Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Post Thanks / Like

Ha Ha Tonka by boat

Has anyone ever visited Ha Ha Tonka for a few hours by boat?

I hear there are places to dock but not sure how close to the attractions they are or how easily accessible they are?

Whatís worth checking out, if anything?

I donít think Iíve ever been more than 2-3 miles up the niangua, is it worth the trip (with 2 toddlers)? We would be coming from 26 MM main channel.

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    What a great ride up to HaHaTonka. We have gone up there about once a year.
    Once you get there by boat, not allot to see. The castle is about 14 kajillion steps up the stairs. The “cool” part about HaHaTonka by water is the spring that flows cold water. It keeps the cove unusually cold, even when it is hot. There is also some “cliff diving” that happens back there, but I do not suspect the toddlers are ready for that! You’d be better off checking out the castle by car.

Coming back from HHT, be sure to stop and get some frozen custard! Once you go under the bridge it is at the end of a dock on the left.

Have fun!

My Ride
    340 Mach 1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Is the custard at Cave View marina?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Gjpippitt View Post
    Is the custard at Cave View marina?

Yep, that is it.

My Ride
    340 Mach 1
    Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome thanks!!

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    Docking the boat at HHT is fine. The docks say boats less than 26' only which makes no sense and nobody monitors them. The toddler thing might be an issue. There is a LOTO of uphill walking and stairs to get to the castle, but you can always just turn around. The views are fantastic. You could go to Bridal Cave also which is few miles before you get to HHT. They have docks as well.

My Ride
    Waverunner / Work loaners
    Post Thanks / Like
    I've made that step pilgrimage with the boys when they were younger,and it is a little ..grim.316 steps(= 26 story building more or less ha) plus hills. Worth doing once. Maybe a hit of Symbicort first. Worked for this gal......... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-KGhkb9020

My Ride
    Rinker 272
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's way up there for sure. I was looking at that cliff flying in Friday from a direction I usually don't come from thinking, man that's pretty we'll have to boat over there to see that.. then I realized it was Haha as I got closer.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Midwest Boat Party - Technical Operations

My Ride
    2016 Manitou Legacy LT SRS
    Post Thanks / Like
    It's Simply an AWFUL place to cove out...

Trust me.

My Ride
    33 Outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    when pulling into HHT there are docks on the left side as well. If the toddlers can walk the trail (not steep or treacherous) I think it's an easier, faster way to get up to the castle. We did it when it was super hot, I think it was about a 30 minute hike in the shade.

My Ride
    29 outlaw
    Post Thanks / Like
    Don’t go too far past that entrance to the cove. There are some Enders in there you can’t really see. I.E., season Enders

Post Thanks / Like
    Awesome info, thanks! We will
    Probably cruise down the and check it out at least. Not sure if we will make the trek up to the castle or not. At least worth checking out part of the lake I’ve never been to before.

Navionics seems to think it is super shallow anywhere past the 54 bridge. I know tbird mentioned not going past the Ha Ha cove but what about from the bridge to the cove?

My Ride
    Formula 370SS
    Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by brclark82 View Post
    Awesome info, thanks! We will
    Probably cruise down the and check it out at least. Not sure if we will make the trek up to the castle or not. At least worth checking out part of the lake I’ve never been to before.

Navionics seems to think it is super shallow anywhere past the 54 bridge. I know tbird mentioned not going past the Ha Ha cove but what about from the bridge to the cove?
    Navionics is very accurate. Just stay on the side with the rock wall (left when heading there). When you get to HaHaTonka Cove go to the far side of the mouth where you see boat docks before you turn left into the cove as the near side can be shallow. Have fun!

My Ride
    32 Active Thunder
    Post Thanks / Like
    The left side entering HHT cove is very shallow and has some buoy markers. Also, there is large tree in the middle of the channel that sticks only about 3' out of the water about a mile before HHT cove. It is not marked with any buoys.

Post Thanks / Like
    Quote Originally Posted by Griff View Post
    The left side entering HHT cove is very shallow and has some buoy markers. Also, there is large tree in the middle of the channel that sticks only about 3' out of the water about a mile before HHT cove. It is not marked with any buoys.

Yep, do not cut the inside of HaHa Tonka cove. And like Griff said, that big stump just past the Hwy 54 bridge could catch your attention dramatically. Have not been down there recently, but surprised nobody has put a marker and a solar light on it.