you, other than block your view of the lake? Unless it was steep enough that the snow slid off, which is unlikely since it is unheated underneath, all it would do is catch more wind.

My Ride
    Powerquest 380 Avenger
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickb View Post
    What would more pitch do for you, other than block your view of the lake? Unless it was steep enough that the snow slid off, which is unlikely since it is unheated underneath, all it would do is catch more wind.
    It would have to be very tall to block my view. Are you suggesting that more slope wouldn’t help with freezing rain/ice accumulation?

My Ride
    Chaparral 256ssi
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja Fatboy View Post
    It would have to be very tall to block my view. Are you suggesting that more slope wouldn’t help with freezing rain/ice accumulation?
    I guess you can build your dock however you want, good luck.

Post Thanks / Like
    During snowpocolypse of 1995 I sat and watched docks go down one after the other. Typically one side would slide off....then the excessive weight on the opposite side would flip the dock asshole over elbow. So the pitch isn't going to matter unless both sides slide off simultaneously.

I had a rickety old wooden dock with a mixture of white pink and blue foam under it, and amazingly that thing lived through it.

My Ride
    Powerquest 380 Avenger
    Post Thanks / Like
    So while Rick’s responses where so insightful why is the pitch so minimal on the docks?

Roger can you offer some insight? Wrench brings up an interesting point. If one side slides off and the other doesn’t I could see a flip potential but I’d think unlikely unless the floatation is subpar to start with.