Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    My Ride
    Triton SF-21
    Post Thanks / Like

Standing Rock Cove No Wake

I heard that Standing Rock cove (Bulldogs, Chesnie's Cafe Red Oak Resort) is going no wake from the main channel back starting this Thursday. Anyone else heard that?

My Ride
    340 Mach 1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Just asked a buddy of mine that lives at the entrance to the cove and he said it is true and done already.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Landau 2700
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have heard this also. However as a property owner in the cove who received no notice of a petition or meeting (along with many others not notified that I have personally asked) I believe this will be challenged by several in the cove.... Also I believe the size of the cove mouth measurements, according to new legislation from June 2018, is only available to limit wakes for vessel over 40'

Post Thanks / Like
    The old no wake buoys were confusing for a lot of people. I always considered it no wake from the gas dock all the way back to Chesnie's out of courtesy for others but some like to plow by Chesnie's and cause chaos with boats tied up, even though it was legal.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    It’s a done deal and permitted by the water patrol. They had the meeting on May 13th with 90% approval in favor of it from property owners.

Post Thanks / Like
    This has nothing to do with legislation from 2018, this is a permitted no wake cove now. They had 90% percent approval and full support of water patrol. I live at the mouth of the cove and had mixed feeling about it but people just don’t seem to respect anyone’s property anymore. I have spent 12k in last 3 years on welding up my dock and dock supports caused by unnecessary plowing.

My Ride
    2007 Chaparral 276 SSX
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the folks at 5-65 and always enjoy Chesnie's... I feel bad for them as well as Bulldogs... this won't help business... that's not a short haul back there from the channel at idle... I'm not exactly excited about having to idle all of the way back to Red Oak for every weigh in during the BBB either.

My Ride
    340 Mach 1
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've always cut to an idle at the end of the cove. It's not that bad of a ride. Look at the distance you have to idle back to Red Head / PBC. I think it will be great because now you can relax and enjoy your time instead of worrying about some a$$ hat plowing by and rocking the docks while you are eating/drinking.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Post Thanks / Like
    It adds four minutes to your ride at idle pace. The water patrol timed it and presented it at the meeting.

My Ride
    Intrepid, Formula, Cigarette
    Post Thanks / Like
    My tolerance for no wake zones has increased immensely since I started boating in Florida but I pretty much considered that cove (most coves) no wake already. Years ago I would have said that smaller boat would be okay but not since the invention of the wake boat, now same rules should apply to all.
    Never liked those loud obnoxious boats, until I bought one of my own.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ctdarnell I’m not sure where you are located but if you were already protected by a portion of the existing no wake areas you were not eligible to vote.

My Ride
    Wellcraft 32 Express Cruiser
    Post Thanks / Like
    Redheads and Captain Ron's don't seem to be effected by no wake coves. It should have no effect on their business at all. It is a done deal. The bouys are being moved Thursday but the permit was effective immediately.

My Ride
    2007 Chaparral 276 SSX
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Sblack87 View Post
    Redheads and Captain Ron's don't seem to be effected by no wake coves. It should have no effect on their business at all. It is a done deal. The bouys are moving moved Thursday.
    Time will tell I guess... RedHead and Ron's are definitely destinations... not sure I'd qualify Chesnie's as such (my opinion though I'm sure others disagree)... tougher for a gas station where convenience certainly plays a part of the equation in addition to price.

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would be a supporter of virtually all coves becoming no wake coves, with an exclusion for bass boats and waverunners. With all of the inconsiderate captains out there, there is just too much damage being done by them.

Maybe make it a 5 minute rule whereas if it takes 5 minutes or less at no wake to get to the back of the cove, it is automatically no wake. If no wake was 5mph, that would make any cove over 2200 feet long no wake (approximate distance between the main channel and Backwater Jacks). It would not kill anybody to pull back and enjoy the last few minutes on the water.

My Ride
    34 Superboat
    Post Thanks / Like
    I like the idea , gets too dicey in there in the summer with boats coming and going some on plane some idling some on plow.
    Gonna push the traffic going by out from shore some with boats off speed out in the channel somewhat which hopefully will keep them from crossing right in front of the next cove south.