Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 46 to 60 of 60
  1. #46
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Olathe / Heron Bay
    My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Posts
    2,944
    Post Thanks / Like
    Nah man, you haven't even lived unless you put your five year old on a closed now and run the main channel. Talk about a rush!
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

  2. #47
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    58
    Posts
    677
    Post Thanks / Like
    Looks like one more cove is going No Wake. I had a neighbor approach me with a petition to sign to make our cove No Wake. Not sure how I feel about it. On one hand the plowing idiots need to go but I do not think I want to idle over 1000 feet every time I leave or come home.

    What is anyone's experience once a cove goes NO Wake? Does it become a coving out cove? Any other unintended consequences?

  3. #48
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    KC & 8 mm
    Posts
    808
    Post Thanks / Like
    What mm and cove?

  4. #49
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Shawnee Bend Boat Ramp
    My Ride
    25 TT Neptoon
    Age
    73
    Posts
    1,615
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by OP50MM View Post
    Looks like one more cove is going No Wake. I had a neighbor approach me with a petition to sign to make our cove No Wake. Not sure how I feel about it. On one hand the plowing idiots need to go but I do not think I want to idle over 1000 feet every time I leave or come home.

    What is anyone's experience once a cove goes NO Wake? Does it become a coving out cove? Any other unintended consequences?
    Back in the early 60's our cove was no wake. Since most docks were small, it was a perfect ski cove. If one like going in circles. When the MDC put in a boat ramp it became a No Wake cove. As we are towards the back, it doesn't really affect me much, but, no doubt those closer to the main channel it does. Well to a point. They still get all the main channel wakes, but not much from those leaving the cove. Granted it does take longer to leave and return to the dock as we are over 1,400 feet from the main channel, but it's no big deal.

    We do get some folks coving out. Not many, but some. No matter where they anchor, they will get wakes coming in from the main channel.

    The main benefit is that it does keep the jet skiers from buzzing around.
    What happens at the lake, stays at the lake. Unless I have a camera handy.

  5. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Elsberry, MO - 26MM
    My Ride
    Cafe Racer & 2 Champions
    Age
    40
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Baja 252 View Post
    What mm and cove?
    Lord let it be Crabtree Cove.....
    Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?

  6. #51
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis/26mm
    My Ride
    24 ft Four Winns
    Posts
    788
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadStinger View Post
    Lord let it be Crabtree Cove.....
    I assume you are out past Papa's? home to the jet skis and tubers? I am at the end.....nary a wave

  7. #52
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    Shawnee Bend Boat Ramp
    My Ride
    25 TT Neptoon
    Age
    73
    Posts
    1,615
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE GHOST View Post
    I assume you are out past Papa's? home to the jet skis and tubers? I am at the end.....nary a wave
    Ya can't have a wave unless ya gots water.
    What happens at the lake, stays at the lake. Unless I have a camera handy.

  8. #53
    Join Date
    Mar 2007
    Location
    Elsberry, MO - 26MM
    My Ride
    Cafe Racer & 2 Champions
    Age
    40
    Posts
    659
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by THE GHOST View Post
    I assume you are out past Papa's? home to the jet skis and tubers? I am at the end.....nary a wave
    I'm midway back, in a small finger off the main cove, but have had 4 footers from "surfing" splash right over the decking on the dock, actually causing my 4yr old to fall off the dock. She was fine, but boy would I love to give some of those people a piece of my mind. I watched my neighbors boat fall off his hoist (it broke) due to those same waves. Makes me want to get the Cig out and just plow in circles behind their docks, but it doesn't solve anything. You just can't fix stupid. Between that and the crazy obsession over turtles that this guy on a seadoo with his kids have.......not sure which is more annoying. Buzzes 25' off my dock at full throttle, shuts it down to show his kids turtles in the back of the cove, like clockwork, every weekend. Kudos to him for doing things for the kids - but geez man, slow it down that close to a dock - I got little ones too! I've asked him to slow it down, hey - it's no wake, please have a little respect, then finally yelled at the guy. Either he's deaf or just doesn't care. I'm going with doesn't care. Perfect role model for his kids.
    Why is "abbreviation" such a long word?

  9. #54
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis/26mm
    My Ride
    24 ft Four Winns
    Posts
    788
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by RMDye View Post
    Ya can't have a wave unless ya gots water.
    Hey I even have water in the yard this year!

  10. #55
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Age
    58
    Posts
    677
    Post Thanks / Like
    Well, I have dove into the law and regs for No Wake coves and they are interesting. One of the items that jumped out at me is the difference on how personal and No Wake cove buoys are handled. Personal buoy permits do not automatically stay with the property but must be reapplied for by the new home owner. However, the No Wake cove permits are basically taken over by whoever is the property owner is the permit holder even if it changes hands. So the permits are in perpetual. Further, the only one's who can vote on the No Wake are those in the "affected" area. For example, if a cove is partially No Wake because the mouth of the cove is greater than 400 feet, only those that are in the "affected area" get to vote. Although, partial NO Wake is established those just to the outside are greatly affected because that is were everyone leaving the No Wake starts to establish plane (or in our case those behind the No Wake just plow out of the cove). As well as, those using the cove turn before the No Wake buoys. I believe the term "affected" needs to include the entire cove because everyone is affected and those permits should be reapplied for every ten years. The lake changes a lot in ten years.

  11. #56
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Age
    71
    Posts
    37
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have had 6 good friends sell lakefront property in the last 4 years and all of them told me that the best statement that they could include when listing their property is "located in no wake cove". From what I have seen I hate to see what the Lake will look like in 10 years.

  12. #57
    Join Date
    Jun 2014
    Location
    Illinois/LOTO
    My Ride
    Triton SF-21
    Posts
    84
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BadStinger View Post
    I'm midway back, in a small finger off the main cove, but have had 4 footers from "surfing" splash right over the decking on the dock, actually causing my 4yr old to fall off the dock. She was fine, but boy would I love to give some of those people a piece of my mind. I watched my neighbors boat fall off his hoist (it broke) due to those same waves. Makes me want to get the Cig out and just plow in circles behind their docks, but it doesn't solve anything. You just can't fix stupid. Between that and the crazy obsession over turtles that this guy on a seadoo with his kids have.......not sure which is more annoying. Buzzes 25' off my dock at full throttle, shuts it down to show his kids turtles in the back of the cove, like clockwork, every weekend. Kudos to him for doing things for the kids - but geez man, slow it down that close to a dock - I got little ones too! I've asked him to slow it down, hey - it's no wake, please have a little respect, then finally yelled at the guy. Either he's deaf or just doesn't care. I'm going with doesn't care. Perfect role model for his kids.
    I usually hold my phone up and follow them like Im taking a video. Its surprising how well this works...

  13. #58
    Join Date
    May 2019
    My Ride
    Tritoon
    Posts
    2
    Post Thanks / Like
    Has not happened in Standing Rock Cove.

  14. #59
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    St. Louis/26mm
    My Ride
    24 ft Four Winns
    Posts
    788
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Pakman224 View Post
    Has not happened in Standing Rock Cove.
    Maybe it's only when the lake is open....isn't it closed now?

  15. #60
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Location
    Bellevue / LOTO
    My Ride
    36-NorTech Cat "Suppression"
    Posts
    1,789
    Post Thanks / Like
    Depending on the size of the cove that's exactly what will happen. There are only a few No Anchoring Coves that I know of.
    "Luck is when Preparation meets Opportunity"

    www.associatedfire.net

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
MWBP Sponsors









Yellow Pages