Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like

Fume detector education

Can someone educate me, please. Is something this cheap actually going to add some safety factor?

https://www.amazon.com/SEACHOICE-Sea...gateway&sr=8-4

I'm just wondering why boats don't come from the factory with them if $100 actually makes a difference.
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    My boat came with a factory installed fume detector.

Post Thanks / Like
    I didn't know that gasoline vapor detectors were so inexpensive and readily available. (Fireboy-Xintex makes one, too, that you can buy for $155. https://www.boatstore.com/fireboy-xi...-detector.html

Why a manufacturer wouldn't install one is beyond me. At the very least, you'd be able to tell a jury that you at least did SOMETHING to help prevent a gas explosion.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Last time I looked into it, two seasons ago, I remember thinking I needed to spend $400 and find a place at the helm for the panel. I was surprised to see those two inexpensive options yesterday.

Post Thanks / Like
    I'll tell you one thing, those fuel vapors are volatile! absolutely! Fume detectors are important, avoiding spills during fueling operations is another. I personally don't think boat makers think about it when they manufacture their product, its like herding cattle, move em out! So its up to the "educated" boaters to "equip" their toys accordingly....

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    I ordered that one. My boat is so old things like fuel tank lifespan are starting to haunt my sleep.

PS: now I can say I ordered an MTI.
    Last edited by Dredd; 06-18-2019 at 11:30 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Ah, now I understand, you are worried about your boats fuel cell integrity. I would have it inspected by a qualified mechanic. I know my Chris Crafts fuel tank can be accessed from the top deck, I pulled the cover on mine, and it looked "ok" I checked all the vent lines for cracking, and the fuel filler line clamps for security, it checked out a-ok. If you can access your fuel cells, grab a flash light and check for cracks, cracked vent lines etc. I read in boating's mag that there are qualified mechanics that come to your boat and up grade it, or make it safe. Good luck!

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    No shit, a mechanic can look at mechanical things? Thanks for the useful post.

My Ride
    38 EC Fountain/252 Formula
    Post Thanks / Like
    I have a 93 formula that has one in it. It doesn’t work. The one it has you have to turn it on manually. You would think it would be automatic? Or is the idea you would turn it on prior to turning the key on?? I have had a boat with a leaking gas tank. It’s scary when you find it. Luckily we didn’t have any issues.

My Ride
    1995 Chris Craft 33 Crowne
    Post Thanks / Like
    Let us know how things go after you install it. I would be interested to know if it goes off while fueling, or even a "controlled test" of doing something like spinning off your fuel filter.

My Ride
    1992 24' baja outlaw whippled
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Dredd View Post
    No shit, a mechanic can look at mechanical things? Thanks for the useful post.
    Don’t waste money on a mechanic, just take the access cover off a look around in there with a lighter
    Midwest Boat Party - Business Operations

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by baditude View Post
    Donít waste money on a mechanic, just take the access cover off a look around in there with a lighter
    That will give you a clean slate to work with.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by flatrate View Post
    I have a 93 formula that has one in it. It doesnít work. The one it has you have to turn it on manually. You would think it would be automatic? Or is the idea you would turn it on prior to turning the key on?? I have had a boat with a leaking gas tank. Itís scary when you find it. Luckily we didnít have any issues.
    I'm afraid that's how this one might be. I asked on Amazon and didn't get an answer but got antsy and ordered it anyway.

Post Thanks / Like
    Marine environments are harsh and engine compartments are probably worse. I would think the reliability would be questionable. I would regular use of vent fan is more reliable to clear fumes if that is what you are worried about.

I know CO detectors rely on a chemical that gets depleted over time. I would think other detectors work similarly. I would think high humidity would affect the detector.

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Justfishing View Post
    Marine environments are harsh and engine compartments are probably worse. I would think the reliability would be questionable. I would regular use of vent fan is more reliable to clear fumes if that is what you are worried about.

I know CO detectors rely on a chemical that gets depleted over time. I would think other detectors work similarly. I would think high humidity would affect the detector.
    I run my blower regularly. The thought behind the fume detector is to validate that the blower is doing its job adequately and to bring awareness to any bigger issue. For $50 more you can get a detector with a relay that'll turn the blower on automatically if it senses fumes. I think that's cool but not necessary on a fairly simple boat like mine.
    Good point about the life of the sensor.