My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like

Reverse Seared Ribeye

Anyone cook this way?
    I keep seeing people talk about this online so I gave it spin. People say it's the best way to cook second only to sous vide.

3/4" ribeye
    Seasoned to taste - Everyone says to use more salt than you think you should. I did and this was way, WAY too much. The Famous Dave's seasoning is good though
    Cover and refrigerate - I did 4 hours but I'd do more if I had it
    Bake at 225 until the internal temperature reaches 120 if you are headed for medium rare - took 35 minutes on these
    Heat butter and oil (butter tastes better but oil has a higher smoke point) in cast iron over fire if possible
    Sear 1 minute each side
    Rest 5 minutes, the temperature will continue to climb. I somehow absolutely nailed mine and they peaked at 135, which is perfect medium rare.
    Profit

Served with roasted broccoli and tots with yum yum sauce. 4204 is one of my current favorite breweries.. all the beers are just super drinkable.

For hitting the temp and texture spot on, I would recommend this. There's certainly no way to get a crust like this over a direct flame. Ultimately, the wife and I agree that we miss the richness of the grill flavor and smoking up the kitchen is a negative. Fun for something to do.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    Envision 2900 combo
    Post Thanks / Like
    I do this all the time. It works great on thick chops and loin also.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Good to know! I did some chops the day after those steaks but did them the other way around, sear then bake... I overcooked them. I'll do it the reverse way next time.

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Never tried doing the reverse. I usually just use the skillet with oil on high heat with a glass cover. Salt only first and then 1.5 minutes per side. Then reduce to medium heat, add seasoning and another 1.5 minutes or so on each side. Adding the seasoning later and at lower heat keeps the seasoning from getting burned. Usually gets them to right around medium.

My Ride
    Mariah 302Z
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for the tips and the excellent pics.

My Ride
    Intrepid, Formula, Cigarette
    Post Thanks / Like
    This is great. I have been a die-hard grill guy but have rules against grills at my Florida home so have to experiment with pan cooking. Have gotten pretty good at the normal pan sear but this looks better.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

My Ride
    2002 baja 33 outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Did this last night with a couple bacon wrapped filets. With the exception of the smoke detectors going off ( during the sear process)they turned out great

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Hah, yeah the smoke sucks when there's fat involved. Next up on my kitchen improvement list is a real ventilation system.

Post Thanks / Like
    Thanks for sharing. Not sure I can bring myself to do it yet, but still good to know.

Post Thanks / Like
    Now, that's mouthwatering!

By the way, new guy here as well. Whenever I’m taking a break from this particular interest, I’m usually found at home, feeding my Pomeranian with some treats and watching TV with my wife. And when we’re not indoors, we would play catch in our backyard with our dog (though we had to secure one of those pet safe Stay+Play wireless dog fence, just so he wouldn’t stray far from our yard. Our neighbor had a weak wooden partition, and we once had an argument when the poor fella ended up on his lawn). Such a simple, yet, happy life. Cheers!