My Ride
    Regal 2300 RX
    Post Thanks / Like

Buying condo questions

Iíve asked in the past and then got a divorce instead lol. Iím storing my boat at lake this summer and renting every weekend is getting expensive. Iíd like to spend around 150k and want at least a 12x32 slip. Anyone have anything for sale by owner? Iím looking at a couple units this weekend. Harbour Bay and Miramar. Any pros or cons for either location?

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Make sure to add in the cost of monthly/quarterly HOA dues. The amounts from one complex to another can vary quite a bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    I am not familiar with these 2 properties, but in all condo purchases:

Always, Always Always, get at least the last 2 years of HOA meeting minutes. This way you will know where they are financially, any past and upcoming issues which could translate into a "Special Assessment".

Another thing to look at is the percentage of rentals in the complex. Also check how many are listed on VRBO etc... If you are looking at a nice unit, having a unit next to you or on top of you that is consistently rented out, may... Be a nightmare if the unit is just a party pad!
    B&B
    20.5 mm LOTO

My Ride
    cobalt 360
    Post Thanks / Like
    There are several of us in here that are at harbour bay. Nice complex. Make sure you get a slip with your condo as you wonít be able to buy one later. Also lowest assessments but the Board does like to add a special assessment for major purchases or big projects. For example last year it was 500 for a gate to property and this year it was 500 for additional maintenance needed. Canít beat location and view
    Live, Love, & Laugh

Post Thanks / Like
    Sent you pm.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bajaholic View Post
    I am not familiar with these 2 properties, but in all condo purchases:

Always, Always Always, get at least the last 2 years of HOA meeting minutes. This way you will know where they are financially, any past and upcoming issues which could translate into a "Special Assessment".

Another thing to look at is the percentage of rentals in the complex. Also check how many are listed on VRBO etc... If you are looking at a nice unit, having a unit next to you or on top of you that is consistently rented out, may... Be a nightmare if the unit is just a party pad!
    Good input here in this thread. Wife is pushing to sell the lake house and going to condo life. I am not a fan of sharing walls, but I am open to the input here. Thanks.

My Ride
    cobalt 360
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by DaNinja View Post
    Good input here in this thread. Wife is pushing to sell the lake house and going to condo life. I am not a fan of sharing walls, but I am open to the input here. Thanks.
    The grass is always greener on the other side. To each their own. Pros and cons of both. Someday we will own a house at the lake when life changes and I want to sit on the dock with friends and family. But for now my priorities are get to the lake on Friday and leave Sunday or Monday. Never worried about maintenance just turn the lights off and water off and we are out. Bbq, shower and sleep is all we do at the condo in the summer. In winter we spend more time in the condo watching tv etc. but that’s when it’s quiet anyway.
    Live, Love, & Laugh

My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    I looked at a 1 bedroom in Lake Ozark area, with a 12 x 30 slip,,,, priced at 69k...... Nice inside .... Dues were dirt cheap and included electricity. Had I not purchased a trailer at F&L I was going to get this ....
    Life is gooder in retirement !!!! - Endless Summer Live Life !!!

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerat View Post
    I looked at a 1 bedroom in Lake Ozark area, with a 12 x 30 slip,,,, priced at 69k...... Nice inside .... Dues were dirt cheap and included electricity. Had I not purchased a trailer at F&L I was going to get this ....
    Where?? Less than $500/Qtr dues??

My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    Koala Bear Condominium - Dues were $171 per month --- Assessments include Dock, water,sewer,electric,cable and internet. Amenities includepool,laundry,boat ramp,kids play ground,and swim platform ---- Still for sale -- It really is nice inside, no privacy on the deck, but nice inside and the slip is nice ---> https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...10715137_zpid/

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by bms26 View Post
    Iíve asked in the past and then got a divorce instead lol. Iím storing my boat at lake this summer and renting every weekend is getting expensive. Iíd like to spend around 150k and want at least a 12x32 slip. Anyone have anything for sale by owner? Iím looking at a couple units this weekend. Harbour Bay and Miramar. Any pros or cons for either location?
    Thereís a good group of people at Harbour Bay. All of the docks are newer Ozark Barge & Dock w/ a nice breakwater. Awesome main channel views w/ a great water location. Although some people may complain about the toll bridge, Harbour Bay is located right between the two most highly sought after developments on the lake (The Villages and Porto Cima).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    I would not buy anything at the lake without working with a pro, like Terry Summers. Terry knows the ins and outs of many complexes, local ordinances, demands, etc. When we were looking, I even had him look at some FSBO's for me. If I purchased one, I was going to pay a fee, but we ended up buying something that was listed.

We had a condo for 16 years, and for about the last 6-8 years I did not like it. We never heard anything out of the folks that we shared walls with, but after they replaced the carpet in the unit above us with laminate, we could hear EVERYTHING. To boot, they had 2 large dogs. You could hear every footstep that they took. Worse yet, they were renters, so they really never cared about anything. It seems that many of the older condos were built back before they paid much attention to sound isolation.

That said, condos like Seascape (and I am sure others) are built so that no sound penetrates the walls or floors (concrete and gypcrete). Now that we have a house, we do not have to hear any of that. With that, just about any house can turn into "condo" living by hiring out whatever it is that you do not want to do. When compared to HOA's and special assessments that pop up, you might find it easier and cheaper top stay in the house.

The biggest reason for a house is to have a private dock. Community docks are a great place to keep a boat, but your own dock is a place to "live" on the water. We find ourselves spending more and more time just relaxing on the dock watching the action on the main channel.

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Lakerat View Post
    Koala Bear Condominium - Dues were $171 per month --- Assessments include Dock, water,sewer,electric,cable and internet. Amenities includepool,laundry,boat ramp,kids play ground,and swim platform ---- Still for sale -- It really is nice inside, no privacy on the deck, but nice inside and the slip is nice ---> https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...10715137_zpid/
    About the same as Heron Bay but we have to pay electric and internet.

My Ride
    Freedom Boat Club
    Post Thanks / Like
    Exactly ..... This place is a cheap way to get to the lake, or in my case justify 30 to 60 days a year ..... This trailer thing we are doing is not to bad ..... Once we get all the remodel done it will be cozy ...... Kind of fun going to Franky and Louies anytime, Kinda like the Dorsey Days at Heron Bay

My Ride
    Regal 2300 RX
    Post Thanks / Like
    I pulled the trigger finally and bought at Harbour Bay. Close middle of July. I used Terry Summers and highly recommend him. Great guy!