Thread: New to me truck

Post Thanks / Like

New to me truck

I rarely get myself a newer vehicle. I drive my old one as near to 300,000 miles as I can.

Well I'm almost there, so I am looking at trucks with some pulling power to help pull my bbq trailer. As of now my Chevy 1500 can handle it well, but not amazing. It bogs some on hills.

I am looking at a 2016 Toyota Tundra with a 5.7 liter. I've had many say it has plenty of towing power and they are great trucks.
    I just want to get some outside opinions.

Thanks in Advance.

Post Thanks / Like
    Great truck, just dont expect gas mileage from Toyota.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by hughey View Post
    Great truck, just dont expect gas mileage from Toyota.

Thank You!

Post Thanks / Like
    I don't think there is a "Bad" vehicle made anymore. If there was they would not be in business very long. That being said, Make sure you drive it and feel comfortable that it meets your needs.

Another thought: many of the rental companies ie: Hertz,Enterprise, etc. Have trucks that are available to rent. I have always felt it is worth the 1 days rental to drive it for a few hours when the emotion of a new vehicle can be overcome. PLUS it will give you an idea how the vehicle is holding up after a few thousand or more miles. This is the real tell tale sign.
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

Post Thanks / Like
    Thank You, Great Advice. I drove the Tundra, and It wasn't what I thought it was. At least not that base model. Brother in law has one and I love it. Nice and Roomy. This one was not.

Question
    I saw a local here in Iowa has a Ford F150 FX4. Owner says it will pull 12,500 pounds compared to the regular 1/2 tone. How is that possible? It has 3.5 V-6 Twin Turbo, 365 horse. I don't get how a V-6 could pull something 12,000 pounds...

Quote Originally Posted by bajaholic View Post
    I don't think there is a "Bad" vehicle made anymore. If there was they would not be in business very long. That being said, Make sure you drive it and feel comfortable that it meets your needs.

Another thought: many of the rental companies ie: Hertz,Enterprise, etc. Have trucks that are available to rent. I have always felt it is worth the 1 days rental to drive it for a few hours when the emotion of a new vehicle can be overcome. PLUS it will give you an idea how the vehicle is holding up after a few thousand or more miles. This is the real tell tale sign.

Post Thanks / Like
    some of the trucks are offered in a club cab and crew cab models. crew is the roomier one.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seiowan View Post
    Thank You, Great Advice. I drove the Tundra, and It wasn't what I thought it was. At least not that base model. Brother in law has one and I love it. Nice and Roomy. This one was not.

Question
    I saw a local here in Iowa has a Ford F150 FX4. Owner says it will pull 12,500 pounds compared to the regular 1/2 tone. How is that possible? It has 3.5 V-6 Twin Turbo, 365 horse. I don't get how a V-6 could pull something 12,000 pounds...
    You realize that is opening a HUGE door to make a joke about Darr

Anyway, I am thinking it is likely the same as the Chev: 1500HD, 2500HD or the 3500 HD The standard 1500 etc, but upgraded with upgraded with just different springs in the back.

You can pull basically anything with any truck these days as far as power,(The v6's are over 300+hp) the difference in the trucks will be in stopping and how much you want to hear the thing shift to keep it in the power band.
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by seiowan View Post

Question
    The F150 Ecoboost has virtually the same HP and Torque numbers as my 8100 vortec in my 2500HD. It has the power, but my feeling is it needs more suspension and brakes to pull more than about 8k.

My Ride
    Apache Brave
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    The F150 Ecoboost has virtually the same HP and Torque numbers as my 8100 vortec in my 2500HD. It has the power, but my feeling is it needs more suspension and brakes to pull more than about 8k.
    I towed my 28 Apache with a F150 Ecoboost the motor was fine. Even with my trailer having great breaks I would not tow in the rain. Griff is correct the suspension and brakes are the issue. I also avoided steep ramps for backing down. We ended up going with a F350 diesel again.

My Ride
    FORMULA FASTECH
    Post Thanks / Like
    I tow my 312 Fastech with a 420 hp 6.2 V8 1/2 ton Crew 4x4 Chevy with no problem...
    3 axles on the trailer helps!

My Ride
    FORMULA FASTECH
    Post Thanks / Like
    Brakes on 2 axles too...