Thread: dock furniture

My Ride
    360 Cobalt
    Post Thanks / Like

dock furniture

We just ordered a new outside couch for our dock.

My quesiton is, do these tend to end up in the water? Or cause other problems?? Maybe they are not useful???

I constantly drive around looking at docks to get ideas and basically never see them. Wicker or even the new faux wicker is not super cheap, but even docks with a million dollars on it seem to not have them.

Just wondering what others thoughts are on this.

I plan to put the cushions away when we leave the house & may even fasten the couch to the dock.

Thank you.

Post Thanks / Like
    They look nice, are comfortable and give a nice "style" to your outside enjoyment area. Only problem is they weigh basically nothing. The chances of them surviving a good wind or substantial dock movement is questionable? When storms roll through, it is amazing the wind that is created across the lake and into the coves....

That being said, Some type of anchoring system (Cable attached with I-bolt underneath to dock) would certainly minimize that issue. I would also recommend if you are leaving for a period of time remove them from the dock and secure them until you get back.
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    We leave our furniture on the dock and have never had a problem. I do have them tethered to a post, but I do not think that they have ever moved. We did order covers for them (pretty cheap), so they are always clean and ready to use. If you spend allot of time on your dock, I don’t think that you would regret buying them.

My Ride
    297 SSX
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a wicker couch like you mention on the dock and have never had an issue during storms, I do move it close to our bar and put the coffee table on it while away just to be safe.

Here's where it is and gets straight west winds which is how most storms roll in our cove:

IMG_0258.jpg

On another note, we need to revive Zombie's dock bar tour a weekday this summer and hop to members' docks and check/compare!

I got great ideas from that thread when building both dock bars I've had so far.
    Last edited by mvlevy; 04-22-2019 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Image

Post Thanks / Like
    My next-door neighbors discovered that their fiberglass dock box was missing, and asked me if I had seen any activity around their dock. This was days after a bad storm, and I thought that perhaps it might have blown off the dock. At my suggestion, they called a diver and, sure enough, it was at the bottom of the lake. I gave them a concrete block to place inside of the box, and that solved the problem. I would think that if a dock box can be blown off, a lightweight couch that catches the wind could be, too.

If there's a way to simply put a concrete block beneath the couch and strap the couch to it (as unobtrusively as you can), you'll get some inexpensive peace of mind.

Post Thanks / Like
    We push all of our furniture together and run a rope around it and tie it to a dock pole and never had a problem. Neighbors don't do this and have had multiple items blow in the lake when their gone.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

My Ride
    360 Cobalt
    Post Thanks / Like
    Thank you for the responses and great dock picture.

Post Thanks / Like
    We have a sectional outdoor sofa. For all of the furniture on the dock, I installed surface mount loops and drilled them into the concrete under the center of each item and have them secured with cable through the loop so they don't go anywhere. On Lowes's site check out "SmartStraps Mount D-Ring".

Post Thanks / Like
    Anything left on the dock is at risk to ending in the lake. Whe only use wrought iron, you can paint it any color you want. When we leave I push it next to a roof pole and tie it all together. Do that as well if storms are coming. On Sunday boated by a lounger cushion in the channel. Someone is buying a new cushion.

Austin Lake Travis / LOTO on the Gravois Arm
    My Ride
    02 Nordic Heat/13 BassCat Puma
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a tie-down ritual that I follow when storms are likely, or when we're away for extended periods.
    It's a PITA, but the benefits of having some dock furniture to enjoy far outweigh having none.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by mvlevy View Post
    On another note, we need to revive Zombie's dock bar tour a weekday this summer and hop to members' docks and check/compare!

I got great ideas from that thread when building both dock bars I've had so far.
    That is a great idea!
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations